SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Benelli Shotguns ... School me on their autoloaders?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Benelli Shotguns ... School me on their autoloaders? Login/Join 
Picture of T.Webb
posted
My buddy is looking for a Benelli shotgun for Turkey, occasional upland birds, and Clays.

They offer the Super Black Eagle, the Vincci, and the Ethos.

What are the differences, advantages, disadvantages of each?

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Expensive, more expensive and really really expensive? Big Grin

The advantage of the SBE is it fires up to 3.5" shells. A good thing for turkey and water fowl. I have a gen1 gun that I use for turkey. Rugged, standard design, should last a lifetime.

The Vincci is an odd looking gun with an odd design. A friend had one for a time and while I didn't care for how it looked (or the retail price) it pointed great for me and I shot and hit with it like I'd been shooting it for years. He sold it when strapped for cash, I wish he'd offered me a shot at it (because he got it below cost, I don't think I'd buy one for full boat).

I've seen the Ethos in person, never fired one, so no help there.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I don't like the position of the safety on the Vincci which completely rules it out for me. Between the SBE 3 and the Ethos, you'll have to decide if you need a 3.5" chamber.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
The new SBE 3 is the Ethos with the ability to shoot 3.5" shells. Same exact design as the Ethos, which has upset some of the SBE purist. If he doesn't have the need or desire to use 3.5" shells it isn't worth the premium. I can tell you they're unecessary for turkey hunting when using good TSS loads.

They've added a spring and detent inside the bolt carrier to keep the bolt in battery to avoid the "Benelli click." Benelli was notorious for coming out of battery if bumped in a duck blind and therefore the "click" instead of the "boom."

I purchased an SBE 3 in April for turkey hunting and occassional pheasant shoots we go to. It patterned about 8" high and 8" left at 25 yards with a wide range of ammunition. When looking at videos online and reading I discovered this was a very common problem. I spoke with Benelli's customer service and the issue is the stop ring on the magazine tube. It's not screwed down far enough and puts pressure on the barrel ring when reassembled. No amount of shimming will fix the shooting left or right issue. I've tried.

My buddy picked up a Beretta A 400 Extreme Plus and it's a softer shooter, shoots POA and was about $300 less expensive. Shooting them side by side, it's the better choice. It's also a gas operated gun, so if your buddy is going to shoot a lot of clays he may regret getting an inertia operated gun like the Benelli. My Benelli is on it's way back to have the stop ring readjusted. In hindsight I wish I would've purchased the Beretta.

If he's dead set on a Benelli I'd recommend the M2 if he has no need for 3.5" shells.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
I have similar accuracy issues with my SBE3. Hunter for years with a SBE2 and had no issues. Wish they hadn’t fixed what wasn’t broken.

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I have an M2 with the 3” chamber. I have no need for 3.5” ammo. When I need max performance, I shoot heavier than lead pellets.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
What about the Montefeltro?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
I have a Montefeltro in a 20g and absolutely love the shotgun. Put hundreds of rounds thru it with no problems,target loads,birdshot,turkey loads,I will not get rid of this till my last days..

Posts: 2303 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was obsessed with getting s Benelux this time last year, now I’m looking again because I have some chances to go down to cold bay and shoot emperor geese, black Brandt’s, king riders and all sorts of other stuff.

I’ve been looking at the SBE3....buy once, cry once I guess. All my buddies who go down there swear by their be Melli’s and 3.5” shells. Right now I have a wingmaster and a weatherby PA 08, neither of which will shoot 3.5” shells.

I have a lot of nice rifles and handguns but a nice shotgun is something I do not have yet.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Benelli shotgun tend to be lighter in weight, generally 7 pounds or less. This makes them great for carrying in the field, but not so much for recoil in high-volume shooting.

One gun for both field use and target shooting always involves some level of trade offs. It doesn't matter if one is considering a pistol, rifle, or shotgun.

IMO shotguns no longer need to be chambered for 3.5" shells, as 3" loads can be very effective. Shotguns chambered for 3.5" shells struggle to reliably cycle the soft 2-3/4" loads used for clays games.

A high-volume clays gun should weigh 8 pounds or more.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swage:
The new SBE 3 is the Ethos with the ability to shoot 3.5" shells. Same exact design as the Ethos, which has upset some of the SBE purist. If he doesn't have the need or desire to use 3.5" shells it isn't worth the premium. I can tell you they're unecessary for turkey hunting when using good TSS loads.

They've added a spring and detent inside the bolt carrier to keep the bolt in battery to avoid the "Benelli click." Benelli was notorious for coming out of battery if bumped in a duck blind and therefore the "click" instead of the "boom."

I purchased an SBE 3 in April for turkey hunting and occassional pheasant shoots we go to. It patterned about 8" high and 8" left at 25 yards with a wide range of ammunition. When looking at videos online and reading I discovered this was a very common problem. I spoke with Benelli's customer service and the issue is the stop ring on the magazine tube. It's not screwed down far enough and puts pressure on the barrel ring when reassembled. No amount of shimming will fix the shooting left or right issue. I've tried.

