SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    I have a choice on three rifles... and I'd like your opinions
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I have a choice on three rifles... and I'd like your opinions Login/Join 
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
I’m not sure. 455 with a DeadAir Mask using CCI Quiet is unbelievably accurate.
I’m still trialing loads with the 457 to determine its best load.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just FWIW I bought both a Ruger RPR 22lr and a Tikka T1-X for ballpark similar price. It's a not contest. The Tikka is more accurate, smoother, has a better trigger BY FAR than the Ruger and for that matter 3 or 4 CZ rimfires I've owned. Do yourself a favor and look at the Tikka T1x. If you don't like the stock the action will fit into any Tikka T3 stock including the inexpensive Boyd's stock like on the CZ AT1.

I've owned quite a few nice rimfire rifles including Ruger RPR, CZ, Kimber, Savage, Anschutz etc etc. The Tikka T1x is the one I'm shooting now. (Mine has a nice Manners stock fwiw).

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the Tikka recommendation; I'll look into it. Some years ago my LGS owner handed me a Tikka rifle to check out. Goodness gosh, the action was smooth! It wasn't something I needed, but it seemed like a very well-built rifle.

I've got a Tikka dealer down the road a piece; I may drive down there this afternoon and see what's on hand.

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SOTAR
posted Hide Post
Its been a few years now, I bought a CZ 453 and love it. I'm glad I was able to pick up CZ's first generation of bolt action 22. I'm biased and would pick up another 453 or 452 without question.

452 was the original and is based on a Mauser style action

453 is a 452 with a single set trigger (I think there are a few other differences, stock, sites etc.. but that was the main one for me)

455 replaced 452 around the 2009/2010 time frame.
- The 455 has an interchangeable barrel system, so the owner could switch to a different caliber.
- It seemed like they did this mostly for marketing and to be more "modern" IMO.
- There are a few other differences, as well as a lot of internet opinions that CZ messed up with the 455.

457 is the latest iteration which has apparently corrected the mistakes that were made in the 455.

I'll just keep shooting my 453 and thus won't have any first-hand knowledge to share.

Why companies think they need to changes something that is perfectly good, I'll never know. (I know why just had to say it)

Posts: 1037 | Location: portland, OR | Registered: October 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I have been looking at 22 rifles with increasing frequency. And CZ has me enamored!!!! I am pretty sure you can do barrel swaps with the cz and get multiple calibers. Someone set me straight if that isnt the case?

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
I have been looking at 22 rifles with increasing frequency. And CZ has me enamored!!!! I am pretty sure you can do barrel swaps with the cz and get multiple calibers. Someone set me straight if that isnt the case?

The 455 and 457 were designed to easily switch barrels. Calibers available are .22lr, .22wmr, and .17hmr. The barrels for the 455 and 457 are the same other than finish (blued vs nitride).

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
^^^^

That's mighty good to know, too! The CZ is becoming all the more tempting to me now.

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
hoky-
I have sourced a Tikka T1x locally. No Ruger Precision Rimfires to be found, anywhere.
Research is looking good on the Tikka.

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I'm really liking the looks of that Tikka, and still drooling some over the CZ AT-One.

I did email my local gun guy last night to ask him to check on availability.

We'll see what comes up. Stay tuned!

God bless America.

posted Hide Post
Let me throw a Monkey wrench into all of this:

https://www.bergara.online/us/rifles/bxr/

I'm having a hard time not wanting this as my next rimfire. Will it have better accuracy than your average 10/22 upgrade clone? Probably not but it's still cool. I used to run a 22 Silhouette competition at a major Gun Club. I saw a lot of very accurate 22 match grade auto rifles. But in the end. Cost for Cost, equal quality for equal quality a semiauto's just won't be as accurate as a Bolt gun. Some of the semi auto's were way accurate for what they were but spend the same money on a bolt gun and they would shoot smaller groups. I guess the question is how small do they have to be?

I looked at a CZ AT-one today at a gunstore. Looks funny with that stock and such a short barrel without a suppressor attached. I've had 3 or 4 CZ rimfire and NONE of them have been as smooth or accurate as the 2 Tikka T-1x's I own now. My 22lr shoots in the .3's for 10 shots at 50yds and the 17 shoot well sub 1/2" 5 shot groups at 100yds. The Ruger RPR 22 I have is maybe .5ish @ 50ys with good ammo so it's not too off the Tikka and has a more adjustable stock. The CZ AT-One stock looks adjustable and comfortable but I'm not sure it's going to shoot in the .3's for 10 shots but I like the warmth of wood.

