SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Leupold Scout Scope choices and recommendations requested
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold Scout Scope choices and recommendations requested Login/Join 
Angry Korean
with a Dark Soul
Picture of Windhover
posted
So, I did scratch that itch and bought a Steyr Scout rifle. It's currently in California gun jail.

I looked into various scope choices and decided I am going with Leupold. But here's the dilemma. The choices.

1. The original FX-II 2.5 power fixed scope. Obviously this one was the scope originally paired with the Scout rifle. Upside as I understand it is it's durability and simplicity. Downside is lack of versatility.

2. VX-R 1.5-5 Illuminated firedot. I read some great reviews on them. Downside is the expense at more than twice the price of the FXII. The big questions here is, is it worth the money?

3. VX-2 1.5-4 variable. This would have been my choice, but alas discontinued and all the major retailers are out. I am holding out hope for ebay.

I would like to get some feedback from members here who have first-hand experiences with these scope, pro and con, and recommendations. Also recommendations on rings and mounts.

Thank you.

Oh, and I've considered other brands, and am not at all interested in them.

Thanks again.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Ive had all 3. I still own the VXR.

I started out with the fixed 2, great scope, like you said, just lacked the versatility.

I got the VX2 and the VXr at the same time to comapre head to head. The short version is, if you dont care for the firedot, get the VX2. Its lighter, handier and jsut as good as the VXR without being a tank.....but no firedot which is a feature ive really come to love for hunting applications. The VXR is pretty big comapred to the other 2.

I went with QD rings on mone simply because I use mine on a 45-70 guide gun. I dont plan on taking it off in the field but its possible in the rare instance I need to.

The VX2 has been replaced by the VX-Freedom Scout.
I think its hideous but im betting the glass quality is in between VX1-VX2. Id personally hold out forhte VX2 or get the VXR. Shoot me an email when you're ready to buy something and I can help you out.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I have the FXII, mounted on Leupold QR rings, on my 336ss. It's phenomenally clear and bright, easy to shoot with both eyes open.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I realize that a forward mounted scope is an itch that you just might have to scratch regardless but I think there are far superior scope options than to any available scout scope.

When Cooper came up with the Scout Scope idea we didn't have the current crop of SUPERB low powered variable scopes that we have now. They are optically FAR superior to any Scout Scope available. The only real advantages to a forward mounted scope vs a low powered variable is that with a forward scope you can charge a rifle with stripper clips - which you can't do anyway with a Steyr Scout. They do prevent magnum eyebrow which is an advantage on any rifle. IMO this small advantages don't make up for loosing 50% of your FOV, poorer quality glass etc.

I do love the small handy rifle concept. I had one of the original Clifton Scouts with the forend tip bipod, I have 3 Steyr Scouts, A Ruger Scout and a M1a Scout. NONE of them still have a forward mounted scope! They just aren't anywhere near as good as a 1-6x or similar variable. There are lots of good ones starting 500ish to $3500+.

I strongly suggest before you buy a forward mounted optic, compare side by side the FOV and other important scope stats. If possible look through both in a store and compare the resolution you get with a scope a foot from your eye vs a std low powered scope of the same magnification.

I get that you might just "have" to try the forward mounted scope, I just kinda wish I'd of saved myself the expense of the ones I bought and have since replaced with far better solutions. And yes you can still shoot with both eyes open with a low-powered variable as well or better than you can with a forward mounted scope, better being that you will be looking through better glass with 1/2 again to twice the Field of View. Just if possible take a good strong look through both before plopping down the cash for either.........

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
John has a
long moustashe
Picture of john1
posted Hide Post
Only have experience with the Leupold 2.5. Took a trotting elk at 250 yards last November.

Posts: 593 | Location: Rural NW Oklahoma | Registered: June 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
I talked to a guy at a LGS once who mounted a cheap pistol scope on his rifle just to see if he liked a forward mounted setup. Might save you some $ if you havent tried one before. Dont recall what he used, eye relief, etc.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Between a 1-4, and a fixed 2.5, there isn't a whole lot of difference, really. I have both, in IER and regular eye relief.

It depends on what you're actually trying to do with the rifle. If "versatility" means "everything," well, that's not going to happen.

The IER scopes primary advantage is speed. You can go long distance with it, but you need to think more in an irons mentality than a precision mentality. As in, take the shot, don't wait for the perfect shot.

It's interesting you say that the VX-II 1.5-4 is discontinued, I ordered one from the custom shop less than a year ago.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t think IER scopes have any advantage in speed and have the disadvantage of a much smaller FOV. I think a 1-6 set at 1x with its red dot on and properly employed with both eyes open is actually FASTER to get on target than a 2.5x reticled scope 6 inches away is.

And on my Ruger Scout I made 3 consecutive shots on an 8” gong at 600yds using the holdover bars on my Vortex 1-6 scope. You could do it with 2.5 IER scope but it would be MUCH harder.....

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Angry Korean
with a Dark Soul
Picture of Windhover
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your helpful suggestions.

Arc, I checked 2 gunshops in my area plus every major online vendor and the VX-2 Scout Scope is discontinued and unavailable. Heck, out of desperation I even checked Cheaper Than Dirt. No joy.

djpaintless, I already have a Ruger Gunsite Scout and have experimented with IER and conventional scopes with low power variable. I prefer the "Scout" configuration. Thank you, though, for your thoughtful discussion.

If the VX-2 is not available for purchase, I think it is very likely I will go with the VX-R. It is long, heavy and quite pricey, but it might be the "best" option. Thank you WARPIG for your recommendations. I was hoping someone in this forum had first hand experiences with all 3. And I just looked up the VX-Freedom. Dear God it's hideous!

Posts: 1169 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I've been using the VXR on my "Go to" hunting rifle (a Remington Model 700 BDL in .35 Whelan) for a few years now and love it. The optics are clear and have proven fog-free, its illuminated red dot is especially effective in the early morning or late afternoon hours (when black cross hair reticles can become difficult to discern). I started out with a 3-9x 40mm and currently use a 4-12x 40 mm version with their Bullet Drop Compensator (BDC) turret. For about $800.00 (less if you look around a bit), you get a hell of a good piece of glass that won't let you down. I've taken mule deer, elk, moose, and quite a few wild pigs with my mine. I'm sure you'll be happy with this as a choice!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I would think a pistol LER scope would be the ticket.

Posts: 4623 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
There are better low powered scope options... but what I can't do with then is wrap my hand around the action to carry the rifle. Smile

I can shoot well enough out to and past 200 yards with the 2x scope to be just fine with it. The real down side to forward mounted scopes comes at dusk, the low light and reflection of the ocular lens.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post