SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Does anyone like shooting a mini better than an AR?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone like shooting a mini better than an AR? Login/Join 
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted
I have an AR, basic milspec M400 upper and lower with some mods. Problem is I really don’t like shooting it as much as I do a mini 14/30. I think it’s the straight stock and pistol grip. I have a magpul adjustable, and magpul grip.

Am I crazy for liking g the traditional rifle shouldering that the mini has? Anybody else? Is there traditional layout semiauto rifle that takes STANAG magazines?

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agreed.

I'm not even old (35) and there's just a fulfilling "cha-CHING" when racking a Mini that puts a smile on my face. I have a the black straight stocked 581 series Mini 14 and Mini 30 Tactical models. Tons of fun, and almost impossible to beat in short range matches when trying to get Alpha hits on close range targets due to the lack of bore/optic offset.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 969 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I'm with ya. I love my ranch rifle, and it is far more satisfying to shoot than any of my ARs. Just something about the balance and the way the rifle shoulders...not to mention the action design is just plain cool. My AR is more accurate...but the mini is a lot more fun.

Posts: 8531 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Can't beat shooting a M1 carbine either.

Posts: 4620 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Not here. While I enjoy an M1A, M1, etc, they have nothing on a modern AR or SCAR. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Ah ...

No.

I soured on Mini's 20+ years ago, but I'm glad some still like them!

While I do have a few AR's I typically enjoy shooting my SiG-551, 552, 553 & 556's more than my AR's even if the SiG's aren't quite as accurate ... I prefer the SiG's slight push back over the AR's muzzle rise.

Also I don't shoot 100yard targets for teeny-tiny groups on the bench as I used to in my youth; now you'll find me on the firing line ... standing with a sling mostly. I'm happy with fist sized groups at 200yard MOPP(Minute of PaperPlate) ... or we have steel gongs at 200, 250 & 300 that report with a satisfying smack when I do my part. Kneeling is difficult and prone even more so now. According to today's newspaper I have the body of a man in his mid 70's Frown

Sorry, I got to rambling, I guess you could have stopped reading after the first two words ...

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5705 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Mini-14 seems like the Garand and carbine that I grew up with, so I like it better than some of the newer guns.

Posts: 329 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am seen some Mini talk pop up on a few forums lately after not see much about them for a few years. Seems to be a mini revival going on

Posts: 123 | Registered: July 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duelist:
I am seen some Mini talk pop up on a few forums lately after not see much about them for a few years. Seems to be a mini revival going on
Likely due to the ranting ‘ban evil looking guns’ talk this year - the mini is less evil looking, so that’d be my guess why... Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do. A mini fits me better than an AR and just like the feel or balance of a mini14

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
Nope. I got rid of my Mini GB years ago. It was just nowhere near as accurate as my AR's. No matter what brand of ammo used or weight it just wouldn't group better than so-so.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
My limited experience with a Mini was that it chucked the brass about half as far as it fired the bullet. Wink Big Grin

Seriously though we were standing in the shade of a pole barn and some of the brass was landing on the roof......

It was only equipped with irons and we were shooting offhand so I can't comment on the accuracy as we were simply plinking. It has been more than 10 years and I am now firmly vested in the AR platform.

I would comment that a standard M4 carbine gassed AR with a mil-spec trigger doesn't interest me in the slightest.

All of my rifles have adjustable gas blocks (either to optimize for use with a suppressor or to optimize for competition), aftermarket triggers, and upgraded furniture. With the exception of my A1 clone.

It amused me somewhat that out of all the iterations of the Stoner rifle that have been used by the United States military, the one that I like the best is the original.

With the exception of the ease of mounting optics, most of the 'upgrades' that took place over the years were negative IMHO. Although I understand the appeal of a shorter barrel for those guys stuck getting in and out of vehicles.

That was a lot of typing to explain why I can see that someone shooting a stock m4 clone or something similar would not be particularly impressed with the platform.

It leaves a lot to be desired. A finely tuned AR on the other hand is an absolute pleasure to shoot.

Posts: 14121 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:

Nice looking rifle.

I enjoyed my Minis when I had them, but magazine finicky-ness ultimately led me to move on. I do like the feel of them, they do have something to offer for their size. The original factory folders are very nice.

There will always be a place for them, and here in MA, they are having a bit of a resurgence, as a "non AR pattern" semiautomatic rifle.

Now, if you'll allow me this indulgence:

One thing you can say about shooting a Mini over an AR, you don't have to listen to the hollow metallic "boioiing."

I have to say, that the one I liked the most was in .44mag, haven't seen one since I shot a friends years ago. That was a perfect fit.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fyimo
posted Hide Post
I had a Mini 14 and I liked the way it cycled as it just made you feel good. But I sold it when I bought my first AR-15 and the groups on the mini were twice as big as the AR-15.

That's just me but I don't like rifles that aren't accurate.

Freedom Is Not Free And Is Paid For By Our Military.
VFW Member
NRA Life Member 042722999
SWCA

Posts: 9186 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:

I have to say, that the one I liked the most was in .44mag, haven't seen one since I shot a friends years ago. That was a perfect fit.

The Deerfield .44 is a rifle I haven't thought about in years Cool

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
quote:

The Deerfield .44 is a rifle I haven't thought about in years Cool

Just for kicks, I looked on Gunborker. While I wouldn't mind owning one, apparently they're discontinued, and the two open auctions are starting at $800 and $1000...... Uh, no.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fyimo:
I had a Mini 14 and I liked the way it cycled as it just made you feel good. But I sold it when I bought my first AR-15 and the groups on the mini were twice as big as the AR-15.

That's just me but I don't like rifles that aren't accurate.

Oh yeah, my AR will do about anything better, I mean just the shooting say at 50 yards. I just like the way a mini feels. An AR is just blah to me.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wreckless:
Nope. I got rid of my Mini GB years ago. It was just nowhere near as accurate as my AR's. No matter what brand of ammo used or weight it just wouldn't group better than so-so.

Same here. I also had a Mini GB and could not get it to group better than 4 moa no matter what ammo I used. Scoped it, same results. My Ar's constantly 1 moa or better. My brothers Mini 30 was even worse 5-6 inch groups at 100 yards.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: samnev,

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Doh!
quote:
One thing you can say about shooting a Mini over an AR, you don't have to listen to the hollow metallic "boioiing."

I must be lucky, as none of my lowers produce the spring sound. Actually, one did on its first day at the range, but after some lube and maybe 100 rounds it went away. I don't have JP silent springs, either.

I have shot a couple of other people's ARs that did have the spring sound. Kind of annoying, really.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:

I have shot a couple of other people's ARs that did have the spring sound. Kind of annoying, really.

A bit of grease on the outside of the buffer spring takes it right out.

Posts: 14121 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post