SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    A question about 80% lowers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A question about 80% lowers Login/Join 
Picture of armme
posted
I'm thinking about picking up a couple of 80% lowers for a build. I ran across a site that claimed that the BATFE decided that you can machine these things with your own tools, no problem, but your buddy can't loan you his, or let you use his shop.

The info was from 2015, and I couldn't find anything corroborating it.

Is this fact or myth?

Posts: 257 | Location: NC | Registered: August 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's my understanding that you can no longer hand your 80% receiver + $XX.00 to a CNC (or manual) mill owner/operator and have them hand you the finished receiver. If it's a CNC mill I believe you are prohibited from paying to clamp the 80% receiver in a fixture and push the start button yourself.

I am unaware of any restriction on using/borrowing another's machine (or tools/tooling) to complete an 80% receiver; so long as no money changes hands. That is, so long as you are not paying for the use of the equipment or anyone's assistance. You have to complete (manufacture) the receiver! So far as I know, you do not have to even own a file (much less a machine tool) to legally complete an 80% receiver

I have seen 80% AR receivers finished on a decent quality drill press. It's not the best machine for the task -- but it can be done, if you are careful. I don't recommend it. A "bench top" mill would be much better. I own a Lagun (Spanish Bridgeport w/DRO).

Why don't you write the BATF and ask for clarification. They will tell you what you can and can't legally do.

It's really handy to have a friend/acquaintance with access to machine tools! You'd be surprised to know how many guys have a machine (or three) in their garage or hobby shop.

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It has been my understanding that as long as YOU do the work the source of your tools is irrelevant.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is the purpose of an 80% lower? I just picked up a couple of stripped Anderson lowers for $40 out the door, sales tax included.

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
80% lowers are for chumps.

The government can't actually keep track of firearms, and the idea of a national database doesn't account for the cost.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of armme
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all.

Just in the initial research phase, undecided as to whether I'm going this route or not.

Really just looking to do it for the sake of it, not for any financial reasons.

Posts: 257 | Location: NC | Registered: August 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
OP, you do realize you will need specific jig for the work to be done...that adds to the cost. And you have to figure out how to anodize it when you are done...

It’s not worth all the hassle when you can get a receiver for $45.00

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of armme
posted Hide Post
Yes, I've read far enough into it to figure out that it will be something of an investment if I go through with it.

I've about talked myself out of it at this point, may be something for later on for the entertainment of it.

posted Hide Post
quote:
you do realize you will need specific jig for the work to be done

No you don't as an absolute. I did mine without a jig. but on a mill. depends on your skill and tools.
"And you have to figure out how to anodize it when you are done..."
Again, the degree that this is an issue depends on your goals. You can buy 80% lowers that are already anodized. You can anodize it yourself (its an easy DIY project). You can send it out to a vendor who anodizes as a business many accept small orders. You can coat it with something else. You can just let it be without any downside other than color.
My point on the above is that these are not major issues if you want to build one.

I'm editing this to add that it was an enjoyable project for me. Took more time than I initially thought, but I really went into the measure 20 times then cut mode. Repeating it would be way less time, but as others have said its fun to do, but if I need another lower I'll just head to my LGS...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been very pleased with 80percentarms's Easy Jig Gen 2. Can do AR15, AR9 and .308

Fun learning this stuff so far.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hvyhawler:
What is the purpose of an 80% lower? I just picked up a couple of stripped Anderson lowers for $40 out the door, sales tax included.

It’s mostly for people who don’t want any paperwork record associated with having a gun. It’s not generally to save a few bucks.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pillboxesghost:
Why don't you write the BATF and ask for clarification. They will tell you what you can and can't legally do.
Yeah, not. It'll take about 18 months to get a response.

I have no issues with people doing 80% receivers for pretty much any firearm (AR, Glock, etc). The AR is a little more involved but if you have the tools and talent, go for it.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
There are several 80% lowers with logos that you can't get any other way.

My cousin is a retired lawyer, last year he was telling me about how he and some of his lawyer buddies did a group AR lower build ... said it was his first one. It was functional but ugly and he wanted to do another, so for a unique Birthday gift I got him an 80% lower with with the Marines logo on the mag well. He did 12 years and they paid for his law degree ...

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder:
80% lowers are for chumps.

You ever thought that some people just like to make stuff themselves?

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armme:
I'm thinking about picking up a couple of 80% lowers for a build. I ran across a site that claimed that the BATFE decided that you can machine these things with your own tools, no problem, but your buddy can't loan you his, or let you use his shop.

The info was from 2015,
and I couldn't find anything corroborating it.

Is this fact or myth?

about that time frame I attended a seminar (ATF and VSP) and had a conversation with my local ATF guys re being an 01/SOT vs 07/SOT,

the big question was if I was selling and building AR's

at the time the ATF said as an 01 I could put together a few AR's for customers, or to sell, but they would not commit to how many a few were,

basically the idea given was one or 2 may pass, more and I would need a 07 license,

the tools question came up as well, and basically I was told if I stood and watched, directed, or coached someone on what to do, how to do it, that would be fine,
but if I supplied anything other than a small workspace (IE, a table) then I needed to be a 07,

I would bet the info you read was related to similar conversations with other dealers

for clarity, 01 is a standard FFL (like most gunshops)
07 is a Manufacturer

SOT, is for NFA sales

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post