SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    30.06 and 8mm
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

30.06 and 8mm Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted
8mm wins.

Perhaps you'll disagree, but for jollies I pulled some bullets, and in addition, some years ago I brought some steel for the boys to shoot, and you could hear the difference in Oompa.

The Garand, with its ability for semiautomatic fire, was superior.

Bullet on bullet.. 30.06 is for girls.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
8mm is a cool round for sure.

I’m pressing my 30-06 into service this week as I have moose tag and 2 caribou tags in my pocket. 200g trophy bonded bear claws are fucking money when everything in the state is on the list for the day. I also love the 180g partitions out of The 06.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Me & my Czech Mauser 98/22 agree.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Make sure you're comparing apples to apples...

Keep in mind that the WW2 military standard .30-06 load was a 150 grain round, while the WW2 military standard 8mm Mauser load was 197 grains. Those two weight ranges are still the most common for those rounds today, and are probably what are shown in your photo. So naturally, the 8mm bullet will be bigger/heavier.

However, if you roll back to WW1, the standard 8mm Mauser load was 153 grains, which is more comparable to what you were probably shooting in .30-06.

Today, .30-06 is available with bullets up to 220ish grains, and 8mm is available down to 150ish grains.

Next time you're comparing them, try shooting some of the lighter 8mm loads, and/or some of the heavier .30-06 loads.

A 220 grain .30-06 bullet will be bigger than 150 grain 8mm, and will have more "oompa" when shooting steel. Would that then mean that 8mm is for girls? Wink

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
A Garand built for 8x57mm would be an interesting thing to see in a parallel universe.

Just saying.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Just get a 8mm FN49, I love mine.

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Or a Hakim.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
keeping ball in mind, (30.06)

AP, which was relatively common in WWII, is ~165gr gr weight

and match stuff is 173gr

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Make sure you're comparing apples to apples...

Keep in mind that the WW2 military standard .30-06 load was a 150 grain round, while the WW2 military standard 8mm Mauser load was 197 grains. Those two weight ranges are still the most common for those rounds today, and are probably what are shown in your photo. So naturally, the 8mm bullet will be bigger/heavier.

However, if you roll back to WW1, the standard 8mm Mauser load was 153 grains, which is more comparable to what you were probably shooting in .30-06.

Today, .30-06 is available with bullets up to 220ish grains, and 8mm is available down to 150ish grains.

Next time you're comparing them, try shooting some of the lighter 8mm loads, and/or some of the heavier .30-06 loads.

A 220 grain .30-06 bullet will be bigger than 150 grain 8mm, and will have more "oompa" when shooting steel. Would that then mean that 8mm is for girls? Wink

I've got surplus rifles and surplus ammo... I'm talking about the bullets going back and forth in WWII. Of course you can find heavy bullets in 30.06. Are you putting those through a Garand? An '03?

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
I've got surplus rifles and surplus ammo...

Surplus ammo doesn't necessarily have to mean 197ish grain 8mm, although that can be the more commonly encountered weight, depending on the country of origin.

However, some this lighter surplus 8mm ammo is also fairly common, from countries who stuck with 150ish grain light ball as their standard load even after most everyone else switched to the heavier 8mm. This includes countries such as Romania and Turkey, whose surplus 150ish 8mm ammo is widespread (or at least was until the last several years).

quote:
Of course you can find heavy bullets in 30.06. Are you putting those through a Garand? An '03?

I have no qualms putting heavier .30-06 bullets through a M1903 or M1917.

I wouldn't do that in a stock Garand, due to the different gas pressure curve, but it's doable if you have an adjustable gas plug or ported gas plug.

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Oh, I know about the Shuster gas plug, I imagine there are other versions. It's simpler to stick to the surplus, or commercial ammo marked "30.06 Springfield."

I might just have to pick up a 49, it looks like fun. I've also thought about getting a modern bolt in 8mm Mauser. Just because I have a lot of it.

Arc.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh, I know about the Shuster gas plug, I imagine there are other versions. It's simpler to stick to the surplus, or commercial ammo marked "30.06 Springfield."

".30-06 Springfield" is simply the caliber nomenclature, and being marked as such is by no means an indication that it's "Garand Safe".

For example, here are a couple of 220 grain ".30-06 Springfield" loads, which would be well outside the proper pressure curve for a M1 Garand:

Instead, if you're looking for commercial ammo that's the correct pressure for your Garand, look for ammo that's specifically labeled as "for the M1 Garand". Like so:

quote:
I might just have to pick up a 49, it looks like fun.

FN-49s are a blast, and some of the best looking military rifles IMO. (One author describes them as "The Last Elegant Old-World Military Rifle".)

They represent the closing chapter of the old-school wood-and-steel traditional semiauto battle rifles of the WW2 era and the transition to the more modernized Cold War battle rifles like the FAL and G3.

Unfortunately, not a whole lot were made compared to most other types of battle rifles. And prices have really gotten up there lately, especially for the more in-demand calibers like .30-06.

If you'd like to know more about the FN-49, I highly recommend the Collector Grade Publications book "The FN-49: The Rifle That Ran Out of Time".

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
The "garand safe" bit is a good note. I'm just on autopilot for one type of ammo, when and if I buy commercial.

Arc.

Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
You simply need to get a McCann .458 win mag Garand and amplify your Oompa.

FN-49s are fun. I like the Ljungman AG-42 better. 6.5x55 in a 10 pound direct impingement semi-auto is very soft. It is what the Hakim is derived from...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Any unusual calibers in the Garand, don't really interest me. But the march of progress and wider appeal of the Garand or M14 hosting other calibers is all good.

6.5x55... Mm. I'd go K31 first, which is 7.5?

Arc.

Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
Dont know I your interested but there's always Mitchells Mausers. I bought one its fun to shoot.
Off hand I dont know what grain the bullets are but I bought S&B 8mm. Good enough for me. I am not a great, but I can hit a bowling pin at 50yds fairly consistently.
I am better with the Mauser than my Garand.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3862 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
if we are sticking to the garand,

get some M72 match or handeload the equivalent,

173 gr match round does good, handloads with 168's or 175's do as good or better,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well...since the '06 was over-kill for an infantryman anyway, I'll take the superior platform that won the war (OK, too far, our manufacturing did) over a bigger bullet fired from a bolt action.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
Well...since the '06 was over-kill for an infantryman anyway, I'll take the superior platform that won the war (OK, too far, our manufacturing did) over a bigger bullet fired from a bolt action.

Careful now, you'll trigger a debate on exactly whether 5.56 was a good choice to move to.

I loves me some Garand, but I think there is something to spending some time behind a K98.

Call me crazy but I prefer it over the '03, which I bought and sold.

Arc.

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I probably shoot more 5.56 than any other rifle cartridge including 22lr.

But man is it eye opening when I break out the Mauser and whack some of the rifle steel that I have been shooting with my AR.

It pings and swings with the 5.56.

The Mauser just flat out smacks the shit out of it and it swings WAYYY back and above level.

I sold off most of my milsup ammo to fund a 5.56 silencer but I kept a decent supply, as well as handloading supplies. My Mauser is here to stay. I don't shoot it much but it is one hell of a rifle.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post