SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Help me sling my AR
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me sling my AR Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
I've never had a sling on any of my long guns before, but now I feel the need to put something on an AR. With everything going on right now, I could see me needing to stand outside my house for several hours in order to protect my family. What type of sling would be best for that need? What slink (VTAC, Magpul etc) would you recommend? I have an AR with an MLok compatible fore end, and a Magpul stock with a QD attachment point. If you recommend a single-point sling, I'd have to rig some way to attach it.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Single points have very limited utility. Mostly heavy body armor and working out of a vehicle.

For two points, VTAC, VCAS, Magpul, and many others will do the trick. I like the VTAC with a QD on each end myself. Rear attachment point mounted on the outside of the stock to pull the rifle in and front attachment point near the barrel nut to limit the size of the sling "loop" and keep stuff from getting snagged.

There are other arguments for mounting the front farther out and the rear at the back of the receiver. This is what has worked for me as a patrol cop

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
I use the Blue Force Gear Vickers sling
https://www.blueforcegear.com/vickers-sling

QD to the rear of the stock, and a loop attachment on the forend.

It works well for me. I like the quick adjustability of it-my gun stays nice and tight to me when needed, but has room to move when I need it.

Posts: 1625 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m499
posted Hide Post
I'll second the Vickers Tactical Sling with QD on each end. Simple, quick-adjust, everything you need, nothing you don't.

I've tried the single point slings and the overly complicated three point style, I always come back to the quick adjust two point sling.

Here's an article(older, but still valid) discussing the different types of slings:

Tactical Slings

.-.-.-.

Posts: 2676 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
My favorite is a padded Vickers sling.
QD front and rear attachments on my DD V7.

Posts: 12536 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have several of the Magpul MS4 slings with QD attachments at both ends. Although I agree that a single point setup is seldom ideal, sometimes it’s better. The photo at the link shows it configured for single point attachment, but it can be quickly switched to a QD at each end for two point. The other thing I like about the sling is that the slider can be used to quickly shorten or lengthen the sling as necessary: just push or pull.

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...319121313?pid=537110

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Blue Force Gear Vickers Sling

There's no better quality sling available to you, no matter how much it costs, and they have some of the very best customer service I've ever encountered, for any product of any kind. If you're not happy, BFG will do what it takes to make you happy. All my using ARs wear these slings. I couldn't be happier. I use the unpadded. You can buy these slings pre-made, or you can have them customized to suit your needs.

I can't say enough about the company and their products.

Too expensive? I have one AR which wears a Magpul MS1. It's not as nice as the Vickers and adjustment is slightly slower, but these are perfectly serviceable slings. Magpul offers accessories to make the sling configurable to your needs.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Vickers.
QD F & R on mine

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone! I purchased a Vickers sling and two QD swivels.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
You will not be disappointed with your purchase Smile

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good, bad, I'm the
guy with the gun
Picture of 45ProCarry
posted Hide Post
Blue Force Gear Vickers slings. Wink. I have them on all of my rifles.

Posts: 2343 | Location: USA | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Another Vickers user here.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Timely thread, just ordered a Vickers for my SBR.

Posts: 1621 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Another vote for two point slings.

I had a single point, but after climbing a six foot privacy fence one night and just letting the rifle dangle while I climbed, I learned a hard lesson....anything dangling from your body will invariably whack you in the jewels at the worst time....

I went back to the tried and true USGI green nylon (or canvas) sling

https://www.amazon.com/Windy-C...id=1598654763&sr=8-5

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
Blue Force Gear's slings are installed on most all of my ARs, Mini 14 and Benelli M4.

I prefer to use their Custom Sling Builder option. For anyone visiting the Savannah area, BFG has their retail store open. They've got one nice store in there!

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Anther satisfied Blue Force Vickers user. Have them on my fighting AR, AK pistol and my defensive shotgun.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
BFG and BFG padded. Don’t look back.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Me too. BFG is the best. I really like the padded version. But I've also tried one of the Magpul 2-point slings that operates much like the Vickers. A coworker bought a MS-1 when we ran out of the BFG slings, then modded it to use paraclips for his attachment method. Not a bad alternative, the Magpul.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of c_zielsdorf
posted Hide Post
I've got several BFG's, I love them. I recently ordered a few Slingsters from the recommendation of my last instructor.

Disabled combat vet

Posts: 1409 | Location: WY | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stand in front of your house anything will do. Add doing other stuff and it gets more complicated. I prefer 2 point so that I can carry it and do tasks that take two hands. And when running and when climbing and when etc. etc.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post