SIGforum
BL22 lever action

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/3740081874

January 01, 2021, 09:30 AM
got2hav1
BL22 lever action
I have wanted one of these since shooting one with a friend years ago. Finally scratched the itch. 1994 Grade 2.

JEREMIAH 33:3
January 01, 2021, 09:52 AM
Peanut15
Mine is a grade 1 that I have owned for 20 years. I really like the short lever throw. Love that rifle.
January 01, 2021, 11:10 AM
got2hav1
quote:
Originally posted by Peanut15:
Mine is a grade 1 that I have owned for 20 years. I really like the short lever throw. Love that rifle.

A lot of lever actions owners say it is their must fun to shoot gun. If it ever stops raining here I'm going to give it a try !!

January 01, 2021, 11:26 AM
Micropterus
Those are great rifles, still made the way .22s ought to be. And the best tube retention mechanism ever. I've killed many, many squirrels with mine.

January 01, 2021, 12:54 PM
92fstech
I'm a Marlin guy, but I've always wanted to try one of those. Congrats on a beautiful rifle...please let us know how it shoots!
January 01, 2021, 04:13 PM
357fuzz
Congrats on a great rifle

I have my dad’s he must have bought it in the 70’s or 80’s. It has maybe a trillion rounds through it. The only repair that has ever been done with it is a new ejector spring I put in last year. That shirt throw is the bomb. An accurate and great handling little lever gun.

Could someone tell me about the grades? Thanks. Or I could get off my butt and look it up too....
January 01, 2021, 06:14 PM
got2hav1
It's going to be a fun little shooter. Going to have to work on the trigger though. This one is right around 6#. Planning to order a spring kit for it. That should help.

January 01, 2021, 09:43 PM
Micropterus
Good luck putting it in. They are a royal pain in the ass to take apart. Make sure you have good screw drivers, etc.

January 01, 2021, 09:48 PM
flesheatingvirus
Good shooter. I have one, too. I put and old Mossberg trainer scope on it.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --
January 01, 2021, 11:29 PM
YellowJacket
Dad has a nice one with blonde wood. Might get it out and pop a few caps tomorrow actually.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.
January 02, 2021, 02:24 PM
kimberkid
Another Marlin guy here, I bought a BL-22 just because of other people's comments about how great they were ... I didn't care for their action on the lever, maybe it was just mine but it felt mushy at the end of the throw.
It shot well and was comfortable but I just couldn't get past the feel of the lever ... traded it for a Henry "Evil Roy" that caught my eye at a show, silver finish, 16"octagonal barrel and slender forarm like the original Marlin 39.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink
January 09, 2021, 04:20 PM
got2hav1
Was able to go shooting with the BL22 today. Shot a fun 100 rounds this time out. It really is fun to shoot. Did OK with it , but man I can't see that front sight anymore. Trigger wasn't all that bad, I measured it at about 6.5# on my gauge. All in all I am pleased with the purchase.

January 09, 2021, 06:01 PM
Micropterus
But they're accurate, aren't they? I never put a scope on mine. And they are light enough to shoot one-handed. I was leaning against a tree hunting squirrels and I could hear a squirrel coming down a tree at my 8 o'clock. I gripped the rifle with my right hand, twisted around, pulled the butt into my right bicep, and otherwise fired it like a pistol. Head shot, dead squirrel. Never even used my left hand. Great little rifles. I love .22s built as .22s, scaled to .22s, and which handle like .22s. The BL22 is that in spades.

January 09, 2021, 06:48 PM
got2hav1
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
But they're accurate, aren't they? I never put a scope on mine. And they are light enough to shoot one-handed. I was leaning against a tree hunting squirrels and I could hear a squirrel coming down a tree at my 8 o'clock. I gripped the rifle with my right hand, twisted around, pulled the butt into my right bicep, and otherwise fired it like a pistol. Head shot, dead squirrel. Never even used my left hand. Great little rifles. I love .22s built as .22s, scaled to .22s, and which handle like .22s. The BL22 is that in spades.

Yes , they are accurate. Also I was impressed how quickly I could get on target, seemed like the sights were quick to line up, even though the front was a bit blurry for me. Great handling .22.

January 09, 2021, 07:33 PM
jdshank
The price of getting old!
January 10, 2021, 07:22 AM
shoevb
I have hunted squirrels with my uncle for over 30 years who shoots one. He would let me shoot it on occasion. It's such a light and accurate gun.
Maybe I'll inherit it one day (not too soon I hope.)
January 10, 2021, 09:11 AM
got2hav1
quote:
Originally posted by jdshank:
The price of getting old!

I know you are right Smile

January 14, 2021, 02:01 PM
YellowJacket
Nice piece of wood in this one.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.
January 16, 2021, 06:16 PM
got2hav1
Took a better photo today BL22 with my JC Higgins Model 45 in .35 Rem.

January 16, 2021, 10:11 PM
cas
quote:
Originally posted by Peanut15:
I really like the short lever throw.

I shot a friend's once and chuckled that I could work the action basically by opening and closing my hand.