SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Sig Rifle Scopes?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig Rifle Scopes? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I know for my job I have been sent a Romeo 5 , Romeo 7 and a Tango 4. I will have a full update very soon for you.

Posts: 12 | Location: Wasilla Alaska  | Registered: December 30, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I was told SIG scopes are being made by Vortex. No proof, but the guy who told me that is usually pretty knowledgeable.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
I was told SIG scopes are being made by Vortex. No proof, but the guy who told me that is usually pretty knowledgeable.

I highly doubt that.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Japanese made scopes may both be coming from LOW (Light Optical Works). My Razor was built in Japan and it is superb. They are currently in use by CAG.

It is entirely possible that SIG is sourcing optics from LOW, built to their own specifications. But to say that Vortex is making them for Sig is almost certainly false.

Vortex does have their new made in America AMG lineup. Again, they wouldn't be using that to outsource optics for someone else....

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:

I highly doubt that.

Me as well. I'm friends with the product development manager at Vortex, I'll ask him.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Well, thing is I doubt Vortex "makes" any scopes either (until maybe very recently?) - they spec the large majority out to Japan, the PI, and China factories for manufacturing.

SIG could easily be using the same OEM manufacturers, but they just make it to the SIG spec.

With that being said, I have far more faith in Vortex than SIG - they have been in the optics business for a good bit at this point and it's pretty much all they do (optics, mounts, etc). They have a proven track record, great C/S with proven warranty service, and are responsive to the needs of shooters with a vast array of optic choices by type, price, and category (hunting, competition, tactical, etc).

SIG is the new kid on the block. Long time to go before they prove their optics equal to the likes of Vortex, Nightforce, Trijicon - even Weaver and Burris, along with other optics companies with decades of past performance.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Well, thing is I doubt Vortex "makes" any scopes either (until maybe very recently?) - they spec the large majority out to Japan, the PI, and China factories for manufacturing.

SIG could easily be using the same OEM manufacturers, but they just make it to the SIG spec.

With that being said, I have far more faith in Vortex than SIG - they have been in the optics business for a good bit at this point and it's pretty much all they do (optics, mounts, etc). They have a proven track record, great C/S with proven warranty service, and are responsive to the needs of shooters with a vast array of optic choices by type, price, and category (hunting, competition, tactical, etc).

SIG is the new kid on the block. Long time to go before they prove their optics equal to the likes of Vortex, Nightforce, Trijicon - even Weaver and Burris, along with other optics companies with decades of past performance.

Yes and no. As you noted, Vortex offers a vast array of optic choices by type, price, and category.

Naturally, in order to compete at some price points, some portion of that product line will, out of necessity, be made overseas.

The Razor HD line uses glass made in Japan, but the scopes are, in fact, assembled in the US - right here in good ole Wisconsin.

The AMG line is completely made in the US - glass and all.

No idea where Sig is having their stuff made/assembled, but I'm reasonably certain that it has nothing to do with Vortex.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the clarification - until very recently it seems that the bulk of Vortex stuff was made in the PI and Japan, (lower to mid end stuff), with some in China (Strike Eagle). Glad they are making the high end stuff locally here as well.

And as I mentioned, it's not necessarily a hit to have stuff produced overseas - Japan can make some great optics and I'm happy with my Japanese made Weavers and Trijicon.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post