SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    HK to bring back limited run of USC
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HK to bring back limited run of USC Login/Join 
posted
I just noticed on Omaha Outdoors that HK is bringing back the USC for a limited run,1,500 rifles. I remember these when they first came out and didn't think much of them then. It cost too much to convert to a UMP. I can't imagine there being an outcry for more of these. I am having a difficult time posting the link. Here is the article by Travis Pike.

"When I got the email that Heckler & Koch was bringing the USC back, I was ecstatic. There is something about German space guns that captures my soul. The USC was discontinued in 2013 and was never a big hit, and HK never made a ton of them. They weren’t precisely unobtanium, but you were going to work to get one. The USC is based on the HK UMP. The UMP has always held a special place in my heart. It’s the middle child of the HK SMG family.

The MP5 is, of course, the most famous submachine gun in existence. It’s been used by Special Forces, SWAT teams, and movie action heroes for decades. HK recently released their MP5 pistol clone, and the USC seems to be following its success. The UMP is the middle child of the family, ignored by many, and never really appreciated. The UMP came out at a time where the focus on SMGs was smaller and lighter. Being chambered in 45 ACP or 10mm meant it didn’t gain much steam. It was followed by the ultra-modern, and svelte MP7. The MP7 is the much wanted and beloved baby of the H&K SMG family.

Not that I’ve waxed poetically about my love of the UMP we can talk about the return of the USC. The USC is a rifle so it will sport a full 16-inch cold hammer forged barrel. It also uses the rather lame, but import required skeletonized stock. The gun will utilize polymer 10 round magazines, but a cursory search shows plenty of higher capacity magazines available on the aftermarket.

The gun will sport traditional UMP controls, and that means ambidextrous safety selector, a side charging handle, and paddle magazine release. What is nice is the addition of Picatinny rails. There are three rails on the forend for lights and accessories, as well as a scope rail. These are all removable so you can rock the classic UMP/USC look.

The USC is space gun grey and uses a blowback operation. Of course, it is chambered in 45 ACP and ships with two magazines. This will be a limited run, and MSRP will be $1,499. Hopefully, Heckler and Koch is dipping its toe into finally giving people what they want when it comes to HK guns. The possibilities are out there for a UMP pistol clone, imagine one with a folding brace. That would be a grail gun if I ever heard of one.

There are plenty of companies out there that do conversions on USC guns. They convert them to SBRs and add side folding stocks. These conversions give you the closest UMP you can get without an FFL and a SOT.

With HK finally making an MP5 pistol variant, and now bringing back the USC, what else will they offer? Maybe the new HK 433? A return of the SL8 for those who want to spend a fortune converting it to a G36 clone would be nice. It’s unlikely, but hey I like to dream."

Posts: 6874 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hopefully, Heckler and Koch is dipping its toe into finally giving people what they want when it comes to HK guns.

I had one of the first USCs (so early in production that I had to send it back for a factor recall on the charging handles).

I would hardly call it "giving people what they want."

What we wanted was MP5s, what we could have gotten was more HK94s, what we would have settled for was 16" UMPs, and what we got was, well, the USC Frown.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I've already got one USC converted to the UMP and would gladly pay $1500 for a new USC. In fact, I just got home from my friend's house and we shot it a few hours ago.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: remsig,

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I miss my USC with the grease gun conversion. I'd buy one.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I regret not getting one back in 2009/10. I have a kriss now and don't see myself getting one. Between the scorpian, mpx, zenith, kriss. HK was just 5 years to early for me

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Meh, decades late and way wide of the mark.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigmule
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
I miss my USC with the grease gun conversion. I'd buy one.

Yup. I think I traded a spas12 for that, converted the USC to a grease gun UMP and
traded that for two scopes, night force 5.5-22 and a leupold 1.5-5.5.

I do miss that tho. The faux shroud and all.

Posts: 2330 | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Biochemical
Superfreak
Picture of M4Super90
posted Hide Post
Why not just buy an Omega Gideon? Not much of a wait and still probably a lot cheaper than what you have to do to fix how HK screws it up to bring it to the US. Accepts UMP parts. http://www.atlanticfirearms.co...detail.html?Itemid=0

115 + 115 = 230

Posts: 3675 | Registered: April 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
^^^ I need that. I dont know why, but I do. I somehow never saw these before.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
If they are going to bring it back still looking ridiculous like the original one, no thanks.

Q

Posts: 26354 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two of them sitting in my safe.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I'm a HUGE HK fan but I never could pull the plug on one.
Costs too much to convert it to a UMP.
Don't really like it in the current form.
Think I'll just get a Kriss.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
After having and using real MP5s and UMPs, I could never buy the abominations they release to everyone. Sadly we got rid of all our subguns and went to rifles. I tried to keep one of each but they wouldn’t let me.

Lol. I tried to keep the old tommy guns too but we were offered alot of money for them.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I bought a USC an SL-8 when they first came out in 98 or 99 ... IIRC people that did conversions to the G36 were having issues with the receiver cracking then there were reports of the real G36 having receiver issues and HK was trying franticly to cover it up ... this was about the same time that the British had appropriated millions of dollars to HK to fix the SA80 bullpup that was just a bad design to begin with. They struggled but finally made it reliable. I never understood why they didn't just buy license to the AUG or Bushmaster M17 ... I guess they just wanted a Bullpup they could call their own!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kimberkid,

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5706 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
1) "Ridiculous design"- very easy to remove that piece of plastic connecting pistol grip to stock.
2) Grey color becomes black with Rit dye .
Reliable blow back design. Rail mount for holographic sight. A distant memory of a HK 54 ? Forum that Kimberkid frequented.

Posts: 2301 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If they brought the USC in as a pistol (with the ability to mount a stock or brace) and if it accepted traditional UMP magazines I would consider buying one. But I won’t spend that kind of money to then send it off to un-frack everything HK did wrong.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
1) "Ridiculous design"- very easy to remove that piece of plastic connecting pistol grip to stock.

Sure, no 922(r) problem or anything. And cutting the barrel down from 16" to 8" is easy too--just as long as you ignore the NFA.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
You are correct LDD on 922(r) compliance. The original pistol grip was maintained. New UMP stock was added. USC in original configuration contains 13 922(r) parts-regulation require ten 922(r) parts.
NFA rules apply to SBR the USC of course.

Posts: 2301 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by remsig:
I've already got one USC converted to the UMP and would gladly pay $1500 for a new USC. In fact, I just got home from my friend's house and we shot it a few hours ago.

Well crap. I should be careful what I say.

I stupidly told my friend I would buy a 2nd one if I found it for $1,500 and he texted me last night that TGS had them but to hurry. Today when I woke up I looked on TGS' website and sure enough, they were in stock.

Long story short, I picked this up on the way home from work tonight and found out I got 1 of the 2 that were shipped there this week. This will go into my gun safe and await me getting a trust and a stamp to have this SBR'd.

I didn't need to spend this money now but C'est La Vie!

quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
If they are going to bring it back still looking ridiculous like the original one, no thanks.

12131 - I agree the thumb hole stock is terrible but I'll start saving up the funds to have my new one converted to the UMP and will SBR it too.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

<SNIP>

When the 922r came out and they forced the Bush-hole stocks on us I thought/felt the same, although I was glad HK and others were making the effort.

Now, almost 30 years after the ban I don't really care ... That's just the way it is, and until we get that EO overturned, it really doesn't matter because it will never be a real UMP or G36, just a look-a-like.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5706 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post