SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    I have a choice on three rifles... and I'd like your opinions
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I have a choice on three rifles... and I'd like your opinions Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
Good evening, SF. I've been thinking on a new .22LR rifle, and I'm torn between three models.

Typically, I'm a Ruger guy, and the Ruger American Rimfire Target (8348 ) and the Ruger American Long Range Target ( 8378) have my attention, as well as the CZ 457 AT-One ( 02365) 16-1/2" mentioned to me here a few weeks ago.

I'm in no rush to buy, and that's a good thing as they all appear to be out of stock right now. No sweat.

Anybody here got experience with these? Even better, anyone got all three? Cool

It would be a plinker for me, really, but any of them would make a good suppressor host too, I think.

Opinions?

Thanks, all.

- - - - -

Edited to add pics:

Ruger 8348

Ruger 8378

CZ 457 AT-One

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vthoky,

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Listening in on this one.
I recently shot a Precision Rimfire match, and have been bitten by the bug. Bad.
The Ruger Precision Rimfire (8400) is where I’m probably headed.

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
The 8400 has been suggested to me too. I just can't seem to get over its funky looks. Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
The 8400 has been suggested to me too. I just can't seem to get over its funky looks. Big Grin

Shoot one. I did, at the match.
It made the sound of money about to be spent. Big Grin

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

All three (or four!) seem to be making that sound in my ear. I may have to sell a P239 to help fund it... Eek

God bless America.

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
That CZ is beautiful.

I have a CZ in 17Hornet and I love it. It’s a miniature Mauser receiver.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
CZ. No questions asked.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go CZ and don't look back. They're great rifles.

Wes

Posts: 2413 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I'm choosing a .22 rifle also, to be suppressed most of the time. The CZ AT-One is also available with a 24" barrel but I figured with a can on it that would be pretty long. Same with the Ruger LR Target and its 22" barrel. So I'm pretty much down to either the Ruger American Target or the 16.5" AT-One. I'm leaning toward the CZ because, well CZ, and because it's just a beautiful rifle. If I wasn't going to suppress it, I'd go with one of the longer barrelled options. I don't care for the looks of the Ruger Precision Rimfire either.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Hokey, my reflexive response was going to be the CZ and the model you listed looks awesome! I love that stock and the features it call out.

However after clicking on the Ruger Long Range Target link that model looks legit. I like the stock on it as well. It has a longer barrel which will make shooting .22 very quiet natively.

I think either would be a fine choice, given that I have not handled either, I would let that be your guide, how do they feel in person the fit and finish.

Look forward to your selection.

HK Ag

Posts: 3496 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I've shot a CZ 457 quite a bit. Not the exact model, but similar enough. It is easily one of my favorites. Good fit and finish, easily suppressed, and it has that old world feel. Solid steel and wood. The Ruger precision line shoots well enough, but I personally dislike the look and feel of them.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I should not have opened this thread.

My only question is, should I go for one of the rifles in here, or just go all out for a used Ruger 77/22?

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Love my 77/22, Artie! (No, you can't have it.) Razz

As for the other three I mentioned: none of them are in stock anywhere (that I can find) right now. We're both out of luck right now, sir.

- - - - - - -

Maybe I should have made this a poll... but it does look like the majority here lean toward the CZ. I have some long-standing Ruger loyalty, but dang that CZ is tempting!

As looks go, I think the 8348 just has a classic, tidy appearance. The Ruger magazine holds 10, while the CZ holds 5... but that's not super important to me for casual "how well can I shoot today?" afternoons.

The Ruger products have the standard rail, while CZ mentions an "integral 11mm dovetail." I don't think I know enough about that -- can someone educate me on that?

God bless America.

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I will forever kick myself for passing on them when they were $185. Young=stupid.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Mine wasn't that cheap when I got it, but it has been a good while ago. Cool

God bless America.

Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
As for the other three I mentioned: none of them are in stock anywhere (that I can find) right now.

Did you try GrabAGun? I've bought from them before, they're good.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I finally picked up a .22 rifle a few months ago and went with a 457 Lux. I wanted the nicer irons as I'll never mount a scope on it.

CZ makes a beautiful .22.

(stock photo)

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
Using gun.deals, I was able to find a few of your options in stock.

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/02365
https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/8348

Posts: 3518 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Great find! Thank you Spiff!

God bless America.

Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
none of them are in stock anywhere (that I can find) right now. We're both out of luck right now, sir.

IIRC, you're in the southern part of WV. Last time I stopped in (3 weeks ago), Dunlap's in Hurricane had the Precision Rimfire in stock - at least 2 of them were on the wall. They may have other models, as they are one of the few around here to actually have things in stock these days.