https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/3750039374

August 30, 2020, 06:53 PM
RichardC
Help me sling my AR
And then, there is the Proctor sling:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...520042954#5520042954

August 31, 2020, 07:09 AM
myrottiety
I know I'm late to this thread. But my Savy Sniper is my favorite sling.

https://savvysniper.com/slings

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.
August 31, 2020, 11:55 AM
ruger357
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Blue Force Gear Vickers Sling

There's no better quality sling available to you, no matter how much it costs, and they have some of the very best customer service I've ever encountered, for any product of any kind. If you're not happy, BFG will do what it takes to make you happy. All my using ARs wear these slings. I couldn't be happier. I use the unpadded. You can buy these slings pre-made, or you can have them customized to suit your needs.

I can't say enough about the company and their products.

Too expensive? I have one AR which wears a Magpul MS1. It's not as nice as the Vickers and adjustment is slightly slower, but these are perfectly serviceable slings. Magpul offers accessories to make the sling configurable to your needs.

What light mount and rings? I need to mount a light on a magpul fore end just like that one.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
August 31, 2020, 05:00 PM
sigfreund
A question for users of the BFG Vickers sling who practice transition drills from one shoulder to the other:

The one video I found that demonstrates the transition with the BFG sling indicates that the step in the process after extending the sling with the slider is to drop one’s elbow through the sling to form a “neck loop” before switching shoulders. Although that’s relatively fast and not normally difficult, it is an extra step that I’m not accustomed to with the Magpul sling. Using the Magpul slider extends the length enough so that the butt of the rifle can be switched to the other shoulder without changing the original position of the sling that runs under the support side arm.

It seems to me that the difference between the two slings is that the maximum Magpul extension must be longer than what’s possible with the BFG sling.

My question, therefore, is that maximum extension length of the BFG sling because how it is configured? I.e., could it be adjusted so that the maximum extension with the quick adjust slider would be long enough to transition to the opposite shoulder without forming the neck loop first? Or is the process limited by the construction of the sling itself?

Video I’m referring to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXs_3jGejxs

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
August 31, 2020, 05:17 PM
Chris17404
sigfreund, some food for thought on the “neck loop”. To me it makes sense to keep the rifle slung solely around your neck when actively engaging targets or ready. And only put your arm through the sling when you’re ready to stow it.

Link to original video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GLSFObuF_IU

August 31, 2020, 05:27 PM
sigfreund
quote:
Originally posted by Chris17404:
sigfreund, some food for thought on the “neck loop”:

Yes, food for thought.

I’d have to experiment with that method a bit more, but after a quick first trial what strikes me (NPI) is that the gun hangs almost the same as it would with a one point sling and its disadvantage of positioning it directly between one’s legs. I could, however, see that it would have benefits with a sling that’s not quickly adjustable for length like the BFG or Magpul.

Added: And because it can be used to transition from one shoulder to the other with nonadjustable slings, it’s something I’ve put in my good ideas box. The people I teach often have a hodgepodge of slings on their carbines, and more often than not, slings that can’t be easily adjusted for length. In the past when I’ve had them do transition drills it’s been necessary to direct them to unsling entirely, and that always bothered me for LEOs. I will start having them use the neck loop carry when appropriate. So thanks for that. Smile

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
August 31, 2020, 06:49 PM
jljones
The only thing I have to add is get the padded BFG or VTAC. If you are going to have the gun slung for more than 10 minutes, you'll appreciate the padded sling.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

August 31, 2020, 06:53 PM
jljones
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
A question for users of the BFG Vickers sling who practice transition drills from one shoulder to the other:

While from a personal level, I see no need to transition shoulders on a carbine, it can be done with a two point if (and I believe only if) you have the rear sling mount in a B5 type adapter above the pistol grip, and the front mount all the way to the rear of the front rail.

You run the sling all the way out, and use the arm to guide the front of the sling under the forearm.

www.opspectraining.com

August 31, 2020, 07:12 PM
Voshterkoff
Jones, have you found the padded sling to hang up on a plate carrier?
August 31, 2020, 08:25 PM
jljones
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:

Not at all. I have been using the BFG padded for a bunch of years now. During that time, I’ve worn the PPI Operator vest, SKD PIG, and LBT 6094.

No issues.

www.opspectraining.com

August 31, 2020, 08:34 PM
RogueJSK
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
My question, therefore, is that maximum extension length of the BFG sling because how it is configured? I.e., could it be adjusted so that the maximum extension with the quick adjust slider would be long enough to transition to the opposite shoulder without forming the neck loop first?

Yes, that is possible. That's how I originally had my VCAS slings set up.

But in order for there to be enough slack for shoulder transitions when the slider is fully released, it requires the sling to be set up so that it's already somewhat loose when the slider is fully tightened down.

I quickly realized that I wanted the sling to be able to get cinched down to my body as tightly and as stable as possible, to totally minimize rifle movement when both hands are occupied elsewhere, more than I wanted to be able to quickly transition shoulders.

