SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Does anyone like shooting a mini better than an AR?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone like shooting a mini better than an AR? Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:

I have shot a couple of other people's ARs that did have the spring sound. Kind of annoying, really.

A bit of grease on the outside of the buffer spring takes it right out.
Yup. I pour some SLIP2000 EWL on my palm and run the buffer spring through it until it’s got a thin coat.

No springy sound here either.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Count me as one who has no love for the AR platform. I bought a PSA AR10 hoping a caliber change would convince me otherwise. I would happily trade the thing for a mini 14 or 30. They may not be as accurate, but I would actually enjoy shooting it.

Posts: 1150 | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like the idea of the Mini 14....unfortunately I was soured on them when I bought a new one, stainless, synthetic stock.When it was tumbling every bullet (factory loads) that I tried, and when I told Ruger about it...it just seemed to irritate them.....
Under duress...they took the gun back and "fixed it"...the bullets stopped tumbling but my groups at 25 yards were still over 10"....
I traded it for an AR and immediately was able to get 2" groups at 100yrds.
I only wish that someone other than Ruger offered the Mini.....
YMMV....

Posts: 1264 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by Duelist:
I am seen some Mini talk pop up on a few forums lately after not see much about them for a few years. Seems to be a mini revival going on
Likely due to the ranting ‘ban evil looking guns’ talk this year - the mini is less evil looking, so that’d be my guess why... Wink

I had not thought of that, but you are probably right.

Posts: 123 | Registered: July 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
In a word..... NO.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm just preparing my
impromptu remarks
posted Hide Post
Just got a Mini in Feb, and after a trip back to Ruger to get it to eject reliably, it’s a fun rifle to shoot. With irons, was shooting 2(ish)” groups at 50 yds last weekend, and there’s something very satisfying about it... I assume with an optic, it would be even more accurate, which is a nice surprise after reading so much about how inaccurate Minis are.

Posts: 331 | Location: PA | Registered: May 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that the accuracy issue may really be the sensitivity to different ammo. My new Mini-14 got five shot groups at 50 yards ranging from 3.75 inches with BH 62gr TSX to 1.25 inches with Hornady Superformance 55 gr GMX, both 5.56.

Posts: 329 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
I tend to buy my range toys based on the round.

The best 556 launcher out there seems to be the piston driven AR. Plenty of parts and easy to shoot/clean/shoot again. Got rid of the Mini and went AR. The Steyr AUG is probably a close second for that round.

The Mini 30 is a solid 762x39 launch vehicle. But I got rid of them for the milled Arsenal AK years ago. Better platform for the round.

The Minis were fun in my youth. But you have to grow up sometime.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
I like shooting both.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
I’ve always enjoyed shooting a mini gun.....Oh wrong one, sorry. Big Grin

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried the Accu-Strut on a new 16 inch barrel Mini-14? My new model 5820 groups five shots into 1.25 inches at 50 yards, but I would like to do better if possible.

Posts: 329 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I always preferred my Mini over my AR. So much so that I sold the AR. Though I just bought a couple lowers to rectify that situation/

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pony220:
Has anyone tried the Accu-Strut on a new 16 inch barrel Mini-14? My new model 5820 groups five shots into 1.25 inches at 50 yards, but I would like to do better if possible.

That's a tough call. You may do better with a strut, you may not. You're at the very outside edge of performance potential. It would also depend whether you use a single- or double-clamp model. The 2-clamper usually gives better performance, but a lot of owners prefer the shorter strut on a shorter barrel.

Unfortunately the only way to know for sure is to try it on your particular rifle. I don't even have a gut feel on how it would work.

Kevin

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Kevin. I guess I'll keep it stock for now.

If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:

I have to say, that the one I liked the most was in .44mag, haven't seen one since I shot a friends years ago. That was a perfect fit.

The Deerfield .44 is a rifle I haven't thought about in years Cool

Just for kicks, I looked on Gunborker. While I wouldn't mind owning one, apparently they're discontinued, and the two open auctions are starting at $800 and $1000...... Uh, no.

My father in law gifted me an old Ruger .44 Mag carbine a couple weeks ago. I had been trying to buy it off of him for years, but he never wanted to sell it.
I had one when I was a teen and like an idiot I sold it. Not the most accurate guns in the world, but they'll do the job inside 100 yards.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would not say I like to shoot my mini more, but I really like shooting my Mini 14.

I also have an M1 A.

Trouble is, taking the time to shoot all that you have. So much fun to have, so little time.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lugerguards
posted Hide Post
No!

I really want to like the mini platform, unfortunately I have sold both of mine.

Shawn

Nothing here to see!

Posts: 1865 | Location: Will County, Illinois | Registered: October 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find the Mini-14 much more enjoyable to shoot than the ruger .44 mag carbine. The Mini-14 has negligible recoil but the 44 carbine seems to kick more.

:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
I think it is time for Ruger to re-engineer the Mini-14 to make it more acceptable accuracy wise.

I know changes have been made to off-set the stringing/walking, they can do better.

Once this is done, Ruger would also be positioned to offer the rifle in .308 as originally intended.

Ruger re-engineered the .22 semiauto pistol time to look at the Mini-14.

I have always liked the handling of the Mini-14, it is a thoroughly enjoyable firearm within its limitations.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BillyBonesNY:
I think it is time for Ruger to re-engineer the Mini-14 to make it more acceptable accuracy wise.

I know changes have been made to off-set the stringing/walking, they can do better.

Once this is done, Ruger would also be positioned to offer the rifle in .308 as originally intended.

Ruger re-engineered the .22 semiauto pistol time to look at the Mini-14.

I have always liked the handling of the Mini-14, it is a thoroughly enjoyable firearm within its limitations.

Shoot a 181 series Mini 14 and then a brand new current production Mini 14. They have made considerable improvements.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post