SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Sig Rifle Scopes?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig Rifle Scopes? Login/Join 
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted
What do you know about Sig scopes? Does someone make them for Sig? How's the quality? They aren't cheap that's for sure.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Dunno who makes them, and I have no FIRSTHAND knowledge, but I know a few of the people that shot in the "Long Range Reality" TV series that were given the scopes for free and opted to sell them after the season ended, rather than swap them in for their current optic.

Must not be that good.

And yeah, they sure are spendy for a relative newcomer to the glass market.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I say this all the time about sig optics. Why would anyone use one when there are so many proven options available. Unless they do something that moves the needle (price,features,warranty etc.)its just a big risk. The brand name is not worth s*** in this market.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some of them have some nice features, but there seem to also be a lot of proven quality optics with similar features for the same price, or less.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
Dunno who makes them, and I have no FIRSTHAND knowledge, but I know a few of the people that shot in the "Long Range Reality" TV series that were given the scopes for free and opted to sell them after the season ended, rather than swap them in for their current optic.

Must not be that good.

That isn't how the world of pro shooters work. I've received well over a half a dozen guns off the prize table, I kept only two if them. They must not have been good guns.

In reality top level shooters typically have sponsors for everything but their underwear. If they receive something as a prize, even from their own sponsors, unless it is something unique it gets sold.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I say this all the time about sig optics. Why would anyone use one when there are so many proven options available. Unless they do something that moves the needle (price,features,warranty etc.)its just a big risk. The brand name is not worth s*** in this market.

Yup! x10. Especially when SIG have their hands in just about everything, except the kitchen sink.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I played with a few of their Tango models in gun stores, but I haven't shot a gun with one of their scopes mounted on the gun.

I felt the glass quality was comparable to other scopes in the price range. I didn't really see any edge distortion or funky colors.

Zoom and turret controls felt decent, however the turret clicks weren't quite as distinct and crisp as they are with my Nightforce scopes. But not a deal breaker.

IMO Sig fell down with their reticle options. Their SFP reticles were OK, although not really much different than other manufacturer's options. But their FFP reticle is really, really bad. It's MOA, but it doesn't have larger hash marks at 10 or 20 MOA in any direction from the center crosshairs. The reticle just has small hashes for odd-numbered values (i.e. 1, 3, 5 etc) and larger hashes for even numbered values. Get more than a few MOA away from center, and it would be really hard to know what value you're holding or measuring.

Honestly, if their FFP reticle were better designed, the 1-6x model could have been a contender for one of my carbine scopes.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PPGMD:
quote:

Must not be that good.

That isn't how the world of pro shooters work. I've received well over a half a dozen guns off the prize table, I kept only two if them. They must not have been good guns.

In reality top level shooters typically have sponsors for everything but their underwear. If they receive something as a prize, even from their own sponsors, unless it is something unique it gets sold.

At what point did I say they were prizes? Are you even familiar with the show I mentioned? Do you think I don't know 80% of the guys who finished in the top 100 in PRS? Do you not think I've ever picked anything up off a prize table? Big Grin

The show was all about product placement. So they used the scopes all season long.

When the show ended, my friends decided they'd rather go back to their old optics.

Further, we aren't talking about "top level shooters" here. I mean, they are better than average, but they aren't that super. In fact, the two people I personally know, they don't have any sponsors at all. The show is all about creating conflict, etc. So their rifles frequently malfunction, they miss targets and throw stuff, they have a few people who have never even shot before, etc etc. You get the idea.

Roll Eyes

Lastly, the number of sponsors you mention? Maybe in whatever shooting discipline you're into (guessing pistol, maybe 3-gun), but long range rifle is NOT like that, believe you me.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Sig still has a long way to go until the stain of SigTac/iTac is gone. Even last year they were trying to sell iTac crap in a special online deal. And they had red dots as part of that line. People here think the new Romeos are decent. I might get one for a range toy. But serious guns get AimPoints.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
SIG rifles came with scopes either from Kern Aarau, Hensoldt Zeiss or Swarovski and either with STANAG or ZM interface.

Posts: 3773 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
medlem
posted Hide Post
I've got a SIG Whiskey 5 3-15x44 that I have mounted on a hunting rifle. I haven't shot it yet due to the never ending snow we've been getting, but Spring is nearly here. It's "last year's" version, in that it has a 1" tube instead of 30mm and no built in level, but I couldn't pass up the deal at the time.

They have a high MSRP, but a quick search on Amazon showed that I could get it for cheaper. Since the prices fluctuate daily on Amazon, I waited a few days and picked it up for $555 new in box. Shortly after receiving it, I got online and ordered the Sig Ballistic Turret for my current load. A LONG time passed and I hadn't received it, so I gave them a call. I told them how many weeks it had been, and it turns out that was about 3x the normal lead time. 28 hours after hanging up the phone, it was in my hand, so hats off to SIG CS. My only complaint about the scope thus far is that there is no indexing line or dot for the elevation turret on the scope itself. There is one for the windage turret and the illumination setting, so it seemed odd to me. I put a tiny dot of paint on the scope body and called it good.

