SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Help me sling my AR
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me sling my AR Login/Join 
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input, ARMT Guy!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38601 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I've owned many many slings in the past 20 years and I agree with the poster above about Savvy Sniper slings. They are by far the best sling you can buy on the market today, in my experience. I do own and like the Vickers slings, but they are not Savvy Sniper slings.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
What light mount and rings? I need to mount a light on a magpul fore end just like that one.

I have that same setup. The mount is made by Impact Weapons Components, and it bolts directly to the Surefire scout flashlight, no rings needed. As I understand it, they do make a ring that bolts directly to that style of mount if you want to use a regular flashlight and not a Surefire style scout light.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
What light mount and rings? I need to mount a light on a magpul fore end just like that one.

I have that same setup. The mount is made by Impact Weapons Components, and it bolts directly to the Surefire scout flashlight, no rings needed. As I understand it, they do make a ring that bolts directly to that style of mount if you want to use a regular flashlight and not a Surefire style scout light.

Thanks. Went to IWC and made a purchase.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Very timely and appreciated thread!

Just now ordered a sling from Blue Force Gear.

Was able to order the sling mounts needed, as well, after help from Matthew in their CS dept. made several very helpful suggestions. They are top notch so far and looking forward to the sling.

The mounts were ordered separately, but no problem, and everything should hopefully be on its way, soon Smile

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:

Was able to order the sling mounts needed, as well, after help from Matthew in their CS dept. made several very helpful suggestions. They are top notch so far and looking forward to the sling.

The mounts were ordered separately, but no problem, and everything should hopefully be on its way, soon Smile

The sling I ordered a few weeks ago just arrived, and I really like it. Very high quality. I also bought two QD swivels which work really well, too. I am going to order one, maybe two more of the same sling. I hope you like yours!

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Great news!

So glad to hear that you like yours and plan to order more.

Have only the one AR9, but everyone has to start somewhere Smile

Called and spoke with Matthew. He said the plain slings ship faster than the ones with attachments. As the one needed for the forend was out of stock at the manufacturer, decided to look for it elsewhere and was able to find that and also one for the buttstock, so ordered those and then jumped back to BFG to order a plain Vickers sling.

With Matthew's suggestions, it all sort of fell together.

Very pleased.

*When* things calm down again, plan to see about more long guns Big Grin

Thanks again for this thread!

Still finding my way with the AR platform, so all this is great stuff!

Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:

I've had the pleasure of speaking with Matthew on a number of occasions. He's an absolute wealth of information, quite pleasant to talk with and will do everything in his power to help a person out.

I hope everything comes together for you. I know they're exceptionally busy over there at BFG, ( as I'm sure everyone is in the firearms/firearms accessories industries, ) but they're doing a helluva job meeting the huge demand.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

Was very surprised and pleased by the speed of his responses and indeed his wealth of knowledge.

Matthew is the sort of person every CS department needs.

He was also a pleasure with whom to speak.

Really looking forward to adding this sling.

PS - went polymer, 'cuz i am a composite kinda guy Wink

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yeah, BFG customer service is outstanding.

Their whole crew is great, in fact.

I had a brief flicker of interweb fame ~3 years ago, when I had the opportunity to design a special edition Thin Blue Line VCAS sling for them, which ended up being selected for production.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
The sling arrived, today!!!

That's four days.

Amazing Big Grin

(waiting for the attachment hardware to arrive, next)

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Them Georgia boys- they's alright.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Indeed.

Very, very pleased.

Amazing service.

Need more long guns, so i kin order more slings Big Grin

Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Late entrant but what is the BFG, Savvy Sniper et all advantage over a butler creek price point?

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
Late entrant but what is the BFG, Savvy Sniper et all advantage over a butler creek price point?

Basically, the BC slings are simple, 2 point slings that are primarily designed to allow a person to sling a commercial rifle on their shoulder, where the SS and BFG slings are designed for heavier/LE and military weapons usage. They're not merely slings that one uses to throw a rifle on the shoulder and stroll through the woods looking for bambi.

The SS and BFG slings also provide for weapon retention with either a single point, two point or both attachment methods.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Correct. The biggest difference comes from the fact that the VCAS and similar slings are not intended for use to sling the rifle over the shoulder with the muzzle in the air, like on a hunting rifle.

Instead, they're intended to carry a fighting rifle cross-body in the "patrol ready" position, to allow for rapid reactions to threats.

They also allow the user to let go of the rifle altogether and let it lay across the front of their body, if use of both hands are needed (climbing/grabbing/dragging/cuffing/etc.), or if they need to rapidly transition to drawing a handgun because their rifle goes down.

They also feature a quick-adjust slider, to allow the user to rapidly tighten or loosen the sling, to allow for doing things like creating a bigger loop to allow switching firing shoulders, or snugging the rifle up to the body to minimize movement when both hands are removed from the rifle and then loosening it back out when it's time to use the rifle again. This slider can also be used to create tension on the rifle, to aid in steadying it.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Was hoping there was something to it.
I'm probably the only one picturing hamburger foot in that last pic, I can't unsee it that way. Eek

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
If you're referring to the guy muzzling his foot, then that's a side effect of how loose his sling is currently, plus the way he has his sling set up, with the forward sling attachments pretty far back on the handguard. This has caused the rifle to hang in a nearly vertical position. (It also tends to cause the barrel to swing down and hit you in the balls if you have to suddenly release the rifle.)

I prefer mine with the forward sling attachment further out, closer to around 1/2 or 2/3 of the way down the handguard towards the muzzle of the rifle. This causes the rifle to lay more diagonally across the body when not actively being held.

Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Got it all put together and installed on me birfday... Smile