SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ran across a sig 551a1
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ran across a sig 551a1 Login/Join 
posted
I ran across a sig 551a1 here locally. I stopped learing about the 55x line when i had to sell mine off back in 10 to move to ct, Banned by name. So i am a bit behind the times.

This said 551a1, Who made this and what would be a realistic price to pay in todays market. I will try ang get photos.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
The SIG 551-A1 was produced by SIG U.S, and is essentially a 556 configured to use the Swiss 55X mags.

Although many would prefer to own a true Swiss 55X rifle, for those who can't own one I thought the SIG 551-A1 was a reasonable compromise and a good base for a project.

Condition, accessories...the usual variables apply when trying to price one. If you happen to find one that has had Swiss components added to it it will typically command a higher price.

I haven't seen one sell in a year or two, but in the market of that time frame I'd say $1200-$1800 typical and an accessorized SBR advertised at $3000.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are asking 2400, with 5 mags no case or paperwork. I thought it was a bit high. I had not seen a 551a1, With the recent discussions, i thought i would learn a bit more.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Price strikes me as high, but if there are any extras then that might account for it. Swiss components, optics, quad rails, slings etc... mags typically run $30-$70 a pop, and if you consider that it came from the factory with at least one if not two mags, then you are probably getting no more than 3 extra mags with the deal.

On the flip side of the equation, this iteration wasn't produced for very long and so the "supply" availability is lower than on other 556 models...but even given this I'm not convinced that they have increased in value.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
551A1's go for about 1700-1900 on GB. The asking price is high by a bit, likely because the seller thinks the extra mags are worth 100+ ea (they're not). CDNN has 20rd mags for 30 ea and JDI has 30rd mags for 65 ea.

You'd be better off buying a 551 or 550 kit from JDI for $1800 and buying a lower and bolt/carrier. You'll spend about 3000 but it will be all Swiss vs. the US-made A1 which has an alloy lower.

I bought a new 551A1 with 8 mags for 1400 a couple summers back. Sold it for 1800 to get a WCA 551. A friend bought a brand new 551A1 from a shop in Fairfax last fall for 1300.

I feel like I've seen this local one for sale....mind sharing where? Might be someone I know and can work a better price.

Posts: 3079 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am in portland oregon for the summer. Local to me currently, it is a pawn shop in hillsboro oregon, the name escapes me. Atm

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
ahh, yeah. that pawn shop paid less than half for it. a lowball offer of 1500 or less would be my going in position

posted Hide Post
Given the talk about the superiority of the Swiss steel lower over the alloy 551A1 lower, it’s interesting that SAN makes a Swiss 553 alloy lower (also available at JDI), touting the weight savings over the steel lower. Seems like the Swiss have also determined that an alloy lower is a viable option.

To be honest, if you can get a 551A1 at a good price (not $2400!), I’d get that before trying to build up a gun from a Swiss upper kit and Swiss lower. You’ll just be spending a lot more money for a gun that really won’t perform better. Also, unless you build as a pistol, and keep it that way, you’ll have to deal with 922r. Finally, to be honest, I prefer the US Sig’s captive takedown pins to the Swiss removable pins.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
superiority for what though? I have both 553 lowers and 550 lowers. The alloy lowers work just fine but the steel is preferable for when you run out of stuff to shoot through it as its heavier and can double as a hammer or something. Durability is the only thing the steel has over the alloy. The weight difference is negligible.

posted Hide Post
I don’t see many people using a 55x lower as a hammer, and I haven’t heard a lot of people wishing that AR lowers were made of steel or that SCARs were inferior because of a polymer lower. If it got to that, I’d separate the upper and use the upper as a club.

My point was why people consider the steel SAN lower enough of an improvement over the alloy lower to justify the extra cost. If the answer is to “use as a hammer”, My opinion is that it’s not worth it. If SAN thought steel was the only way to go, they wouldn’t have bother also making a alloy lower for the series.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2400 for a 551a1 is robbery

-------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
I don’t see many people using a 55x lower as a hammer, and I haven’t heard a lot of people wishing that AR lowers were made of steel or that SCARs were inferior because of a polymer lower. If it got to that, I’d separate the upper and use the upper as a club.