I wish I had more to say about it, but it's just been sitting on the rifle looking pretty. It replaces a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40, so any review I could give should probably be met with some skepticism since I don't have experience with quality glass. Therefore, I'll just post some pics. Smile

Posts: 2242 | Location: Minnesota  | Registered: September 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
I ordered a scope for my Savage 10BA Stealth in 6.5 Creedmore today. Ordered a Nightforce ATACR 5-25x56mm F1 - ZeroStop™ - .250 MOA - Digillum™ - PTL - MOAR

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dead_Eye
posted Hide Post
I looked through a few in the showroom and I could see the trees 75 yards away as well as any other scope. The associate told me that the glass is from the same company that Nightforce sources from. My takeaway: even if it's the same exact glass (and he didn't say that, just that it came from the same company) that Nightforce uses, why not just buy a Nightforce for the same price? I am glad to see Sig doing well and branching out but some of their new market offerings are priced much higher than it ought to be, particularly when there's no history of reliability, durability and performance.

That said, I bought a Romeo 4 because I've been looking for an Eotech replacement and I can see the dot and reticle much clearer with my astigmatism than I could with the Eotech. The dot is also clearer to my eyes than any Aimpoint or Vortex I've used and I don't care for the Trijicon MRO. It appears to be a sturdy optic with positive reviews and results from torture tests but none the less I'm using it with backup iron sights just in case it craps the bed.

Beware the man who has one gun because he probably knows how to use it.

Posts: 368 | Location: Somplace with cold drinks and warm women | Registered: May 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by beltfed21:
Ordered a Nightforce ATACR 5-25x56mm F1 - MOAR

Nice scope

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
At what point did I say they were prizes? Are you even familiar with the show I mentioned? Do you think I don't know 80% of the guys who finished in the top 100 in PRS? Do you not think I've ever picked anything up off a prize table? Big Grin

The show was all about product placement. So they used the scopes all season long.

When the show ended, my friends decided they'd rather go back to their old optics.

Further, we aren't talking about "top level shooters" here. I mean, they are better than average, but they aren't that super. In fact, the two people I personally know, they don't have any sponsors at all. The show is all about creating conflict, etc. So their rifles frequently malfunction, they miss targets and throw stuff, they have a few people who have never even shot before, etc etc. You get the idea.

Roll Eyes

Lastly, the number of sponsors you mention? Maybe in whatever shooting discipline you're into (guessing pistol, maybe 3-gun), but long range rifle is NOT like that, believe you me.

I don't watch any gun TV programs, for precisely the reasons stated.

But there is also more in play than that too. For me even if there are no sponsors at play, to get me to switch gear it has to be dramatically better than what I am running, because I will have to buy at least two, accessories, et al.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
From what I can glean, SIG opened up a scope facility in Oregon and attracted some Leupold types to work for them. Their RDS seem to be made for them by Holosun (or whoever makes them for Holosun in China) and the scopes seem to be made by Japanese manufacturers.

Lots of companies do this, have optics made overseas in Japan, etc. The Trijicon Accupower and Nightforce SHV lineup are two examples made in Japan for them. But both of those providers also make their premium lines in house and started off that way.

My biggest issue with SIG Scopes is (1) little to no optics history, (2) as a company, very prone to dropping lines / shifting gears in a heartbeat - the SIG 556 rifle for example - gone. Then there is (3) the "SIGTAC" history of knockoff junk passed off as quality stuff.

When they have been selling optics for 10 years, with a history of solid QC and QS, then I'll think about dropping solid coin on a SIG Scope.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
My takeaway: even if it's the same exact glass (and he didn't say that, just that it came from the same company) that Nightforce uses, why not just buy a Nightforce for the same price?

I am glad to see Sig doing well and branching out but some of their new market offerings are priced much higher than it ought to be, particularly when there's no history of reliability, durability and performance.

Exactly.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
as a company, very prone to dropping lines / shifting gears in a heartbeat

It’s unfortunate, but I’m guessing that that would be a significant speed bump for anyone who is familiar with SIG’s history. Opening their own manufacturing/assembly facility in this country might be a demonstration of their commitment to sticking around in the scope sight business for the long haul, but I wouldn’t bet the rent on it.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PPGMD:
quote:

Roll Eyes

I don't watch any gun TV programs, for precisely the reasons stated.

But there is also more in play than that too. For me even if there are no sponsors at play, to get me to switch gear it has to be dramatically better than what I am running, because I will have to buy at least two, accessories, et al.

That was my exact point - they were provided the scopes for free, and "forced" to use them for a season. As such, it was more than "I took it out of the box and looked through it", they had a solid evaluation of the product. After the season was done, they opted to sell them and go back to what they had. And I wouldn't watch this nonsense either if I didn't have friends shooting in it. Wink

posted Hide Post
The whiskey models are available now at competitive street prices, took a chance on the same one that MikeV has above for my 716 and am so far very happy with it. I think the glass is great for the ~$500 range I got in at, if not above. At MSRP I get it, no deal, but at street prices, not shabby.

I also have two romeos that are chugging along fine. I knew going in they were basically holosuns and I have no issue with that. Much as I'd like to have a MRO, ACOG, or Aimpoint (of which I have some of all of) on every rifle certain ones like my MPX or AR pistols just need a dot that works.

Overall I think this new lineup is fine and if they keep up with generational refinements they will do well. More affordable circle dot/chevron/horseshoe reticles on the dots and better bdc/moa reticles on the scopes and they be where they need to be to start moving real product.

Posts: 221 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post