SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    New RIA VR80 12ga.( and Range Report added)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New RIA VR80 12ga.( and Range Report added) Login/Join 
posted
With all the unrest as of late I decided to get a new shotgun for the home/field. I have owned or been issued 12 ga pumps over the years so wanted to try a semi-auto and picked this up last Monday. It's a RIA VR80 12ga, magazine fed shotgun. It came with a fixed stock but I replaced it with Hogue AR-15 telescoping stock and grip. It ergonomically functions almost exactly as a AR so I'm already used to the function. It came with the flip sights as well and the bolt charging handle can be switched to either side. The barrel shroud looks like a suppressor but is mainly for appearance and functions to hold the front handguards on, but will come off to reveal a threaded barrel if you wanted to add a compensator.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tleo205,

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Looks like a beast, very nice.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good looking machine! We need a range report pronto.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sasquatch28:
Good looking machine! We need a range report pronto.

Thanks, I should get it out to a range sometime this coming week.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
why cant they make magazines with a decent amount? 5 rounds seems kinda light

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They also make 9 round mags and 19 round mags. I've got a couple of the 9 round ones I picked up extra so it can be used 9+1 chambered or 5+1 etc.

posted Hide Post
I really dig that thing. That is a good looking gun. I wish they made a high cap. mag. that wasn't so long. Does anyone make a good/reliable drum mag for it?

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
I really dig that thing. That is a good looking gun. I wish they made a high cap. mag. that wasn't so long. Does anyone make a good/reliable drum mag for it?

I don't know if anyone does or not.

Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
Nice purchase. I am interested in your range report.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2225 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Yeah, please let us know how it runs.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3207 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
Yeah, please let us know how it runs.

I finally had time to put some rounds down range so here is a little report on how it runs. The recoil was no worse or maybe slightly less than other 12 ga guns I've run and it shot very well. All the shells were 2 3/4 but it will also take 3" shells.
I put 75 rounds of Fiocchio #7 shot through with no hiccups at all to begin. Next I ran 10 Winchester Defender 1oz slug with no problems and 10 more Remington 1 oz slugs with only one fail to fire. That one turned out to be a bad shell apparently since it would not fire in another shotgun a friend had either.. The last 15 rounds were federal 00 buck with no problems. It had a good tight pattern on small steel plates at 25 yards and at 50 yards the slugs were pinging the steel plate with good groups with no problems. All in all, this is a great shooter with no hiccups at all handling both low and high brass.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tleo205,

Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
RIA VR80 12ga

Specs on the RIA web page call out Mobil Choke - what choke are you using on the various loads?

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4574 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
quote:
RIA VR80 12ga

Specs on the RIA web page call out Mobil Choke - what choke are you using on the various loads?

I was using the cylinder choke on all of them yesterday. It came with that one, a full and a modified choke. I was thinking of picking up an IC to use and next range trip will give the Modified a try. I should have also pointed out that the flip up sights made it very easy to aim at the targets.