In the $500ish range give or take I still don't think you'll find a smoother more accurate rifle than the Tikka. You might find an accurate enough Auto like the Bergara or Ruger HB. You might find a more adjustable stocked rifle like the Ruger RPR, or a nicely stocked comfortable CZ At-One. But I don't know personably of a more ACCURATE and Smooth rifle with as good of a trigger as the Tikka.

And just FWIW Boyds makes the AT-One stock to fit the Tikka.

All of the above are nice rifles well worth owning. If you are in the DFW area you are more than welcome to meet me at the range and try out all of mine to see which one you might want to buy for yourself. I'm just trying to show the advantages and disadvantages of each. :-)

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
The Tikka wasn't out when I got into CZs and my first 452/22LR cost like $350. For that price it was hard to beat and I freely admit I'm not a little group shooter; I get a solid zero and then I shoot stuff - steel, clays, rodents, etc.

They all are great in their own right and I think after all this research, decide what you are really looking for / how much $$$ you want to sink into the project, and just jump right in with one of them. Personally I'd go CZ or Tikka.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
hoky-
I ended up buying the Ruger Precision Rimfire, found one at Bud's (of all places). The Tikka was *very* tempting; I may still go that route. (It's at the Charleston Cabela's, if you're interested.)
Shooting NRL-22 matches in the base class, I'm limited to $1050 for rifle and scope. My scope was $350, so that ruled out the Bergara and CZ's precision model of the 457 on the upper end.
It is amazing how many good choices there are today for rimfire bolt action rifles.

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Hey, VNM, have you had a chance to shoot yet? Thank you for pointing out the Tikka in Charleston -- this weekend got pinched, but I may set up a trip over there for next weekend.

DJ: that Bergara is way intriguing as well. My first thought was "that looks very 10/22-ish." And sure enough, there's reason for that. Cool
And yes, the AT-One does look a little funny with that short barrel, but part of my intent is to attach a suppressor later on. I certainly appreciate the invitation; unfortunately a trip to DFW would take more than an afternoon. Wink

I'm still thinking on this....

God bless America.

Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Hey, VNM, have you had a chance to shoot yet? Thank you for pointing out the Tikka in Charleston -- this weekend got pinched, but I may set up a trip over there for next weekend.

hoky-
The Ruger is en route from Bud's to my local FFL here. I have shot the Ruger Precision Rimfire (belongs to a fellow competitor), and I am shooting it (my friend's) this Wednesday in a match. He has the same exact setup (scope) that I will have.
It's a good rifle. Nothing fancy about it. Once I get my RPR, I will be able to provide more detail about its accuracy and shooting qualities as I sight it in.
As for the Tikka at Cabela's in Charleston; give them a call before coming up, just to make sure it's still there in stock. The guy I talked with there said sales have been very brisk, lately.

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VictimNoMore:
sales have been very brisk, lately.

I'll bet so! Big Grin

But yes, calling first is certainly a good idea. Charleston is a little more than "just across town." Wink

God bless America.

Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Hey, VNM, have you had a chance to shoot yet?

Finally got everything together and went to sight-in the Ruger Precision Rimfire yesterday, hoky. No bag support (just a bipod on the front), and got the rifle to about 1.5" at 50 yards, initially. If I did *my* part, that is.
I'm considering getting higher scope mounts (went with mediums...they are a touch low for me), but otherwise, the rifle is a nice shooter. The trigger (adjustable)is about perfect for me, right out of the box.
I like it.

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Very good! I'm glad to hear it, and thank you for the update.

I haven't gotten to make the Charleston call or trip yet (last week at work was hella rough), but I'm still staring hard at the RPR and that CZ.

Surfing the web a couple of weekends ago, I found a place that had the CZ. In classic life-is-a-rush style, I've misplaced my note. Time to go surfing again....

And as CZ goes, that 457 ProVarmint (02359) is still tempting too. Cool

God bless America.

posted Hide Post
I much prefer the CZ's over the Rugers I've owned and/or shot.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Update: I found a place that had the CZ in stock, and on the recommendations of several here plus one at work, I ordered it. Should be in my eager hands next week.

Now I need to learn about scope rings for it, and decide whether to put Nikon on top (I'm a fan of the ProStaff, and there are some still out there), or a Sig Whiskey3. I do like that Area 419 device.

God bless America.

Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you found your rifle, hoky!
I went with the Vortex Diamondback 6-24x50 scope, which I know is made in China, but it is the most glass that fits within the NRL-22 rules/budget.
A $35 cantilever mount found on Amazon worked perfectly (high scope mounts weren’t high enough to clear).
Looking forward to photos of your new setup!