SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AR-10 charging handle advice
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR-10 charging handle advice Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
Hey all-

Who do we like for extended/upgraded charging handles on the AR-10 (DPMS pattern).
I would buy the Geissele, if I could find one. What other good options are there?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I have a Radian Raptor on mine, I have one on an AR15 also.
I have a BCM Gunfighter with large latch on my AR9 that I like quite a bit.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Ditto on the Radian Raptor.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Raptor....I believe I have a NOS Rainer Arms marked Raptor I might be willing to part with, if you're interested. Let me check my stash... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8787 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
Ditto on the Radian Raptor.

Double ditto.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
Raptor....I believe I have a NOS Rainer Arms marked Raptor I might be willing to part with, if you're interested. Let me check my stash... Wink

Email me if you do. I have stuff to trade.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
So, Raptor? I see a lot of love for it but why?
What about it makes it the no-brainer go-to charging handle over everything else out there?

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
They are more robust, and they're amphibious, errr, ambidextrous. Razz

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Are there other good ones besides the Radian Raptor?

No doubt, but it was the first and only aftermarket charging handle I settled on based on what reviews I could find, and I have never had any reason to chose anything else. They operate smoothly and reliably from both sides and I had no need—or desire—for something with a latch that was in danger of poking through my rib cage when I was letting the rifle hang. I shoot my AR type rifles while wearing gloves virtually all the time, and the Raptor latch is plenty big and easy to operate.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I tried a POF tomahawk at first as the AR10 Raptor was hard to find at that time.
About the same size and was a nice handle.
They finally had one and I picked it up and sold the POF to a guy at work.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I prefer the Raptor on the AR10 because I feel like it clears the scope a bit better than what I imagine a comparable Geissele on the rifle.

I have both Raptors and Geisseles on other AR15s which have red dots and I've got no problem getting ahold of them, but I suspect the Geissele wouldn't be quite as accessible under a scope.

Untested hypothesis, so take it for what it's worth.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KHolm
posted Hide Post
I am quite pleased with the Aero BREACH charging handles I’m running in a couple AR10’s.

Isaiah 54:17 - No weapon formed against us shall prosper....

What do I want? A time machine.
When do I want it? Irrelevant.

Posts: 1820 | Location: Central Iowa CAPTIVE | Registered: January 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I managed to find a BCM mod 5 handle in stock for $52. I will give it a try. My past experience with BCM has been lukewarm but 100% reliable.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:
I have a Radian Raptor on mine, I have one on an AR15 also.
I have a BCM Gunfighter with large latch on my AR9 that I like quite a bit.

Ditto on the BCM Gunfighter large latch CH. I have them on most of my AR's. Really helps when you have a large scope mounted on your AR.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DamageInc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
Hey all-

Who do we like for extended/upgraded charging handles on the AR-10 (DPMS pattern).
I would buy the Geissele, if I could find one. What other good options are there?

Bruce

I'm using BCM Gunfighters on all of mine. No complaints and I'd highly recommend them.

Posts: 3412 | Registered: June 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post