SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Browning BAR MK3 DBM
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning BAR MK3 DBM Login/Join 
Shoulda Coulda
Oughta Woulda
posted
Does anyone have one? I’m looking for a quality made semi-auto 308 and it must be featureless NY legal. General purpose use, just checking the box because I want one. I have 12ga and 5.56 covered already. The other option is an M1A with no muzzle device. Found the Browning for $1300 and mags are very expensive, $90.

Thanks,
Bill

Posts: 543 | Registered: June 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
Hi, I'm in upstate NY so I feel your pain. First, I have zero experience with the Browning BAR MK3 DBM.
I had a Browning BAR Safari II in 30-06. A nice & pretty rifle, it just didn't deliver the accuracy I expected.
I know, a sample of one. The BAR MK3 DBM that you are considering might shoot great, or it might not.

I bought a Springfield Armory M1A, Loaded Model, # MA 9226 which is chambered in .308 Winchester/7.62 X 51.
And just to be clear, I purchased it several years before the NY Safe Act was signed into law.

In 2013, I had a choice, as the M1A had several "features" that made it an "assault weapon" and required registration.
Nope, not going to do that. I contacted SA Custom Shop, No they would not/did not modify for NY compliance.
I sent my 20 round magazines out of NY State. I had spent several years accumulating dozens of the proper GI Pre-Ban 20 round magazines, which before the Safe Act, were legal in NY. Now it's all 10 & 5 round magazines.
When you are limited on magazine capacity by ridiculous state laws, make up for that deficiency in caliber!
I do take the M1A out when big game hunting, in addition to it's regular range trips.

I removed the flash hider/bayonet mount.
I machined the external threads at the barrel muzzle away, and retained the front sight in the barrel splines with a press fit ring in the same location as the OEM castle nut.
It meets the technical specifications of the NY Safe Act, permanently modified negates registration.

Now my M1A has "NO" assault weapon features.
No flash hider.
No bayonet mount.
No threaded barrel at the muzzle.

It's no more of an assault weapon than Remington hunting rifles, Models 4, 74, 7400 or a Browning BAR.
It just looks like one.
(something to consider, Browning BAR with the BOSS system has external threads on the muzzle, you can't have that)

So in my eyes, the M1A is the only choice.
Proven ability, many companies can do upgrades and accurize, lots of cheap box magazines available.
Tons of aftermarket accessories available for the M1A.
Virtually nothing aftermarket available for the Browning BAR series of rifles, and very limited number of people actually qualified to work on them other than the factory.
Need your BAR trigger slicked up a bit? Factory won't touch that one.

AR-10 platform rifles likely could be made NY compliant, but then you'll have one of those "goofy" bent banana NY compliant butt stocks that are almost impossible to use for the intended purpose. (shooting)

When I move out of NY State, my M1A can be easily returned to it's original configuration by barrel replacement.
(but perhaps not inexpensively)
And I will be picking up all of my Pre-Ban magazines just after I head across the state line.

You can contact Springfield Armory and/or SA Custom Shop and see if they do any NY compliance work.

But you are likely served better by contacting Forum Member benny6, as he is one of the M1A wizards here on the Forum.
Email/talk with him and see who he recommends setting up a NY compliant M1A.

I briefly checked the M1A choices on the Springfield Armory website tonight, all of them appear to have some type of flash hider or muzzle break, and all appear to have threading at the muzzle. But call them and verify.

So if you go the M1A path, you'll likely need to send it away for modifications before you can get it handed to you across a gun store counter in NY along with the 4473 form.

The Browning BAR line of rifles are hunting rifles made for occasional use.
The M1A is the semi-automatic variant of a battle rifle.
You just might need a major caliber battle rifle one day.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1537 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoulda Coulda
Oughta Woulda
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the feedback. I would definitely go the custom route on an M1A. I just need to decide on a budget.

Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
Send me an email.
If you are interested and close enough, I could meet you at a range so you could shoot the M1A.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1537 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
If you want a custom M1A, then you'd need to decide on a receiver. Bula, LRB or Fulton. Top-notch rifles can be built on each. E-mail me. I put together some prices for kits and a receiver.

I also just happen to have a new take-off barrel from a NY compliant M1A. I can use this for a build, and it's a medium weight.

tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoulda Coulda
Oughta Woulda
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tony, will do.

Bill

Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
FN-AR?

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post