SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AR-15 Question - Gas Tubes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR-15 Question - Gas Tubes Login/Join 
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted
Melonite gas tubes are available for AR-15s. I have the standard stainless steel gas tube on mine.

I understand that melonite is a black finish, which is potentially less reflective if any of the gas tube is exposed. I also understand melonite would make the tube more corrosion resistant.

Other that those attributes, is there any big advantage to using a melonite-coated gas tube over a standard stainless tube? Or are they just designed to lighten your wallet a little?

Melonite is a wonderful finish for many firearm parts - but gas tubes? Thanks.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10489 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've seen two gas tubes fail on AR15s. IIRC the owners stated their tubes had roughly 15k and 20k rounds on them. The 15k gun had that many rounds on the tube, the gas block, the bolt, and the barrel. IMO everything was toast and ready to fail.

The 20k gun was on its second barrel. The owner didn't change the gas tube or the gas block when he retired his first barrel, which I recall was around 11k rounds. The gas tube and the gas block failed at the same time. He mil-spec trigger failed in the following day's training.

I change out my gas tubes with every barrel change. If you shoot enough, AR15 parts wear out. Most people don't even come close to needing to change the firing pin retaining pin, which is likely the first part to go in an AR15.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Interesting question. I always assumed it was for the idea rather than any practical purpose.
But perhaps the finish makes them more durable—? I had a gas tube whose enlarged portion at the rear that fits into the gas key wore down to the same diameter as the rest of the tube. The action always got dirtier at the end, but the gun still functioned fine.

I replaced the tube when I discovered that, and then again not long later when I replaced the barrel after about 11K rounds.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2Adefender:
Melonite gas tubes are available for AR-15s. I have the standard stainless steel gas tube on mine.

I understand that melonite is a black finish, which is potentially less reflective if any of the gas tube is exposed. I also understand melonite would make the tube more corrosion resistant.

Other that those attributes, is there any big advantage to using a melonite-coated gas tube over a standard stainless tube? Or are they just designed to lighten your wallet a little?

Melonite is a wonderful finish for many firearm parts - but gas tubes? Thanks.

I think you nailed the cost-benefit analysis however, I wouldn't bring any anti-capitalism issues into the equation.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

I am all for capitalism, selling products and making profits, smshulz. I’m just trying to figure out if there is any real benefit to buying these products. That's all.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10489 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I've got one AR I built which uses a Spike's melonited gas tube. This stainless part doesn't need a coating but I like the subdued look of it in the spots where it shows through the handguard and in the gap between the upper receiver and the slip ring. I bought it for the cosmetics alone.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2Adefender:
Thanks guys.

I am all for capitalism, selling products and making profits, smschulz. I’m just trying to figure out if there is any real benefit to buying these products. That's all.

I know.
I was just saying that "Or are they just designed to lighten your wallet a little?" was going over the edge a bit.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use melonited tubes for cosmetics. If it's a black rifle it's going to be all black.

It would be possible to use a cheaper carbon steel instead of stainless and use the melonite treatment to get the corrosion resistance, but most appear to be melonited stainless.

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post