SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Need some help with my .30 Carbine
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need some help with my .30 Carbine Login/Join 
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted
I picked this up at Tulsa about 10 years ago. The rifle and those accessories were a package and he wanted $800...we ended up agreeing on $700 for everything. IDK, I might have paid too much but it was something I just had to have. The rifle is an Inland with serial number of 5121284. I was told it is tough to figure out a build date even with a serial number but what do I know? The reason I am providing all of this info is just because the first thing I want to know is, well... what did ya pay for it?

Here is my problem. This thing has always failed to eject a spent case every four or five rounds. The case always gets held up between the magazine and chamber. I've used various brands of magazines (a few came with the purchase) and some the ancient mags are the most reliable. I just recently bought three KCI mags and the problem remained. The ammo varies from reloads to old factory stuff. I did some research and it seems like the Operating Slide Spring can cause this problem. What do you guys think? That slide spring is tough to find but I did find one place that still has it. An entire spring kit is non-existant right now. Or, am I going down the wrong road?

The bayonet fits perfectly:

I had to throw this in. Smile

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Serial 5121284 would put it at early 1944. Check on the top of the barrel about an inch behind the front sight for a date, which will generally be roughly near when the carbine was finally assembled (but can be off by as much as a month or two), provided it still has its original barrel.

Wolff offers good quality M1 Carbine replacement springs. Or you can still find NOS USGI recoil springs out there on the secondary market.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When was the last time the bolt was disassembled, cleaned and inspected?

If you don't know, I'd be looking to buy or borrow a bolt tool for some cleaning and inspection.

Ejectors can get gummed up and extractors can chip and extractor springs can break.

Replacement extractors and springs are cheap and easy to find. Or at least they were pre-Covid. NOS GI is still out there. I think there was a fellow on both the CMP forum and AR15.com selling NOS operating slide springs as well as other carbine springs.

Bolt tool: https://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=270984

Operating slide and ejector springs: https://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=262915

Posts: 921 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I've used the Garand op rod springs from Orion. Solved a few issues. They also sell parts for the carbine.

They have a "rebuild kit" for $115 that has:

Firing pin.
Ejector assembly.
Extractor.
Extractor spring & plunger.
Op spring.
Trigger spring.
Sear spring.
Hammer spring.
Bolt stop spring.
Trigger pin.
Mag catch spring & plunger.
Double end plunger.
Hammer Pin.

Orion M1 Carbine Parts

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
I might have paid too much..

You can't pay too much, just too soon. Wink

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
I might have paid too much..

You can't pay too much, just too soon. Wink

$700 was a good price 10 years ago, akin to what the CMP was charging for their Carbines at the time, and it looks like you got a nice package of accessories along with it to boot.

And $700 for all that is a great price today.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the replies. I looked just below the front sight and it reads: Inland Manufacturing--General Motors-- 3 44. So it looks like the barrel might be original with a build date of March, 1944.

I have never taken the bolt apart, just cleaned it. I will check out Orion as well.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks guys for the replies. I looked just below the front sight and it reads: Inland Manufacturing--General Motors-- 3 44. So it looks like the barrel might be original with a build date of March, 1944.

I have never taken the bolt apart, just cleaned it. I will check out Orion as well.

I think you got it for a good price considering you'd be very hard pressed to buy one in that condition (all origional, is what it looks like).

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
The Wolff spring kit is well worth it...

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem with mine, failure to eject.

I disassembled the bolt, cleaned it up, put new extractor/ejector springs in, now it runs great. I changed out the recoil spring too.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Bass, I think I've got a spare Wolf complete spring set. Hit up the email in my profile if you want and I'd be happy to send it to you on the next USPS wagon headed south.

Posts: 10749 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
As a point of interest...found these chrono results from a buddy of mine. These were LC 30 Carbine surplus I got from the CMP.

30 Carbine LC Factory
1) 1954.0 21.2
2) 1915.0 -17.8
3) 1932.0 -0.8
4) 1934.0 1.2
5) 1929.0 -3.8

High: 1954.0
Low: 1915.0
E.S.: 39.0
Ave.: 1932.8
S.D.: 12.5

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
Bass, I think I've got a spare Wolf complete spring set. Hit up the email in my profile if you want and I'd be happy to send it to you on the next USPS wagon headed south.

Wow! Thank you...I will take you up on that. Email has been sent.

Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:

bionic: I just got a message from my email carrier and it said that my email to you had failed to deliver. A bunch of stuff and then it said...blocked. Maybe your anti-virus blocked it? Maybe send me your phone number via my email address in my profile. What do you think? I will call you. Thanks again.

The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Will do.

ETA: sent from an alternate email.

Posts: 10749 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post