My point was why people consider the steel SAN lower enough of an improvement over the alloy lower to justify the extra cost. If the answer is to “use as a hammer”, My opinion is that it’s not worth it. If SAN thought steel was the only way to go, they wouldn’t have bother also making a alloy lower for the series.

In my opinion, it has nothing to do with steel vs. aluminum and everything to do with manufacture by Sig Sauer USA vs. SAN/ SwissArms. I owned a SIG 556 and I own a SwissArms 751 SAPR. There is absolutely no comparison in quality between the American 556 and the Swiss produced rifles. SigSauer USA had all kinds of problems manufacturing the 556 when it first came out. They've also continued to have teething issues with other new platforms that they've put out and have a history of releasing products before they are ready for prime time. Sig USA also offers no support for the 556 rifles any longer either.

The fact of the matter is that the Swiss products are just better. The quality is superior and they are built as an exercise in quality, not built to try to hit a price point like the American version. Honestly that's why SwissArms is in trouble financially, they only make products that are labor intensive to produce and they refuse to sacrifice quality to be price competitive with some of the newer style rifles that can be produced less expensively. A Swiss produced rifle, even if produced from a separate upper and lower is simply a higher quality product than any of the 556 rifles that SigSauer USA manufactured.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lt CHEG:
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:

In my opinion, it has nothing to do with steel vs. aluminum and everything to do with manufacture by Sig Sauer USA vs. SAN/ SwissArms. I owned a SIG 556 and I own a SwissArms 751 SAPR. There is absolutely no comparison in quality between the American 556 and the Swiss produced rifles. SigSauer USA had all kinds of problems manufacturing the 556 when it first came out. They've also continued to have teething issues with other new platforms that they've put out and have a history of releasing products before they are ready for prime time. Sig USA also offers no support for the 556 rifles any longer either.

The fact of the matter is that the Swiss products are just better. The quality is superior and they are built as an exercise in quality, not built to try to hit a price point like the American version. Honestly that's why SwissArms is in trouble financially, they only make products that are labor intensive to produce and they refuse to sacrifice quality to be price competitive with some of the newer style rifles that can be produced less expensively. A Swiss produced rifle, even if produced from a separate upper and lower is simply a higher quality product than any of the 556 rifles that SigSauer USA manufactured.

I wholeheartedly agree.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2318 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
It's unfortunate that so few people have had the opportunity to get their hands on a real Swiss made beauty. They really are impressive.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
so what was the final decision?

------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Owning Swiss SiG's and US SiG's, there is no comparison to the quality and the butter smoothness of the Swiss SiG.

If I could go back and do it all over again I would have never bought a US SiG ... although my early P556 SBR would be a close runner up ... but then they don't have the same import restrictions as the long guns do ... and I don't think the later P556' compare to the early ... and definitely not the P Xi's

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5706 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I'm considering slimming down to a Swiss-made only collection now that I essentially have all the same guns in my safe or inbound to what I have for US-made. Still...if you think of the US made guns as a parts inventory, that's not a bad strategy since they're not bringing good returns in this depressed market (worth more in pieces than in whole)

posted Hide Post
I passed on this one. I have my 556R, that i like more than I ever did my 556 Patrol Swat.

Though, It is a great looking rifle.

Picture of heckler
posted Hide Post
Also one other data point to consider.. There could be other/more true swiss 550 arms in the hands of local government and police - guns which might come back on the market and be resellable. That might be the only way to get one.. unless you snag one off gunbroker etc

Posts: 227 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: April 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heckler:
Also one other data point to consider.. There could be other/more true swiss 550 arms in the hands of local government and police - guns which might come back on the market and be resellable. That might be the only way to get one.. unless you snag one off gunbroker etc

My 551 is a police/LEO trade-in ... it still shoots and handles beautifully but she's had a rough life ... I'm sure that whoever was the previous caretaker looked at it only as a tool ... which in reality it was for them, not a luxury like it is for us common folk.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5706 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post