SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Someone trusted me to work on their Garand
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Someone trusted me to work on their Garand Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
So this is officially the first Garand I've done for a customer. I had a guy previously send me a Garand that had a barrel come loose and all I did was roll the shoulder and torque the barrel on and check headspace. He only sent me a partial rifle and I couldn't test fire it.

I got this CMP Garand (5.69M H&R) and the owner wanted me to convert it from 30-06 to 308. Other than that, it's bone-stock. I cut it with a M118LR chamber reamer. I don't have a baseline for M1 Garand accuracy expectations, but from what I've heard, this is better than average accuracy for a Garand with no NM modification and a standard weight barrel.

Enjoy!

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Better shooting than i could do with it at 100 yds

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Better than I’ve ever shot any of my Garands...

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3181 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Impressive! Very nice. My neighbor was just talking this weekend that he'd like a .308 conversion Garand.

Must be nice to be able to see a target at 100 yards. Or a front sight post. Well, I can see one, or the other, but never both.

It's optometrist time!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
Beautiful piece of walnut!

and good groups as well

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's really impressive Benny6. Be rightfully proud of it...

Posts: 153 | Registered: December 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
That's way better than the minimum acceptance standard. Nice work.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
That's good to know! Thanks for the feedback. The 5-shot group measured 2.2".

Tony.

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Very nice! What specific kind of loads were you using? Was it these?
https://palmettostatearmory.co...on-20rds-gm308m.html

Mine needs a re-barrel, as a previous owner counter-bored the muzzle, I assume the crown was damaged, and I have to cant front and rear windage to the extreme opposite adjustments to get it on paper at 50 yards, and it doesn't group so much as pattern. I've sometimes thought about going with a .308, but had concerns about what kind of ammo would be safe to shoot through it without damaging the oprod. I have an adjustable gas plug, but also a fair amount of M2 ball so I could go either way, I guess.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
That be the stuff right there...

From what I've been told, you can run hotter 308 loads in a Garand than you can the M14 without damage. The gas port on the Garand is at the very end, near the muzzle and the operating rod to gas cylinder fit seems looser than the gas piston to gas cylinder fit on the M14. On the M1 Garand, the bullet only travels maybe an inch and a half after it passes the gas port before it's out of the muzzle.

On the M14, the gas port is about 8" farther back meaning you get more gas pressure going into the gas system and more pressure on the operating rod than you do on the Garand. However, the gas piston on the M14 eventually cuts off the flow as it slides back, but I believe it cycles faster and harder than the M1 Garand.

Plus, with the Garand, you get an extra 2" of barrel length and powder burn which equals more velocity from the same 308 load than you'd have had if you're running it out of a 22" M14.

For example, where you might get 2600FPS from a 175 grain load out of an M14, the same load may come out of a 308 M1 Garand at 2625 FPS (I'm guessing).

Shoot me an e-mail and I'll get your rifle sorted out. I'll cut it with the same reamer I did this one.

Tony.

Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
Very nice! And great shooting. Love these guns...

Posts: 4518 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Tony,

Thanks, I’ll shoot you an email tomorrow. Smile

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the current CMP/DuPage Trading Garand stocks as fitted to the rifle in the OP. A little sanding to improve the wood to metal fit and they refinish nicely.

I'll be sanding and refinishing another one shortly.

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post