My buddy picked up a Beretta A 400 Extreme Plus and it's a softer shooter, shoots POA and was about $300 less expensive. Shooting them side by side, it's the better choice. It's also a gas operated gun, so if your buddy is going to shoot a lot of clays he may regret getting an inertia operated gun like the Benelli. My Benelli is on it's way back to have the stop ring readjusted. In hindsight I wish I would've purchased the Beretta.

If he's dead set on a Benelli I'd recommend the M2 if he has no need for 3.5" shells.

There are 3-gun gunsmiths who can fix your patterning issue with your Benelli. Benny Hill at Triangle Shooting Sports in Texas is one.

Steve Rose of Rose Action Sports in Kentucky is another.

It is an issue where the centerline of the magazine tube is not square to the centerline of the barrel.

Discussion of this topic is detailed here:

https://forums.brianenos.com/t...f-from-point-of-aim/

My M2 shoots straight to POA/POI and I love that shotgun.

FWIW, that issue is not confined just to Benelli shotguns. I know the Remington Versamax exhibits some of the same issues.

Direct quote from Kurt Miller who identified the issue:

quote:
The barrel loosely slides into the receiver. The only place it is firmly attached to the receiver is around 13" forward of the receiver and about 1.33" below the centerline of the bore where the barrel ring sits around the MAG TUBE and is screwed together with the end cap. In this configuration the barrel will always point and impact where the magazine tube is pointing. Unlike a rifle barrel which is screwed firmly to the.receiver and is centered on the center of the receiver, which is no where near where we are with shotgun barrel on a Benelli M1/M2/

Edit:

Upon further reading the Super Black Eagle design is different enough from the M2, it may not be as simple as aligning your magazine tube. It would be worth a call to Steve Rose at RAS to ask though.

2nd Edit:
Looks like maybe the stock has something to do with it.
https://www.chuckhawks.com/column115_SBE3.html

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T.Webb:
My buddy is looking for a Benelli shotgun for Turkey, occasional upland birds, and Clays.

They offer the Super Black Eagle, the Vincci, and the Ethos.

What are the differences, advantages, disadvantages of each?

Unless he is a dedicated waterfowl hunter who needs or wants the 3.5" shells, I would point him towards the M2 Field. Perfect for upland game birds and clays, would be great for Turkeys with a 3" turkey magnum as well.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
What about the Montefeltro?

From what I understand it is just a 'pretty' M2.

I would get the M2 field for the comfortech stock. It works!

Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
The stock theory is just that, a theory by Randy Wakeman and slow motion cameras prove that it's unsubstantiated. Rob Roberts does the work for all Benelli Custom Shop shotguns and I spoke with them. It is in fact the stop ring. He suggested sending it back to Benelli as they have had good results in getting it fixed and it's covered under warranty. Another issue with the SBE 3 is the bolt release is now held in place by a pin with a C clip. My buddy has a brand new one as well and when he was pattern testing 3.5" shells the C clip came loose and locked up the shotgun. The past models used a roll pin. Overall the SBE 3 has been a big disappointment. I wouldn't suggest anyone get one based on price vs value.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
quote:
From what I understand it is just a 'pretty' M2.

The "Monte" for me Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Interesting that the SBE3 has the exact opposite problem the SBE1 had.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
For the most part the 3.5” chamber is suited to those who plan to shoot steel loads waterfowl hunting. The longer shell is tailored to those loads, lighter shot.

Without higher round shooting, one can use the more expensive(and more effective), 3” loads that have heavier than lead pellets.

If I planned almost exclusively waterfowl hunting, I may very well get the 3.5” chamber. For the more ‘all around shotgun’, the 3” is fine.

Once the chamber is decided, we can move on to barrel length. That again depends on intended use.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an Ethos and it’s a great gun. No reliability issues whatsoever.

Posts: 173 | Location: boston | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I have a SBE 1 NIB. You can still find them out there and many prefer them to the newer models. An SBE 1 may be an option or you may want to consider an A5.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry for late entry. I’m a Benelli fan. Use an SBE2 with aimpoint micro for turkey. Prior to TSS, I shot heavishot 5 3.5s and it was a solid 50 yard gun. With TSS, it’s a 60-70 yard gun though I don’t take shots that far. Wife/daughter dove shoot with a 20ga Montefeltro, I bird hunt with a Vinci Córdoba, guest gun is a Vinci turkey edition that I got on sale at gun show. All are reliable, easy to clean, eat anything.

Next is a 20 ga M2 that I’m optimizing for turkey with TSS. Getting a bit tired of lugging big gun and absorbing heavy recoil. Age catching up. I’ll report in when it’s done.

Posts: 477 | Location: FL | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post