SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Question about AR-15 Lower Parts Kits (LPKs)…
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about AR-15 Lower Parts Kits (LPKs)… Login/Join 
posted
Hey all,

I have 6 Aero Precision lowers sitting in my safe that I would like to get “mostly” built in the near future.

I am looking to install the following:

• Pivot Pin,
  • Take-Down Pin,
  • Bolt Catch, and
  • Mag Catch/Release

This is all I really need as I will probably go with a non-standard trigger guard, commercially available polished fire control group, and a buffer tube assembly based on whether I want to build a pistol or rifle.

There are several kits that are available minus these parts and grip (I have several grips and stocks in my stockpile).

I have used or helped with builds using LPKs from several manufacturers and admittedly have never had a problem.

Of the non-Gucci names (LMT, Geissele, Bravo Company, etc.), is one of the following better quality than another???

I am looking at kits from:

• CMMG (have assembled several rifles with these)
  • White Oak Armament (have assembled several rifles with these and liked them)
  • Smith & Wesson (they have a new kit coming out and is available for preorder on Brownells)
  • PSA (will probably avoid this due to limited options for a basic kit)
  • Brownells
  • Joe Bob Outfitters
  • Someone Else???

I want all American made parts and the best quality parts available.

Has anyone reviewed one or more of these kits and found one to be better quality than another?

Your insight is appreciated.

Thanks…

The "Boz"

Posts: 1528 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I have no problems with Rock River Arms parts

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I like DSG Arms and they offer most of the individual parts you need.

I have a lot of their stuff in weapons and as spares.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
all good options there. a couple of vendors offer "build your own lpk"
i like white oak, and they have a granular build your own product page:
whiteoak-lpk

Posts: 774 | Location: FL | Registered: November 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All,

Thanks for the responses so far.

My takeaway from your responses thus far is that, "it doesn't matter which I choose because they are all good for the most part"?

If that is the case, I may pre-order a couple of the new Smith & Wesson kits and the rest from White Oak and do a comparison.

If there are any opinions, I would like to hear them.

Thanks.

The "Boz"

Posts: 1528 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They do vary. Aero sells limited kits without various parts depending on which kit you get. But I've heard about some issues, and their castle nuts are definitely not as good as some Magpul ones I already had.

Last 3 lowers I built I used Radian parts for the takedown pins, ambi selector, mag release button, and QD endplate, Norgon Ambi-catches, Geissele triggers, Magpul grips, and Colt bolt releases. For the rest of the small parts I bought them from an LGS, and they said they were KAK parts.

Some of these are a bit pricey, but I shoot left handed so I need them. The Radian stuff is really good too.

For kits of various size - Colt, LMT, BCM, Geissele are all good. I like Geissele's diamond plate knurling so that's enough reason to choose them over the others.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
CMMG parts are known good quality. SOLGW is another which sits at around $40 for a basic quality kit with no grip, trigger, or buffer.

One of the OEMs to look for in a LPK is Schmid Tool, they have the S in a square on several parts. Most of the top kits are using this OEM.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
My last 2 builds have been Tom's Tactical sans the triggers and they are just as good as a BCM lpk I have used IMO. Triggers are a different beast all together.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
only parts kit that I thought was odd with the Anderson with the funky SS hammer,

however never had a problem putting one together, nor any complaints from the ones I sold,

note, if you are doing a semi MG42 build, that funky anderson hammer works great,

dpms, Bushmaster, Aero, were all good to go,

if you are just looking for the parts mentioned, may be cheaper in the long run to just order a handful of each part, unless you need extras or spares of the parts not being used,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Questions = Harassment
posted Hide Post
I always pick up my small parts from Damage.
http://damageindustriesllc.com/store/

Posts: 370 | Location: VA | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the responses...

I will be ordering some kits tomorrow. May go with a couple of different manufacturers/resellers mentioned by you guys.

Thanks,

The "Boz"

Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
As mentioned Sons of Liberty Gun Works and DSG are great sources.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6996 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I did not see it mentioned. Looks at Tom's Tactical. A great company. American made parts. Great prices. Great service. You won't be disappointed. I will guarantee you that. Smile

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
I did not see it mentioned. Looks at Tom's Tactical. A great company. American made parts. Great prices. Great service. You won't be disappointed. I will guarantee you that. Smile

I’ve used their LPK in four builds...their nickel Teflon trigger groups are a great buy...quick shipping to boot...Tom’s Tactical has been my “stock up on AR LPKs, anything you might need in the future such as Toolcraft BCGs”...solid Texas Company and a pleasure to do business with Smile

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For inexpensive, I usually go with Stag, multiple rifles and two carbine classes, no issue.

Posts: 4546 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
Just to butt in/add to the thread, what's the general opinion on PSA?

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 3 AR15 lowers which contain Wilson Combat LPKs. Multiple uppers are swapped among these lowers, including hard-use short-range uppers and slower-fire precision uppers. My records show the 3 lowers have fired a combined total of more than 20,000 rounds.

While using the 3 lowers, I've shot out 2 barrels. Worn out one bolt. Replaced a handful of firing pin retaining pins. Retired at least three gas ring sets. But all the parts in the LPKs are still chugging along without issues.

I have two new stripped lowers in the wings, to reduce some of the upper swapping among existing finished lowers. The first parts I have for the two new stripped lowers are Wilson LPKs.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jester814:
Just to butt in/add to the thread, what's the general opinion on PSA?

I have two PSA builds (upper, build kit, stripped lower). No issues at all and they were cost effective.

A couple weeks ago I saw a post on another board listing the US-based manufacturers of LPKs and whatnot for AR15s. There were three or four, and under each was a list of the sellers distributing them. I'll see if I can find it again, but no promises.

Posts: 55 | Registered: July 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I’ve always been partial to Spikes and CMMG.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Again... Thanks all.

I have not ordered anything yet because you all are giving me a bunch of homework.

I know, pick one and go with it. If it is from a big player, it will be fine or they will make it right.

Problem is, I do not know the fate of these lowers and their ultimate use. Will one be the base of my next SBR, will it be my nightstand rifle, will I sell them or will I give them to family? So... I just want quality without sending the markup prices that Geissele and other put on them.

Again... Thanks. I am looking at every option recommended above.

The "Boz"