SIGforum
Vortex Viper for EOTech replacement on a PDW/AR?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/3690089844

October 30, 2018, 05:55 PM
46and2
Vortex Viper for EOTech replacement on a PDW/AR?
I was a loyal EOTech customer for years, but after getting rid of all of them I'm finally getting around to seeking an adequate replacement. But after all that time with the EOTech's wide glass and thin bezel and low-profile nature I'd rather not go back to traditional cylindrical designs and standard eye relief, which led me to the Vortex Viper...

This will ultimately be for three ARs: one 11.5" 5.56, one 7.5" 5.56, and one 8.5" .300BO, from up close and personal to 100m out at most.

I've never owned one of their products before. What say you guys, are they worth it?
October 30, 2018, 07:59 PM
gibby29
Vortex is good to go. I have two sparcs. And they have an eotech replacement now.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/ca...zor_amg_uh-1_red_dot
October 31, 2018, 08:30 AM
tha1000
Check out the holosun 510c. Similar reticle to the -0 eotechs with the battery life of an aimpoint. Bigger window than the vortex and won't require a riser for lower 1/3 cowitness. At this point, i cannot say enough good things about the holosun.

I had a viper, admittedly mounted on a pistol, but it was pretty sub par. the dot flickered or cut out with recoil and the lock screws changed the point of impact. ymmv, but I'd pick the holosun 10 times out of 10 for a rifle application.

October 31, 2018, 09:47 AM
WARPIG602
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:
Check out the holosun 510c. Similar reticle to the -0 eotechs with the battery life of an aimpoint. Bigger window than the vortex and won't require a riser for lower 1/3 cowitness. At this point, i cannot say enough good things about the holosun.

I had a viper, admittedly mounted on a pistol, but it was pretty sub par. the dot flickered or cut out with recoil and the lock screws changed the point of impact. ymmv, but I'd pick the holosun 10 times out of 10 for a rifle application.

Agreed, still wish Trijicon or Aimpoint would do an Eotech reticle but until then....the holosun is thw inner.

October 31, 2018, 03:48 PM
xl_target
For an AR, I would choose a SPARC instead of a Viper. I've got a couple and they perform very well.

However, if you like the Viper's form factor, I would suggest getting a Venom instead. The Venom allows you to replace the battery with out dismounting the optic.
Changing the Viper's battery can only be done from the bottom, forcing you to take it off the firearm.

The Razor is supposed to be more robust than the Viper and Venom.

If you're used to the EOtech reticle and size, The Razor AMG UH-1 has the closest form factor and reticle.
October 31, 2018, 05:54 PM
hrcjon
in all honesty (and I'm one of those that returned numerous Eotech's like you) I'd rather go back to eotech than use a holosun or some of the other really unproven suggestions. The Eotech issues are well understood and the sight itself is very rugged and proven from a mechanical viewpoint. The others not so much.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”
October 31, 2018, 06:30 PM
smschulz
I bought one a few months ago when Sport Optics had a screamin' deal on one.
It was the Razor AMG UH1.
It is a little large and boxy compared to the Eotech but otherwise it performs well.
I actually bought on an impulse but not sorry I did.
YMMV
November 01, 2018, 01:09 PM
tha1000
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
in all honesty (and I'm one of those that returned numerous Eotech's like you) I'd rather go back to eotech than use a holosun or some of the other really unproven suggestions. The Eotech issues are well understood and the sight itself is very rugged and proven from a mechanical viewpoint. The others not so much.

There are a whole lot of high end 3-gun and PCC shooters running lots and lots of rounds through guns with the holosun 510c mounted. Granted it is not a two way range, but competition guns get pretty abused and the dot, by all accounts, holds up just fine.

November 01, 2018, 06:16 PM
buddy357
I kept my one eotech. And they seem to have satisfied USSOCOM because in September they got a 23 million dollar contract to replace the pulled from service defective eotech’s with....new replacement eotech’s with magnifiers.
November 01, 2018, 07:02 PM
RHINOWSO
Yeah I wanted to like the UH1 from Vortex but it's like having a lunch box on top of your rifle.

Glad I don't like the Eotech reticle enough to really need it like some. Aimpoints red-dot is fine for me.
November 01, 2018, 09:01 PM
46and2
quote:
Originally posted by buddy357:
I kept my one eotech. And they seem to have satisfied USSOCOM because in September they got a 23 million dollar contract to replace the pulled from service defective eotech’s with....new replacement eotech’s with magnifiers.

No kidding? Interesting.
November 02, 2018, 12:00 AM
hrcjon
quote:
and the dot, by all accounts, holds up just fine

OK maybe, but that's not been my experience running matches locally. Seen many of the holosun go down. as well as just about every sig pistol optic as well. I'm waiting till a major serious customer adopts it, runs it for awhile and likes it till I say its ready for prime time.

November 02, 2018, 12:01 AM
Abn556
I have replaced 2 Eotech sites with Vortex Strike fire optics 1-6x24 and 1-8x24. The illuminated reticle closed the deal.’
November 02, 2018, 12:23 AM
hrcjon
not even close to the same solution and the original request.

November 02, 2018, 08:03 PM
buddy357
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:

No kidding? Interesting.

http://soldiersystems.net/2018...-with-eotech-sights/
November 03, 2018, 04:42 PM
Wreckless
https://www.themakogroup.com/m...t-with-2-0-moa.html/

The Israeli Mepro Tru-Dot RDS Pro is what you want.

La Dolce Vita
November 03, 2018, 04:43 PM
Wreckless
Wait for the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale though

La Dolce Vita