SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    FN M249s
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FN M249s Login/Join 
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted
My friend bought one of these. He called me on Thursday with his plan and then sent me a picture of it today that the seller provided (a dealer in Missouri). It’ll be here next week.

It’s coming topped with a really nice ACOG too that he bought with it.

My question — how many rounds can you run through this thing consecutively before it melts? I know the barrel is really easy to change out for exhaustive use but this isn’t a military application, obviously. I’m just curious what a safe fire rate would be. Would a belt with 500 rounds be no problem while firing at a quick pace?

Posts: 5070 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Per the interwebs the sustained rate of fire of an M249 is 100 rounds per minute, and the rapid fire rate is 200 rounds per minute. If you're trying to stay on the safe side I wouldn't exceed that by a wide margin.

I'm not sure if the US Army Technical Manual (TM) is available for open source download, but if so, the no-shit answer to your question should be in there.

The one caveat I'd throw out is IIRC the civilian-spec SAW fires from a closed bolt, whereas the military FA version fires from an open bolt to help dissipate heat. That may affect the rate of fire you can put through the weapon without risking damage to the barrel or other components.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
I will bet that, as a semi auto firearm, your finger will be quite sore and tired out before you can get close to "melting" the barrel.

Plus, ammo isn't free you know, take the time to enjoy each shot rather than dumping them all down range at once.

Posts: 10831 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
My question — how many rounds can you run through this thing consecutively before it melts?
I’m just curious what a safe fire rate would be. Would a belt with 500 rounds be no problem while firing at a quick pace?

A barrel doesn't have to melt to be damaged. Throat erosion, and its resulting loss of accuracy and muzzle velocity, is what destroys most rifle barrels. Every barrel is different, but your first 500 round dump will likely produce enough throat erosion to noticeably degrade the barrel's accuracy.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a semi auto and the trigger is like working a Windex bottle, you won't hurt it.

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From the M249S Operator's Manual:

THE FIRING OF LONG SUSTAINED STRINGS OF FIRE (SUCH AS 200 ROUNDS IN 2 MINUTES) WILL CREATE A "COOK OFF" HAZARD.

-Page 13, Paragraph 8

Get spare barrels and stick to the 100 round nut sacks!

Evaluating volume of fire vs. shot placement effectiveness.

Posts: 659 | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, as a semi-auto not a huge deal. Use 100rd belts. Fire off a belt as fast as you can, then let it cool down for a few minutes.

They look cool, but I noticed the civilian retail price is like double what the Army pays for the real ones. Yikes!

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
8K+ ? Wow. I wish my toy fund was that flush!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I wanna go home
Picture of jeeperxd
posted Hide Post
You can get them for a lot less than 8K. I have one and love it.You can also get a DSA RPD for a lot less and mine runs flawless after one trip back for repair.I am not worried about the barrel in either one.

Posts: 1199 | Location: Pa | Registered: December 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post