SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    My Nodak A2 lower is ready to ship
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Nodak A2 lower is ready to ship Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
A ten month wait. I'm not complaining. Harlan's a no-nonsense guy. The A2 orders take longer because the bulk of his orders are for A1 lowers. If you're familiar with Nodak, you know why this is so.

I bought this lower to color match a mid-1990s Colt upper. Even if it's not a perfect match, it will match better than a black lower.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107459 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd love to see pics of the finished product!

Posts: 827 | Location: CA | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
I did the same thing several years back, ordered the A2 lower in XM Grey for my Retro M16A2 build.

Posts: 10831 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice! Harlan is great, I got a 2 position receiver extension from him for a CAR-15 build. Great communication and fast shipping.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I have been eyeballing their A2 lowers for a while, but I have enough AR's right now. I did use their A1 lowers (and uppers) for two retro style builds and they are top notch. Great machine work and finish, and boy do they fit snug to the upper! No wiggle at all. I used RRA parts kits and all of the pins went in effortlessly. You'll be pleased.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ordered a "slabside" lower for an early build I am doing. Ordered in October got it last month. Worth the wait. Nice people and the thing is a work of art.

Posts: 4043 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The cellphone pic doesn't do the finish justice. Looks really good, a nice medium to dark gray. I haven't yet pulled out the upper to see how close is the match, but I think it's going to look great.

The smudges are gun oil.

posted Hide Post
Looks good.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You're looking at the receiver of the last AR I'm ever going to build. I ordered this when the possibility existed that Hillary Clinton would be in the White House. Had I known Trump was going to win, I wouldn't have bothered with this.

posted Hide Post
Can't blame you. I like ARs but, don't need a lot. I have my retro, a SBR Adams for my suppressor, and one issued by my department. That's it. Don't need or want anymore.

Now, if we are talking M1 Garands.... that's a different story.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Just a couple of observations as I pull out the upper to check for a match and try the fit of various small parts in this lower-

The color match is precise and I anticipated this. It's very close, though. The main difference is the surface texture between the Colt upper and the Nodak lower. The Colt upper has a fine surface texture, and the Nodak lower is more of a matte texture. It's a minor thing, especially considering that this rifle was intended to use up the last of my AR parts to assemble a complete rifle in case of a Clinton victory.

Surface color and texture being put aside as the minor issues they are, I want to say that this receiver seems to be perfectly machined. I realize that's not possible but it certainly seems that way. In mating the upper and lower, I can detect no gap at all along the entire mated surfaces, not even by shining a bright flashlight through it.

There's no forge mark on the lower so I don't know the foundry it came from, but I assume all the machining is done in house at Nodak. Kudos to whoever did the work.

Final verdict will have to wait until I assemble the rifle but it's shaping up nicely.