SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Hornady Steel Match .223 55gr BTHP
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady Steel Match .223 55gr BTHP Login/Join 
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted
Decided to order some of this to try .
Just as a 100yrd paper puncher.
Has anyone tried this stuff?
I plan to shoot it thru my Ruger American and might try it in my Rock River Predator.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GrumpyBiker,

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've shot both the 55 grain and 75 grain steel match loads in two AR15s -- a DSC 24" 1/8 SS barrel and a Wilson 16" 1/9 SS barrel. All combinations of barrels and ammo functioned fine, without loading or ejection issues.

I found accuracy to be lackluster, especially for BTHP bullets. My best groups at 100 yards were about 1.5". This compares to quality ammo, which generally produces groups around 1". Both barrels shoot match ammo with 1/2" to 3/4" groups.

All in all, functional ammo, but nothing that exited me enough to buy it again.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tried it in 3 weapons.... not at all worth it. The label "Match" is a LONG Stretch of the word. 3 MOA at the best.

14.5" Noveske - sucked
18" Noveske Match - sucked
24" Surgeon Bolt - sucked

Tried 3 different boxes - all different lots. Nothing worth writing home about.

And the 24" Surgeon Bolt will hold 0.5 MOA all day long with handloaded 80.5gr Bergers.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
300rds arrived, guess I’ll find out.
I think I’ll take some Remington Cor Lokt .223 55gr along to compare it toss I have a couple boxes if it sitting in the safe.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have shot it in the past, better accuracy then most bulk/surplus/Russian ammo not as accurate as premium ammo.

I only used it in one AR 15 carbine, 16" match barrel. It did 1.5 MOA in it most of the time, sometimes 2 MOA.

I haven't shot it in a while, for some reason it became it became unattonium around here. I would pick some up if the price was right.

ARman

Posts: 3146 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
The Swiss made Winchester OT 62 gr. Is the best bulk ammo I’ve used followed closely by Hornady Frontier 62 gr FMJ.

I have a faxon gunner profile 16” 416 stainless barrel on a stag LH upper. 223 Wylde 1/8.

I can regularly shoot 1 minute 5 shot groups with the Winchester. As a matter of fact, I have tried multiple match ammos and the only one I can shoot better is ADI 55 grain Game kings.

In my other guns it’s not quite as good as 77 grain SMK, but still pretty good.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried Hornady's steel match specifically, but I've used their steel cased SST hunting ammo with good results.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post