SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Palmetto State build kits - barrel ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Palmetto State build kits - barrel ? Login/Join 
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted
I see three barrel types commonly included with the complete uppers or the build kits.

stainless steel
Phosphated or nitrided 4150 (no chrome lining)
CHF, double chrome lined

I'm looking at picking up a kit or another complete upper, and wondering what the pros/cons are?

I don't see a down side to a nitrided barrel sans chrome lining if the rifle will be rarely used.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
In my experience the CHF barrels have been accurate and consistent.
The Nitrided barrels tend to be kind of a hit or miss deal.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I have one of their CHF barrels and it is the least accurate barrel in my safe.

As to nitride vs chrome, both are good.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
well there ya go.... both ends of the spectrum!!!

Posts: 269 | Registered: August 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ed308
posted Hide Post
Chrome lined barrels tend to be less accurate due to the chrome lining in the barrel. Remember, you're adding the chrome to the inside of the barrel which can affect accuracy. With nitride treatment of the barrel, nothing is added. It's merely a salt water bath treatment. Every nitride or melonite treated barrel I've owned has been more accurate than chrome lined barrels I've owned. The nitride bath also makes the steel harder and rust resistant. Stainless barrels are also usually more accurate than chrome lined barrels. I prefer a nitride barrel over chrome or stainless.

Posts: 605 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
It is interesting to see the different experiences that people have with similar products.

All the FN built CHF barrels that my friends and I have received from PSA are very consistent and hold tighter groups than the other PSA barrels that we have.

I was out at my range last weekend and we were trying out a bunch of different PSA uppers and that was the general consensus.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Freedom and PTAC barrels seem to be hit or miss. You get what you pay for. You might get a good one, but maybe not

Posts: 971 | Registered: January 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too nice for
my own good
Picture of sigarmsVin
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with PSA CHF barrel on my sbr. Normally I use ballistic advantage barrels but I'd give PSA a thumbs up.

Posts: 915 | Location: Tri-State | Registered: March 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The last I checked into it the CHF barrels were made by FN with machine gun barrel steel. This is what I have always purchased,and the accuracy has been good.

Posts: 12657 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post