SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Colt LE6290 M4 Trooper vs LE6920
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colt LE6290 M4 Trooper vs LE6920 Login/Join 
posted
I am seeing some deals on the Colt LE6920 Trooper which is a mid length gas system, no A2 front sight and it comes with an M Lok 13" Centurion Arms extended handguard. Is this rifle the same Mil Specs as the standard Colt 6920? I tried to get info from Colt's website but data is limited. Thanks.

https://www.colt.com/series/M4_CARBINE_SERIES

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 879 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
Are we sure the Trooper is midlength? The picture gave me pause, and this popped up, when looking for the 6920-R, the designation for the trooper:

quote:
While similar in looks (due to the forend and lack of a fixed front sight) to the Talo exclusive Ken Hackathorne designed Colt Combat Unit Carbine, there are some differences with the Trooper. Along with a $250.00 lower MSRP, the Trooper has standard furniture instead of the Magpul pistol grip, stock and triggerguard. Also, the Trooper has a carbine length as opposed to mid-length gas system. The moniker of the new rifle is a callback to Colt’s Trooper revolver introduced in 1953, and fits well into their LE6920 line. If you’re looking for a good, M-lok equipped AR, perhaps the Trooper will give you “Piece of Mind”.

Posts: 1996 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Colt Trooper is a 6920 OEM2 with a Centurion CMR MLOK OEM rail made specifically for the Colt Trooper model.

The Colt Trooper (6920) is a carbine length DI gas gun.

tp

Posts: 908 | Location: TX | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grab A Gun has it listed as a mid length system. Such gun sites many times have wrong weights and lenght's also. I thought that I saw this spec on Colt's website but I am wrong. Thanks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

posted Hide Post
Basic question: Is this 6920 trooper the same quality as Colt's standard 6920?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SSAreGreat:

Yes, as stated above, it's a 6920 OEM2.
The OEM2 is a 6920 minus buttstock, handguard, trigger guard, rear sight and magazine.

Posts: 908 | Location: TX | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g4tx:
quote:

Yes, as stated above, it's a 6920 OEM2.
The OEM2 is a 6920 minus buttstock, handguard, trigger guard, rear sight and magazine.

Thanks g5tx.. the rifle sound lie a good deal especially if one wants a 6920 without the front post.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah its carbine length with a centurion handguard.

If you want a midlength Colt you have to go to the Colt Combat Unit (CCU) Carbine, which has midlength gas setup.

Looks very similar with a Centurion handguard (but it's a bit different than the one on the Trooper).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply. I am not that interested in the mid gas system as I am wanting to ensure that the Trooper is the same specs and quality as the regular. 6920. I want to ensure it is not another version of the "Expanse."

posted Hide Post
Dig around on M4Carbine.net. They had an 85 page thread on the trooper model when it came out. There are a couple other threads on them as well. The consensus is that the trooper is a 6920 OEM 2 (carbine gas, low pro gas block)with a standard Colt pistol grip and stock (4 position) One of the senior members verified that it is a carbine length gas system.

I would expect the quality of the rifle to match the quality of other Colt rifles that came off the line at the same time.

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
Dig around on M4Carbine.net. They had an 85 page thread on the trooper model when it came out. There are a couple other threads on them as well. The consensus is that the trooper is a 6920 OEM 2 (carbine gas, low pro gas block)with a standard Colt pistol grip and stock (4 position) One of the senior members verified that it is a carbine length gas system.

I would expect the quality of the rifle to match the quality of other Colt rifles that came off the line at the same time.

Thanks for the reference CD228, I just found the post you mentioned and after 5 pages it appears to be a solid rifle with no complaints from anyone who owns one. It is defintely high on my list. I am consider this rilfe and a BCM. Ah Decisions, Decisions, Decision.

posted Hide Post
I Have a Trooper and a CCU which is the midlenth Colt. I Like the rail on the trooper better. I had issues with the rail onthe CCU and it had to back to Colt.

Posts: 440 | Location: people republic of Crapachusettes | Registered: September 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stinx:
I Have a Trooper and a CCU which is the midlenth Colt. I Like the rail on the trooper better. I had issues with the rail onthe CCU and it had to back to Colt.

Just curious as to what the issue was regarding the rail. I have a CCU that has yet to see its first trip to the range.

Posts: 3518 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The rail was twisted.

Posts: 440 | Location: people republic of Crapachusettes | Registered: September 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stinx:
The rail was twisted.

Gotcha. I’ll have to check mine out.

Posts: 3518 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't wait to pick my Trooper up tomorrow. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

While I should have bought it last summer when they could be had for $700-ish, at $850 it's still a bargain for what you get.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
I can't wait to pick my Trooper up tomorrow. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

While I should have bought it last summer when they could be had for $700-ish, at $850 it's still a bargain for what you get.

Good for you. Where are you buying it from?

posted Hide Post
quote:

Good for you. Where are you buying it from?
Buds Gun Shop (online, transferred to a local FFL).

posted Hide Post
I have heard pros and cons about Buds. Are they reliable? Thanks

posted Hide Post
quote:
I have heard pros and cons about Buds. Are they reliable? Thanks
<knock on wood> I have done many purchases through them over the years and use their layaway program often. Only once did they have to cancel a layaway on me as the item wasn't held (as it should have been).

I alway inspect the weapons closely before doing the paperwork but they have been 100% on 15+ purchases in the past couple of years.

I think people get 'done wrong' when they accept the weapons with that new gun feeling (ie, they don't look at it closely), do the 4473 then get home and find a nick or something, then blame it on Buds. Buds tells you straight up to inspect before accepting it, then you can return it. Otherwise more than likely (since they don't open the boxes of most of the guns they sell online) to deal with the manufacturer.