SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    I have a choice on three rifles... and I'd like your opinions
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I have a choice on three rifles... and I'd like your opinions Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Thank you, VNM. I'm about a three-hour drive from Hurricane, actually -- not far from southern WV, though.

I may have to plan a weekend road trip soon. Cool

Now that you have me thinking that way, I think I need to have a look around Princeton, too.

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Thank you, VNM. I'm about a three-hour drive from Hurricane, actually -- not far from southern WV, though.

I may have to plan a weekend road trip soon. Cool

Now that you have me thinking that way, I think I need to have a look around Princeton, too.

My job takes me to Princeton once every month. Next trip is... next week.

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
It's been a while since I've been over there -- it may be time again!

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VictimNoMore:
quote:
none of them are in stock anywhere (that I can find) right now. We're both out of luck right now, sir.

IIRC, you're in the southern part of WV. Last time I stopped in (3 weeks ago), Dunlap's in Hurricane had the Precision Rimfire in stock - at least 2 of them were on the wall. They may have other models, as they are one of the few around here to actually have things in stock these days.

Have you tried the Bridgeport/John Deere store in Charleston?
They usually have a pretty good selection of about everything

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2906 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I have the same rifle except I replaced the stock rear sight with a target diopter. The slope of the stock is designed for irons, and its the most comfortable cheak weld I've ever used with irons.

quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
I finally picked up a .22 rifle a few months ago and went with a 457 Lux. I wanted the nicer irons as I'll never mount a scope on it.

CZ makes a beautiful .22.

(stock photo)

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElKabong:
Have you tried the Bridgeport/John Deere store in Charleston?
They usually have a pretty good selection of about everything

I haven't, but I'll add it to the road trip list. Thank you.

God bless America.

posted Hide Post
I had a CZ in 22 and 17 mach 2. Only rimfre that I ever had that was prettier or shot better was my Kimber 22 Hunter.

CZ's are top shelf.

Yeah, I used to have a couple of guns.

Posts: 434 | Location: North Central Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Aww, crap. Now I'm distracted with a fourth -- another CZ.

I offer, for your consideration, the 457 ProVarmint:

Looks like a "less-pretty but just as functional" AT-One, without the stock adjustability.

I figure it will net out about $70 less.
I still think the AT-One is a really good-looking rifle. Cool

God bless America.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
For bolt action rimfires, CZ 452/455/457s are really hard to beat. I enjoy Ruger 10/22s quite a bit as well, but you'll have to pry my 452 (22LR) and 455 (22LR/17HMR combo) out of my cold dead fingers.

In fact the only reason I got the 455 American combo (came with 22 & 17HMR barrels) was because my son will be asking for the 452 at some point, as it was the rifle I taught him to shoot with. The 455 got me to love the 17HMR round as well.

I could easily have a safe full of CZs but the two I have left me no reason to stray. I did buy a tactical type stock CZ455 but never shot it, so I moved it on to someone who could put it to good use.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Aww, crap. Now I'm distracted with a fourth -- another CZ.

I offer, for your consideration, the 457 ProVarmint:

Looks like a "less-pretty but just as functional" AT-One, without the stock adjustability.

I figure it will net out about $70 less.
I still think the AT-One is a really good-looking rifle. Cool

It's a tough call between that and the At-One. Stock is only difference. The ProVarmint has a very nice stock, I like them quite a bit. But the adjust ability of the At-One is hard to beat. You couldn't go wrong either way. But the At-One gives you more options in stock form, which may be especially helpful if others ever shoot your rifle.

quote:

The Ruger products have the standard rail, while CZ mentions an "integral 11mm dovetail." I don't think I know enough about that -- can someone educate me on that?

It's as simple as it sounds. Receiver has 11mm dovetail cuts. There are all sorts of options for mounting stuff. From direct mount rings to rails. Area 419 and DIP both make some very nice stuff. While pricey this thing is great = https://www.area419.com/product/cz457-scope-base/

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a stainless/synthetic 20.5" CZ 455 last year.
It is extremely accurate with Federal match ammo and a diamondback scope. It came with a 5 rnd mag, but 10rd & 25rd are available.
The ability to swap barrels for other rimfire calibers was one of the reasons for buying it. The trigger is nice, and it is a great looking rifle to boot. I can't speak for the other rifles, I know this one won't be sold.

