SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Sig SHR 970 in 30-06, thoughts?
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Sig SHR 970 in 30-06, thoughts? Login/Join 
Picture of chez323
posted
I've got a friend who's offering one up to me, gonna meet up with him to check it out. The thought of a Sig hunting rifle appeals to me, well actually just about anything made by Sig does. Anybody have any experience with one? If so, what are your thoughts? Said it's hardly been fired, just sighted in and put in the safe. Comes with the Sig hard case and he's asking $450..... appreciate any/all thoughts and comments.

Tim McChesney
USAF Retired
P220
P226
P228
P229
SHR 970 (30-06)

Posts: 298 | Location: biggest little town on the map, PA | Registered: September 09, 2010Report This Post
I've got mental
blue balls now
Picture of tlbailey1
posted Hide Post
BUY IT NOW!!

Hard as shit to find in that caliber, .308 is even harder. I own 2 of them, one in .270 WIN, the other in 7mm Rem Mag, and I have a spare 30-06 barrel.

If you haven't done research on them yet, you're in for a treat. They have interchangeable barrels. Basically short/long action. My SHR's are dead nuts accurate, barrel swaps are easy and you can still find magazines on gunbroker. If it still has the original case, tools, manual, that's a dandy price.

Edited to add crappy pic and comment, the trigger is fantastic, the bolt is so smooth, target crown, cleanup is a snap and the safety is super quiet if you are going to hunt with it. I prefer the synthetic stock over the wood.

Posts: 5832 | Location: Idaho | Registered: November 20, 2007Report This Post
Resident Gen-X Slacker
Picture of apprentice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tlbailey1:
BUY IT NOW!!

Hard as shit to find in that caliber, .308 is even harder. I own 2 of them, one in .270 WIN, the other in 7mm Rem Mag, and I have a spare 30-06 barrel.

If you haven't done research on them yet, you're in for a treat. They have interchangeable barrels. Basically short/long action. My SHR's are dead nuts accurate, barrel swaps are easy and you can still find magazines on gunbroker. If it still has the original case, tools, manual, that's a dandy price.

Concur with all the above.
If you don't buy it soon, rest assured someone else will and be damn glad they found it.

------------------------------
"...and we liked it!"

Posts: 5333 | Location: North Idaho | Registered: May 12, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
The SHR970's I've shot were VERY accurate. Easy to swap barrels if you by some luck found another barrel with the same boldface. Not a bad takedown rifle.

Stocks are a bit clunky and cheesy as are the mags.

All said I don't think you'll find many other very accurate interchangeable barrel rifles for $450. They sold for FAR more in Europe when I was there several years back.

I still have one in 300wm. Fwiw the rings are A-Bolt spacing if you want to change them out.........dj

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

posted Hide Post

From an old Frankonia Jagd catalog. Remember euro is $1.35 or so! ............ Dj

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Picture of chez323
posted Hide Post
Meeting him tomorrow, I was kinda leaning towards getting it as I've been looking for a deer rifle in 30-06.

Tim McChesney
USAF Retired
P220
P226
P228
P229
SHR 970 (30-06)

Posts: 298 | Location: biggest little town on the map, PA | Registered: September 09, 2010Report This Post
I've got mental
blue balls now
Picture of tlbailey1
posted Hide Post
For the price, I don't think you are going to find a better hunting rifle, period. If I weren't closing on my house soon, I'd be tempted to try and swipe it if you decided against it.

If you're curious, look at gunbroker or gunsinternational, search "SHR" or just "970".

Most of my stuff is in the storage unit, but I can dig out the manual and will scan & email it for you if yours doesn't come with one. Wink

Congrats on your new rifle!!

Picture of chez323
posted Hide Post
met up with him today and checked out the rifle and case. Very nice, very very nice. I'm meeting up with him Tuesday after work to buy it. Will post pics of it once I get home from class that night. Thanks for the info one and all. will be using it for whitetail deer this year..... just need to find a nice scope to put on it.

Tim McChesney
USAF Retired
P220
P226
P228
P229
SHR 970 (30-06)

I've got mental
blue balls now
Picture of tlbailey1
posted Hide Post
Woot woot! You didn't mention, but was the manual included? I'll grab mine and scan it or photocopy, let me know which.

I put Redfield Revolution 3-9x40's on mine with the accurange reticle. Not the most expensive piece of glass, but very nice for the money, and made by Leupold.

~ Tom

Picture of chez323
posted Hide Post
manual is not included... would apprciate a scan of yours. Thanks

I've used my dad's model 70 with a nice 3x9 Leopold, so I'm leaning that route. Have to look around and do some research. Deer season in PA starts the Monday after Thanksgiving.

quote:
Woot woot! You didn't mention, but was the manual included? I'll grab mine and scan it or photocopy, let me know which.