So now I rig my VCAS slings so that they're tight when fully cinched down, and just practice dropping my support elbow out of the loop during shoulder transitions.
August 31, 2020, 09:31 PM
Voshterkoff
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:

Not at all. I have been using the BFG padded for a bunch of years now. During that time, I’ve worn the PPI Operator vest, SKD PIG, and LBT 6094.

No issues.

Thank you for the quick reply. I suppose I should pick up a couple padded slings to try. It would probably work well with the FAL I just picked up.
August 31, 2020, 09:37 PM
RogueJSK
quote:
Thank you for the quick reply. I suppose I should pick up a couple padded slings to try. It would probably work well with the FAL I just picked up.

A padded VCAS is exactly what I used on my FAL. And now it's on the M1A that replaced it.

I don't notice the padding as much on standard ARs, so those get standard VCAS slings. But it definitely helps on the 10+ pound battle rifles.

August 31, 2020, 09:39 PM
sigfreund
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
So now I rig my VCAS slings so that they're tight when fully cinched down, and just practice dropping my support elbow out of the loop during shoulder transitions.

Thanks; exactly what I was seeking.

6.4/93.6

— Plato
September 03, 2020, 12:35 PM
IndianaBoy
Most of my experience is with the Magpul MS4. The Vickers BFG, Viking Tactics, Procter sling, are all good to go as well.

I have a Grovtec padded biathlon sling for extended periods of carry or for when I anticipate a lot of climbing. It can also be used as a padded two point.

One thing everyone should do is get some active range time with the sling on the rifle, and on your body. It isn't immediately obvious, but some firearms manipulations, even as simple as racking the charging handle, are carried out slightly differently depending on how you have the rifle slung.
September 03, 2020, 01:14 PM
HK Ag
What is the guidance on metal hardware vs plastic hardware on the BFG Vickers sling?

Thanks
September 03, 2020, 01:23 PM
P220 Smudge
I know I’m late to the party, and I would have recommended the BFG sling anyhow, but a product I like to use in conjunction with it when I can is limited rotation QD cups. They help keep the thing from twisting around, which is handy. IWC makes some pretty good ones:

https://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/

September 03, 2020, 02:23 PM
6guns
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
What is the guidance on metal hardware vs plastic hardware on the BFG Vickers sling?

Thanks

I wonder about that too.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>
September 03, 2020, 02:44 PM
nhracecraft
For those interested in the Blue Force Gear VCAS (and a 'member'), Dvor.com is running a sale/'event' for the Unpadded Coyote version w/ Nylon Adjuster at $39.00.

As of right now, it's 'In Stock' and the Sale/'event' expires at midnight on Monday 9/7, so you've 4 days, 9+ hours to get in on the deal. Wink

https://www.dvor.com/blue-forc...er-and-hardware.html

ETA - Here's a gratuitous invite link to join Dvor if you're interested --> https://tap.dvor.com/TH8w

I forget how I joined (someone probably told me about a deal and sent me a link), but it's been a REALLY long time so I don't remember. I will get a 'credit' w/ Dvor if you use the link, but I don't believe you 'need' to be invited to join. Anyway, no pressure, I REALLY just wanted to pass along the deal for those interested in a quality sling. Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!
September 03, 2020, 06:58 PM
ARMT Guy
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:

Thanks

I wonder about that too.

Realistically, no worries with their polymer hardware.

Most of my BFG slings have metal hardware, but that's just my personal preference. There are down sides, ( I feel, ) to the metal hardware though. The metal of the pull tab/adjuster is aluminum while the triglides are steel. Obviously, weight is the first and most noticeable factor. With long-term/ extreme heavy use, rust on the steel triglides might occur. Third, the metal hardware, ( again under extreme use conditions, ) may cause contact wear on a firearm's finish. However, if you're using it under extreme conditions, then everything will experience wear. If one were to have any issues with their BFG sling, contact their customer service and they'll take care of it.

Their polymer hardware is exceptionally tough. A couple of my BFG slings have a mixture of metal and polymer hardware. The weight savings is noticeable. That, along with no worries about the sling hardware causing wear to the finish of the firearm.

If I had my choice, I'd use all aluminum hardware to save weight while having the most strength, but I tend to be a little old-school/overkill on some things. Unfortunately, BFG doesn't offer all aluminum hardware, ( though it was done for a short period early on, ) but I've voiced my request for this option to them a time or two. Wink

Their polymer sling hardware will more than serve the great majority of peoples sling needs for many, many years.

Basically, if you want to save weight, go with the polymer hardware. ( I wouldn't worry about durability, either. BFG is the sole source manufacturer for the USMC's standard issue sling - and it's all polymer hardware. )

If you want the max amount of strength under every possible extreme condition and don't mind some extra weight, then go with the metal hardware.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."