SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Colt LE6290 M4 Trooper vs LE6920
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colt LE6290 M4 Trooper vs LE6920 Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
My 6920 Trooper came in today, it's basically a Colt AR-OEM carbine length gas setup with no FSB and a Centurion MLOK rail made specially for the Trooper.

Fit and finish was fine, what I would expect from a Colt AR, good but made to be a fighting rifle, with some assembly marks on the rail which was slightly mis-aligned. When I got home it was easy to loosen the bolts up and straighten it up.

Trigger is milspec but no grit and very smooth for a non-specialty trigger. Standard H buffer, pretty low drama.

The centurion handguard is very slim and gives the weapon a handy feeling even with the Gov't profile barrel underneath it.

Just put it up for now, will likely set it up with some BCM furniture and put an Aimpoint on it to wring it out a bit / make sure it runs fine.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I noticed this...didn't know Colt offered them in factory 14.5" pinned to 16.1" OAL.

https://www.colt.com/detail-pa...-heavy-barrel-pinned

I have a few that were a 6921 set up and had them cut down and pinned. And now they offer them...handy size but maybe a little heavy.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Thats pretty cool, as the regular 6920 with Fixed Front looks kinda wonkey with the longer barrel compared to the issue M4.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SSAreGreat:
Thanks for the reply. I am not that interested in the mid gas system as I am wanting to ensure that the Trooper is the same specs and quality as the regular. 6920. I want to ensure it is not another version of the "Expanse."

As stated, the Colt Trooper is a Colt 6920 with a Colt proprietary MLOK rail made by Centurion Arms. The model was allegedly developed to compete for a large State Police Patrol Rifle contract. Hence the name.

It is a decent deal. My only criticism is Centurion deleted the built in QD attachment points normally found on their MLOK rails as a cost saving measure.

The Colt Combat Unit Carbine (CCU) and the Enhanced Patrol Rifle (EPR) both have the standard Centurion MLOK rail.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rpm2010:
I noticed this...didn't know Colt offered them in factory 14.5" pinned to 16.1" OAL.

https://www.colt.com/detail-pa...-heavy-barrel-pinned

I have a few that were a 6921 set up and had them cut down and pinned. And now they offer them...handy size but maybe a little heavy.

Yeah, the HBPW were pretty much the same as the SOCOM Models, except for the handguard, rear sight, safety, VFG, and the rollmark (Standard, at the time, M4 Carbine rollmark instead of M4A1). Like the SOCOM, they come and go, and exactly what you get seems to change each year with regards to markings on the parts and on the lowers. But, it is a real factory 14.5 SOCOM profile barrel. I converted my 2017 PWHB to a SOCOM.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finally got my Colt LE6920 Trooper to the range - it has been raining all holiday season here, so every other time I wanted to go, it was raining cats-n-dogs.

Anyway, before shooting I installed BCM furniture & MLOK covers, a Noveske STS ambi safety, Magpul BAD lever and BUIS, and the Aimpoint H-2 / ADM mount that I scored over the holidays for $525. Normally I don't add as much before shooting but I was impatient with the long rain delay; however I kept the OEM Trigger in it even though I will likely put a BCM PNT in at some point.

Only shot 110 rounds through it various PMAG and D&H 30rd magazines; a mix of Federal & Men M193, American Eagle and Wolf 55gr FMJs. Zeroed the Aimpoint for 100yd zero using these targets, which you can print out at home and make it SO easy.

http://www.arma-dynamics.com/r...ot-zero-targets.html

I centered the H-2 down the bore before shooting my first round, which was still low and left, but following the clicks on the target got my second shot in the gray, with only one further adjustment needed. I'm sure I'll tighten it up next time out when I confirm it at 100yds, but for all intents it is spot on.

Shooting it side by side with my BCM 16" Midlength ELW AR with a VLTOR A5H2 and SpringCo Rifle spring, it definitely pops up a tad more with the Carbine gas & H1 buffer, but was very controllable still. It's definitely measuring with a micrometer, but the recoil difference between Carbine & Midlength is noticeable when switching between the two.

Anyway, not much else to say - it's a Colt. At one point I rapidly put a 20rd mag of Wolf through doing double taps on two targets, then reloaded with a full 30rd magazine of Federal M193 and moved to failure drills. 50rds in a very short span of time, only pausing at low ready between strings. The Centurion handguard didn't get excessively hot, although it did smoke off some oil still on the barrel from shipping.

All it all, very pleased with this rifle, my first 'complete' AR15 rifle purchase.

posted Hide Post
One thing to note with Colts vs complete non-Blem BCMs. Colts tend to be war horses, not show ponies. It is not uncommon to find small blemishes in the finish that just are not there on the complete BCM rifles and lowers I have bought. BCM does a very good job in the QC department and has great CS for anything that does not meet expectations.

I've got a current sample size of 4 Colt ar-15 type rifles and have owned upwards of 10 different models and configurations over the years. Each of the 4 Colts I own has finish imperfections that would probably have been considered a blem by Paul Buffoni. That being said, from a reliability and accuracy standpoint, my 6920s have been stone cold reliable and are good shooters.

For what the Troopers are going for right now, they are a steal. You can't really go wrong with a 6920 for a general use DI carbine.

Posts: 706 | Location: FL | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post