SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Franken-SOCOM 16 testing thread
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Franken-SOCOM 16 testing thread Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
I dropped my rifle into a JAE-100 G3 chassis now and have been in the process of doing some load development. I went out to do some chrono testing and loaded up some 155 grain Berger Hybrids in some LC cases with Remington 9-1/2 primers and began ladder testing with IMR-3031

I tested all the loads first with my 22" barreled M14 to see if the velocities came close to matching the published velocities and they peaked out at 2787 FPS 12' from the muzzle with max recommended load of 42.5 grains of IMR-3031. The best group was 42.0 grains at 2750 FPS.

I began testing the SOCOM but the wind picked up and began to blow my chronograph out of alignment. I wasn't able to finish the last load as the screens were so far out of alignment that I couldn't physically shoot through them. For the ones I could shoot through, I couldn't shoot at the target as the alignment was too far out and I had to just park them in the berm. It was the end of the day anyway and I didn't have time to just reset the screens and try again.

I was very frustrated and ordered a labradar as soon as I got home.

The 41.5 grain load out of the SOCOM measured 2606 FPS. I still have a full grain to work with. I only got 2 shots off on the 42.0 grain load and they were right around 2605, but that's not enough data to tell me anything, so I'll have to do those over. I plugged in 2605 into JBM ballistics and it just becomes subsonic right at 1,000 yards. I'll be curious to see what happens when I get out to the range with the Labradar and the 4.20 grain load and the 42.5 grain load to see what kind of velocity gains I pick up.

On average, the SOCOM barrel was 130 FPS slower than the 22" barrel, so at max load I might be able to get 2650 FPS.

I'm still waiting on Delta-P to make another batch of their gas locks as I believe they are a great accuracy improvement.

Tony.
What kind of groups were you getting?

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for doing this, I agree there isn't a lot of information about accuracy potential for the socom. Seems like most people sell theirs because they didn't think it was accurate enough for what they where wanting to use it for... Which usually is something it isn't designed for. The other half complain about the muzzle break being to loud but it's a 16" .308, so I am curious to know what they thought it would look and sound like.

I personally love mine, did do some tweaks but overall I think it's a great gun for someone who lives in a rural area, isnt confined to using it at public ranges and has realistic expectations about accuracy. I love precision rifles, got direct deposit twice a month from Uncle Sugar to do it as a full time job during my first 13 years in, but firmly believe that every rifle doesn't have to shoot .3 MOA to have use/be fun.

Posts: 220 | Registered: June 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing to do with the issue at hand, but Mjolnir: Where are some of the places you were a burden on the taxpayer? There's something familiar about your name.

Posts: 780 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a frequent of snipers hide. As far as Victor units 3/1 and 3/7 mostly, unless you're in the one I'm in now which might be weird?

Posts: 220 | Registered: June 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guess I was thinking of someone else, either 193rd or 172nd BDE.

Posts: 780 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Just a quick update. I did end up getting the Delta-P gas lock front sight with 5/8x24 threads and installed a Precision Armament M4-72 muzzle brake. The muzzle brake is very effective, but I call it "The Tornado" as it feels like you're in the middle of a tornado every time I fire the rifle. It's extremely unpleasant to anyone to the left or right of me. It's not as harsh of a shock as some other muzzle brakes I've used, but it will blow any loose papers off your bench.

I noticed American Eagle has a 130 grain FMJ hollow point varmint load out and I decided to try it. I noticed that off the shelf 168 and 175 grain ammo really doesn't work well in the SOCOM and it gives me more of a diagonally dispersed pattern than anything else.

I had two other rifles to test that day, so I only fired two groups out of the SOCOM yesterday, but the initial results seem to be promising as I'm seeing a group instead of a dispersement.

50 yards was under 1 inch.

Only group at 100 yards...

I haven't bedded the rifle into the stock yet but it fits very tight. I think my next step will be bedding it to see if I can get the flyer to disappear and give it some really stout draw pressure and polish the stock ferrule and front band. Out of the 10 rounds I fired, it seems to only have the one that got away. I may also add a M14.CA scout hand guard to see if that will add any rigidity to the lightweight profile barrel underneath. It should also act as a heatsink and help the barrel cool quicker. It has three contact points that it clamps to around the barrel.

I have very high hopes for this 130 grain off the shelf ammo. Between work, building customer rifles and family, I have little time for reloading.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post