SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Uberti 73 (Calling Rolan Kraps)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Uberti 73 (Calling Rolan Kraps) Login/Join 
posted
How smooth feeding is the Uberti 73 in general and the 357 in particular?

I have a Marlin 1894 357 that has an "hitch" feeling even though I work the lever with authority.

Will the Uberti 73 feed 38 Special as well?

Anything in particular one should know about Uberti 73?

Posts: 775 | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I don't know much about these rifles, so I'm curious. Does any straight-walled cartridge feed "smoothly" in this kind of rifle? All the original cartridges (.44-40, .38-40 and .32-20) have slightly tapered and bottlenecked cases. And when shot in revolvers, do the cases set back and bind the cylinder?

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As smooth as snot on a wet rock.

Marlins appear to have regained some popularity recently in Cowboy Action Shooting. Some can run them as fast as anything else. They can be slicked up cheaper than a 73.

Yes, it will run 38 specials. That is the cartridge of choice for CAS.

Re what to know: However, it will cost ya. One can easily double the initial price if you require every mod available. My smith is selling new 73s, ready to race, for $2,500. Running with the big dogs ain’t cheap. Most will never be able to take advantage of these rifles. They are fun to run, even if you can’t catch the leaders. I have since sold all of mine except for a 44 spl that I would like to sell.

Hope this helps...

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

If the enemy is in range, so are you...

Posts: 185 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: May 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clayflingythingy:
How smooth feeding is the Uberti 73 in general and the 357 in particular?

I have a Marlin 1894 357 that has an "hitch" feeling even though I work the lever with authority.

Will the Uberti 73 feed 38 Special as well?

Anything in particular one should know about Uberti 73?

A good Marlin smith can tweak your 1894 and make it butter smooth for a lot less than a new Uberti. I have two Marlin .357’s. One is like yours, and the other (1894CP) is so slick it can be cycled with one finger. If it bothers you, get the one you have worked on. I imagine Rolan could point you in the right direction.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
First, let's talk about your Marlin. Marlins are very sensitive to overall case length, especially with .38's. If you've not had an Action Job done on it, I recommend you do. It will come back as a new gun!

Most of my Uberti's come from Cody Conagher. http://www.codyscowboyshop.com/ He sells totally modified rifles for about $1,500.

I have 3. 2 Uberti rifles and one Beretta (Beretta owns Uberti). they are fantastic, but like many things can benefit from an action job.

For action shooting they make "short stroke" kits that shorten the lever throw. Shorter the distance traveled, faster time to cycle.

Whisper Springs are the best replacement hammer lever springs.

The other part is that the Taylor's and Cimarron guns are just Uberti's produced to their specs.

my favorite is the .357 short rifle (20" Octagonal barrel), straight stock. I prefer the Full Buckhorn site and a brass bead front site. If you want to play Cowboy, I always add the Slick's Magic Sure Hit front site. http://www.slickmagicguns.com/SureHitSights.html

New gun cart by Dave Steier, on Flickr

I have the third generation short stroke from Cowboys and Indians shop. Whisper spings

Rolan Rifle by Dave Steier, on Flickr

My wife, Bea Itchin' with her Beretta 1873 Renegade in 357.

Bea Rifle by Dave Steier, on Flickr

My current stable:
Chiappa 1887 12 Gauge, Uberti 1873 Short Rifle, Ruger Bisley Blackhawks in .357.

My guns by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
So?

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post