SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    FN PS90?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FN PS90? Login/Join 
posted
Not sure why but I kinda took a liking to one at the range.
Short supply, and pricey. Ammo looks available.

Anything about these that I should know more about?

Posts: 1660 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fun and a lot of rounds, but gun and ammo are pricy. If you decide to buy:

- convert included 30 round mag to 50 rounds
- buy extra mags
- buy extra ammo
- SBR it and get a suppressor

Don’t get caught up in all the Gen 1 trigger hype. Unless you intend to do something you shouldn’t, it won’t make any difference to how it fires, and even if you do change the trigger, it still won’t change how it fires.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had one years ago but sold it due to the cost of ammo.. It was a fun gun-compact and little recoil. I always thought the magazine design would be a problem in feeding but they just work. Gen 1 or 2 really doesn't make a difference. Some have built in optics,so to speak and the one I had did not illuminate and was a white colored reticle, which made it difficult to see against some backgrounds. The second gen had the black reticle but again the reticle/sight is not illuminated. There was a guy on the FN forum years ago who made an adapter that would go into the rear part of the sight and would illuminate the reticle and he had them in different colors. I had plans on getting one but at the time, I couldn't afford to feed it.

I still want to get one eventually but they have gotten pricey. I then decided to convert my 10/22 and bought a PS90 kit, to look like a real PS90. My son loves it now and it functions 100%,every time we took it out.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Fun little critters. SBR'd mine using a CMMG barrel. Its been 100% reliable. Try and find one with the original black ring factory optic if that interests you. I never had a real desire to suppress mine, really liked how compact it was.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3600 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’d avoid the factory ring sight all together. I had a original green one with the original white ring site that was horrible. The later “USSS” black ring sight was quite a bit better, but you’re best off getting a low profile picatinny top rail and using a compact RDS. I swapped out my white ring sight (which I don’t think they even offer any more) with the black very early on, but pretty soon afterwards went with a top rail and RDS. You want to get as low profile a rail as possible because the sight is already pretty high up sitting on top of the receiver tower.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
Fun gun to shoot, I got to try my friend's at the range. I had it on my to buy list but removed it because the ammo is pretty expensive.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I enjoy mine, but haven't shot it in a long time. Never had a single failure in the 10+ years I've had it.

The old factory sight leaves little to be desired, if you couldn't tell already from the other posts. It's actually a nice reticle when you can actually see it.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is the muzzle device threaded or a fixed section of barrel to make the 16?

Posts: 1660 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike56:

It's a pinned or welded shroud can't remember exactly how it was attached. I had to cut it off to remove the original barrel through the rear of the gun.

It's sort of a pain to SBR. After cutting the original you reinsert the new barrel and torque it against the flash hider or the muzzle attachment depending on which way you choose to go (it presses against the receiver with some additional spring tension so you will either need the P90 style flash hider like I have or a CMMG device that is threaded on the end for 1/x28). I had to order a special crows foot for my torque wrench that was thin enough to fit the wrench flats on the barrel. It was around 20 dollars for the crows foot, beat what others were doing and grinding down larger ones to thin them out.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3600 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike56:

It’s part of a shroud that’s pinned to the barrel. Aside from getting the barrel length over 16”, that one-piece shroud also gets the OAL over 26”.

posted Hide Post
I have one with the Dan Haga designs cheekweld and front shroud with tri rails and a PA red dot with a green lazer. It is a blast to shoot, has been the demise of a lot of critters around my home.
Never a malfunction.

Posts: 449 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
Don’t get caught up in all the Gen 1 trigger hype.

Personally I would want a safety sear in any plastic receivered bullpup that I use.

Posts: 9963 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love mine, zero recoil and just all around fun. I’ve had my Form 1 back on it for well over a year now, really need to get around to shortening that barrel.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Other than the price of ammo, the sucky trigger, and the optic height over bore its pretty neat. I have had a couple for many years and been completely happy. I buy ammo when its cheap (relatively) and the gun itself is completely reliable. Mags are now inexpensive. Spare parts (I haven't needed any but I have bought some spares) are not readily available but eventually show up from MGW.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:
Fun little critters. SBR'd mine using a CMMG barrel. Its been 100% reliable. Try and find one with the original black ring factory optic if that interests you. I never had a real desire to suppress mine, really liked how compact it was.

That’s a great looking SBR. Take that and a Steyr AUG and you’d have the best bullpup combo out there.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Waiting for the ATF paperwork to SBR mine. It nicely complements my FN 5.7 pistol.

I waited for the ammo to go on sale and picked up a case. It wasn't too bad doing it that way.

Chuck

Life's tough...tougher if you're stupid

(AKA "cwr" on SIGforum [email account issues])

Posts: 358 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: February 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
A few issues to sort out if you are thinking of getting one.

First is the type of optic and mount. As others have said the earlier versions came with an optic that had some limitations. Especially the one with the lighter recticle. FN threw in the towel and the newer ones do not have anything. The factory rail puts your optic very high even with a low mount.

These guys have a brilliant solution: Design Machine
It’s a bit pricey but the perfect solution I think. The MRO is a great red dot for the PS90. Keeps it all compact. The Design Machine mount puts the MRO in the perfect line of sight, at least for me. If you don’t like the Trijicon MRO they have mounts for several other red dot sights.

Second issue is ammo. It can be pricey. Palmetto State Armory and SG Ammo are your friends. Palmetto has the America Eagle as well as the blue box factory ammo on sell at times. Usually with free shipping. SG Ammo has the good stuff (red box) in stock right now FN 5.7 500 rd brick SGAmmo.com

Don’t mess around! When you find the ammo at a decent price, plan on stocking up!

Another problem is a sling and mount. Several solutions out there. Pick what works for you.

Finally, the magazines. At one time they were crazy expensive. The 50 rounders are now $25 online. Buy a bunch...

It’s a great weapons system. Especially if you have both the PS90 and the FiveSeven pistol.

Posts: 729 | Location: Middle (of nowhere) Georgia  | Registered: December 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To add a little bit to the above. The optic situation depends a bit on what model PS90 you actually get and what optic you want to mount. As was noted the design machine one is very very nice. I have also used tros and a low mount pic mount as well with good luck.
Best sling mount solution is the Parker Mountain Machine ones. Before those existed I used the urbanert system which you can see in the andyb picture. It doesn't modify the gun and works fine. There are lots of bad stories about the AE ammo so I use the FN blue box stuff FWIW.
It's a great little system if somewhat specialized and expensive.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I had one but there were just too many limitations ... so I got the AR-57 ... same mag, same ammo, use an old AR mag as a brass catcher. This is an old picture ... but as with any typical AR you can dress it up to your hearts content!
After a few months I sold the PS-90 as I knew I'd never shoot it again. True, it's not a bullpup, but it doesn't have a bullpup trigger either!

When I found a full auto bolt I cut 8" off the barrel thinking I cam use it on my M16 receiver, one of my SBR lowers or a pistol receiver ... with a long flash hider or my YHM full auto rated 22 suppressor, which is also warranted for the 5.7

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post