SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Howa 6.5 Creedmoor
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Howa 6.5 Creedmoor Login/Join 
Picture of Quattro15
posted
I got this rifle in a trade. I don't know much about these guns. I do know it's kinda heavy. What is your take on these?

Should I try to make some cash and sell it in order to fund a lighter rifle for long range pursuits or is this rifle one of the good ones?

I don't do much distance shooting as of yet. I do have a daughter that loves run and guns, of which this Howa is a little heavy for. That's been my logic thus far.

https://www.legacysports.com/c...-flag-chassis-rifle/ 

---------------------------
“Reason, or the ratio of all we have already known, is not the same that it shall be when we know more.”
— William Blake

Posts: 2206 | Location: Black Mountain, NC | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I had a Weatherby Vanguard .270 Winchester back in the 90s, which was basically a Weatherby-branded Howa. Mine had a nice matte finish and came in a Ramline plastic stock. Other than the cheap stock, the rifle was very well made and reliable. I liked it a lot. Quality wise, they are fine.

"Long range pursuits." What kind of long range pursuits, and what ranges? Targets or hunting? A lighter rifle for long range work MAY be okay, but typically longer ranges GENERALLY mean heavier rifles. What sort of rifle did you buy? Post a pic if you can. Lots of precision rifle shooters on the board who can advise you on target shooting. Defending on that you got, it may already be a good rifle for longer range hunting.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quattro15
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
I had a Weatherby Vanguard .270 Winchester back in the 90s, which was basically a Weatherby-branded Howa. Mine had a nice matte finish and came in a Ramline plastic stock. Other than the cheap stock, the rifle was very well made and reliable. I liked it a lot. Quality wise, they are fine.

"Long range pursuits." What kind of long range pursuits, and what ranges? Targets or hunting? A lighter rifle for long range work MAY be okay, but typically longer ranges GENERALLY mean heavier rifles. What sort of rifle did you buy? Post a pic if you can. Lots of precision rifle shooters on the board who can advise you on target shooting. Defending on that you got, it may already be a good rifle for longer range hunting.

It's the same rifle that is in the link I believe. Also, I don't do anything long range. My local range has a 700 yard rifle range of which we do some long range competitions on. Not really much of a hunter. I don't feel I NEED to keep this gun but I don't have anything that'll reach out that far either.

“Reason, or the ratio of all we have already known, is not the same that it shall be when we know more.”
— William Blake

Posts: 2206 | Location: Black Mountain, NC | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Oh, I didn't even see or click on the link, sorry.

Well, I'm not much of a precision shooter but it looks like a great rifle for shooting out to 700 yards, and in a great caliber for it.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quattro15
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
Oh, I didn't even see or click on the link, sorry.

Well, I'm not much of a precision shooter but it looks like a great rifle for shooting out to 700 yards, and in a great caliber for it.

It's nice. I had a Roof Top Tent for sale and a guy traded me for it. It's got a nice Vortex Optics scope mounted as well. I'd just like to learn more about the gun and what I actually acquired.

— William Blake

Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
I have a Howa 1500 .308, that came in a KRG Bravo stock. It’s a very nice shooting rifle. Yes, it’s on the heavy side and I don’t run with it. I love the factory HACT trigger. They are quality rifles.

Whether it’s a good rifle for your daughter to use, only she can determine that. But it’s a good one for long distance shooting in general.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10489 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I recently became interested in Howa rifles and found that there are a number of favorable reviews on the Internet. I suggest looking at some.

I don’t have the experience with long range shooting that a few members here do, but a few comments.

Long range precision rifle shooting has become a very popular and therefore distinct shooting discipline. Like any other popular discipline, IDPA, trap/skeet, cowboy action, etc., having a gun and even a good optic is just the very first step in the process of becoming truly active in the sport. You’re fortunate, though, in having access to a 700 yard range; that would allow you to at least get an idea if you’d like to pursue long range shooting. It’s also good that the rifle is chambered for 6.5 Creedmoor. Depending upon whom we listen to, there may be better cartridges for long range shooting, especially really long range shooting, but it’s very popular in the sport, and (when it can be found) there are excellent factory loads available for the round.

Most long range precision rifle shooters probably don’t fret too much about the weight of a rifle within reasonable limits. They usually shoot from supported positions, and a reasonable amount of weight is desirable because it helps steady the rifle when shooting without a solid support, reduces felt recoil, and makes it easier to spot one’s own hits—all of which are desirable.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quattro15
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I recently became interested in Howa rifles and found that there are a number of favorable reviews on the Internet. I suggest looking at some.

I don’t have the experience with long range shooting that a few members here do, but a few comments.

Long range precision rifle shooting has become a very popular and therefore distinct shooting discipline. Like any other popular discipline, IDPA, trap/skeet, cowboy action, etc., having a gun and even a good optic is just the very first step in the process of becoming truly active in the sport. You’re fortunate, though, in having access to a 700 yard range; that would allow you to at least get an idea if you’d like to pursue long range shooting. It’s also good that the rifle is chambered for 6.5 Creedmoor. Depending upon whom we listen to, there may be better cartridges for long range shooting, especially really long range shooting, but it’s very popular in the sport, and (when it can be found) there are excellent factory loads available for the round.

Most long range precision rifle shooters probably don’t fret too much about the weight of a rifle within reasonable limits. They usually shoot from supported positions, and a reasonable amount of weight is desirable because it helps steady the rifle when shooting without a solid support, reduces felt recoil, and makes it easier to spot one’s own hits—all of which are desirable.

I do see that it's a good one reading and watching reviews online. I don't know if long range shooting is good for us or not at the moment. Here in the NC mountains there isn't much "long range" capability. But lucky my club has a pretty good reach for things like that. I will use this rifle and see how it goes for now I guess. I look forward to some of the long range gurus on here to chime in!

— William Blake

posted Hide Post
A friend has a Howa 1500 in .308 that I have shot from time to time. Its a quality gun and you can often get good deals on them. I shot a group of just over 1 MOA at 100 yards with it, using factory Remington hunting ammo. I think it could group under that with a better shooter and better ammo.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16061 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post