I put Redfield Revolution 3-9x40's on mine with the accurange reticle. Not the most expensive piece of glass, but very nice for the money, and made by Leupold.

~ Tom

Tim McChesney
USAF Retired
P220
P226
P228
P229
SHR 970 (30-06)

I've got mental
blue balls now
Picture of tlbailey1
posted Hide Post
Emails sent, let me know if you have any problems getting it. (Had to scan it and email in separate .pdf pages.)

Tom

Picture of chez323
posted Hide Post
emails received, thanks!

quote:
Emails sent, let me know if you have any problems getting it. (Had to scan it and email in separate .pdf pages.)

Tom

Tim McChesney
USAF Retired
P220
P226
P228
P229
SHR 970 (30-06)

posted Hide Post
Well done my friend!

I have been looking for a new bolt rifle for hunting in PA and to compliment my Benelli R1 in 30-06. That rifle fits the bill and is a little different from the rest of the hunting rifles floating about.

Posts: 821 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: April 08, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the GREAT DECISION.
I have two full SHR-970 rifles right now, and a my extra .300 win mag barrel, bolt and mags.
the .30-'06 drives sub-moa with Core-Lokts at 100yds, even after 500+ rds.
I am going to sell the .270 win in synthetic as soon as I get pics, have my eye on a .45LC Super Redhawk for a chest rig.
It's very hard to find the black case, you got a triple on that rifle.
There's a regular poster in GB who sells spare mags at a fair price. I'd get 2 extra just to have a back-up to the back-up, good to have one for Coyote shootin' instead of having to use your deer loads.
I put a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x50 on mine. It is HARD on deer at dusk!
And it's easy to add a Blackhawk Cheek rest if you want the feel of MonteCarlo stock.
Where's those pics?

Posts: 157 | Location: Saint Matthews, KY | Registered: February 25, 2007Report This Post
I've got mental
blue balls now
Picture of tlbailey1
posted Hide Post
Might as well add this in here, but if anyone who has a SHR rifle, that didn't come with the manual, I've scanned mine into .pdf files and will email it to any member here who wants one. My email is in my profile.

Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wetdawg:
Congrats on the GREAT DECISION.
I have two full SHR-970 rifles right now, and a my extra .300 win mag barrel, bolt and mags.
the .30-'06 drives sub-moa with Core-Lokts at 100yds, even after 500+ rds.
I am going to sell the .270 win in synthetic as soon as I get pics, have my eye on a .45LC Super Redhawk for a chest rig.
It's very hard to find the black case, you got a triple on that rifle.
There's a regular poster in GB who sells spare mags at a fair price. I'd get 2 extra just to have a back-up to the back-up, good to have one for Coyote shootin' instead of having to use your deer loads.
I put a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x50 on mine. It is HARD on deer at dusk!
And it's easy to add a Blackhawk Cheek rest if you want the feel of MonteCarlo stock.
Where's those pics?

You have an e-mail

Posts: 12906 | Registered: September 06, 2003Report This Post
Picture of chez323
posted Hide Post
Pics will be posted Tuesday night, meeting the guy after work then off to class. I'll make it a family photo and take one of my Sigs and my Hammerli single action as the case says Sig and Hammerli on it. Smile

Tim McChesney
USAF Retired
P220
P226
P228
P229
SHR 970 (30-06)

Seeker of SIG Truth
Picture of C Swimm
posted Hide Post
I had one in 30.06. I paid almost double what your friend was asking and mine had several dings in the finish and no factory hard case.

I sold it to fund another project a while ago. I might still have the manual around the gun room. I'll look and send it to you if I can find it.

Here is a pic of mine when I got it.

SIG SHR970 by c.swimm, on Flickr

-Chris

... if the people come to believe that the government is no longer constrained by the laws then they will conclude that neither are they. -Michael Cannon, CATO Institute.

Posts: 9729 | Location: FT Campbell, KY | Registered: June 28, 2001Report This Post
Picture of sideways85
posted Hide Post
Here is a link Online manual

Posts: 470 | Location: Navarro Mills, TX | Registered: March 04, 2011Report This Post
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Excuse the thread hijack here but this rifle has me quite intrigued.
My limited reading shows while the rifle and many parts except for a few are no longer available in the states it is still made and available overseas.

Would it be possible for someone stationed overseas to purchase barrels and send the via USPS back to the states??

Also why do not more manufacturers have a setup with simple barrel swaps like this? Thompson Centerfire are the only ones I know of. Just so they can sell more full guns vs. just extra barrels.

Posts: 12906 | Registered: September 06, 2003Report This Post