Posts: 3580 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the link, apltraum. Scrolling through the pics there almost makes me want to get the ProVarming, and then have my friend in NC hydro-dip the stock with a neat camo pattern of some sort. But still, the wood on the AT-One is mighty classy.

I understand the idea of the dovetail cuts, but I'm just having trouble picturing them (or finding a close-up picture of them). It's just the engineer-head, I think -- sometimes I've just gotta see it to understand it. More learning to do! Smile

Also, there's mention on the Area 419 page about 15- or 30MOA rail cant. I don't think I know what rail cant is, and tonight's surfing isn't turning up good search results. What part of the rail is canted? Help again, please? Confused

God bless America.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank you for the link, apltraum. Scrolling through the pics there almost makes me want to get the ProVarming, and then have my friend in NC hydro-dip the stock with a neat camo pattern of some sort. But still, the wood on the AT-One is mighty classy.

I understand the idea of the dovetail cuts, but I'm just having trouble picturing them (or finding a close-up picture of them). It's just the engineer-head, I think -- sometimes I've just gotta see it to understand it. More learning to do! Smile

Also, there's mention on the Area 419 page about 15- or 30MOA rail cant. I don't think I know what rail cant is, and tonight's surfing isn't turning up good search results. What part of the rail is canted? Help again, please? Confused

Just so it's clear, if you're thinking that camo one in the pic on the 419 page is a painted ProVarmint...it's not. That's a 457 Varmint Precision Trainer. It's quite a bit more expensive due to that stock, it's a carbon fiber Manners. Just buying one of those stocks from Manners costs about as much or more than an At-One. But other than that stock, it's pretty much like any other heavy barreled 457. With one exception pretty much all of the 457 models are identical other than barrel length and profile, stock, and sights (some have irons). The only real exception currently is the MTR which has a different match chamber. But you could easily paint the Pro Varmint to pretty closely match that Precision Trainer. Of course, you may have known that wasn't a painted Pro Varmint all along and I'm just rambling.

Anyways, there should be plenty of easy to find info on canted scope bases like that. They are canted in the front. Basically a canted base like that allows you to use more of your scopes total elevation travel. It's something primarily for longer distances.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
But still, the wood on the AT-One is mighty classy.

I have an AT-One on a Kimber 82 that I use for smallbore. It's pretty stiff and when I sling up there is no barrel deflection. The adjustments are a bit crude compared to stocks that use threaded adjusters, but at it's price range it can't be beat.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alptraum:
Just so it's clear, if you're thinking that camo one in the pic on the 419 page is a painted ProVarmint...it's not. That's a 457 Varmint Precision Trainer. It's quite a bit more expensive due to that stock, it's a carbon fiber Manners. {snip} Of course, you may have known that wasn't a painted Pro Varmint all along and I'm just rambling.

Truly, I didn't know. Thank you for the additional information.

quote:
Originally posted by alptraum:
Anyways, there should be plenty of easy to find info on canted scope bases like that.

I'll do some more surfing on it in the morning. Cool

God bless America.

An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
My vote is for the CZ. Handled a 457 at the LGS and came away favorably impressed.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Aha! Now I get the 11mm dovetail thing.

Having found pics, I see it's one of those "I knew what it was but didn't know it was called that" items.

I'm really liking that Area 419 rail mount, alptraum.

God bless America.

Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
I have the CZ 455 with Bull barrel and CZ 457 At One
The 455 suppressed out shoots the 457 suppressed. Consistent one hole groups with the 455 and CCI Quiet .
457 is 24" barrel. Still trying out different ammo to find what the 457 likes.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I'm curious... what makes your 455 better than the 457?

God bless America.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
The dovetail thing is no big deal, I just use CZ Rings that are the right size. I did buy a DIP rail with the intention of using it, but after awhile figured I didn't need to and sold it off.

I really like the handiness of my 452 American with a 16" barrel. Looks kind of odd / short for a bolt action without a suppressor with that shorter barrel, but you really gain no velocity with rimfire calibers much beyond 16".

I plan to send my 455 22LR and 17HMR barrels off to be cut down to 16.5" and threaded, as they came with 20" barrels. I had the 17HMR threaded and it works as is, but I may have it cut down as well.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post