SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Does anyone regularly hunt deer sized game with 223?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone regularly hunt deer sized game with 223? Login/Join 
posted
What loading do you use? Out of what rifle?

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not me personally but where I live in Alaska, lots of locals (natives on native land) use mini-14s as their go-to rifles for moose and caribou. Ive actually seen it in lots of villages here. I personally stick to a 308 or 30-06 98% of the time.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
Surprisingly many states allow it. I wouldn't advise it. I've killed close to 100 deer in my lifetime. They're tough creatures. I've found broad heads buried in tissue and bone from years past when I've skinned deer. It's amazing what they can survive.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
70gr Barnes TSX out of a 1-7 twist barrel is up to the task as long as you don't attempt something stupid like a drastic quartering-away shot at extended distances.

I prefer using something in the 30-06 or 8mm Mauser class just because I like a significant exit would and I like them to give up the ghost quickly.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AR15.com has 13 pages on it here.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ou...ng-Rounds/23-626832/

"You can take your pistol and stick it so far up your ass, the muzzle of it is visible when you cough."

Posts: 1248 | Registered: February 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Below minimum allowed legal caliber here in VA.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Although I live in Florida, I do a yearly deer hunt on my brother's Georgia farm. Last season and this season I took a deer each with my .223/5.56 and my hand loaded 65gr Sierra Game King bullets. One shot each, both through the lungs. One deer (4 pt buck) dropped right there; the other (mature doe) went about 40yd. Both bullets exited; both bullets expanded from the damage seen. My "normal" deer hunting is with the 300 Blackout, but I wanted to try the .223 for one deer each season.

Edited to add: One was with a Ruger American Ranch Rifle and one was with a Midwest Industries 16" AR upper on a Joe Bob's billet lower with Geissele SSA trigger.

Posts: 137 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Family member uses one occasionally.
Bolt action, 55gr soft points and limits shots to parking one just behind the ear in the upper spine.
Bang - flop. DRT.

Most of the time they use a 30-06 which is what I prefer. (or my 308)

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
A good buddy of mine does and uses Black Hills 60gr VMax if I remember correctly.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25418 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I did once and never again. Was a good shot at maybe 25 yards. 77gn Horanady JHP something if I remember bullet right.

Doe ran and blood trail dried up. Lost it. So upped my game to 30-06. If I ever HAD to use .223 I would do a neck / head shot at close range.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8849 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
A good buddy of mine does and uses Black Hills 60gr VMax if I remember correctly.

Please recommend to him that he switch bullets.

If you slip a Vmax between the ribs it will probably result in a very quick kill.

But into a shoulder and it won't penetrate sufficiently.

The VMax is a varmint/target bullet only.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Why would anybody choose this cartridge? There's so many more appropriate chamberings for deer. I personally wouldn't go below the various 6mm cartridges for deer.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Why would anybody choose this cartridge?

Mainly because they think it's cool to hunt with an AR. I own several, but would never hunt with one. They are generally considerably heavier and don't carry well compared to a typical deer rifle in a suitable caliber.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

Please recommend to him that he switch bullets.

If you slip a Vmax between the ribs it will probably result in a very quick kill.

But into a shoulder and it won't penetrate sufficiently.

The VMax is a varmint/target bullet only.

Then that likely is not what he uses. I know it is a Black Hills for offering.
He has not had one go down yet.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25418 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't hunt deer with a 223, but I have killed hogs with a Mini-14. Shot with a BTSP round. Typically they'll blow through the nearside rib, open up nicely traveling through the organs and crack the back side rib. I have a couple of 223 bullets that were recovered from hogs that were pretty much totally flattened out.

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I have killed several hogs with my AR. They have all dropped in their tracks. I only use 7mm Rem Mag on deer- I don't trust the .223 to plant them.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
4 bucks and 2 does were harvested using 62/77gr
All were recovered no more than 20 yards away.

Posts: 1178 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I think .223 is adequate if you pick your shots, but why use a round that is so close to not enough gun? Go up to a .243 or .25. (Or use a .375 and be SURE.)

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post