SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Sig Cross Trigger Problems
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig Cross Trigger Problems Login/Join 
Picture of Poppy6x
posted
I just watched a rather long review of the Cross 6.5 by NutNFancy where he experienced a catastrophic trigger failure. Sometimes the trigger would produce no bang, sometimes gun would fire on releasing trigger and wiggling the bolt slightly. Any way you cut it it was a serious safety issue. I’m curious to know how widespread this might be. Anyone else having problems?
I just bought one in .308 and it seemed to function fine on dryfiring. I ordered a scope and compensator and when that all comes in I’ll take it to the range. After seeing the review I’m worried that maybe I’ve made a big mistake. You know Sig’s reputation on releasing new products.

Sigs, HKs, S&Ws, Rugers, Wilsons, Nighthawks, Colts

Posts: 234 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: June 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remember the P365 striker issues were a bad lot of strikers that affected only a few percent of the early production guns.

Yet it got inflated to many many guns with people wanting striker upgrades and such even though they had no actual issues.

The Cross issue could be a fluke, a manufacturing defect, or worst case a design issue. Sample size of one is not exactly statistically valid.

On the other hand, most new products have issues that are not found in design validation testing or early production validation testing, until a large enough number are produced and get into the field.

The number of product changes that miss the start of production and are implemented at intervals over the first year of production is daunting, with my experience being the automotive industry.

In any case, Sig will fix it if there is an issue.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
We heard.

You did, however, provide a much better discussion of the problem than was ever mentioned in the other thread at its beginning.

And although I usually fully agree when someone points out the value or lack thereof of small sample sizes, for something like this a sample size of one is perfectly valid in pointing out that the gun has a serious safety issue. We know it happened once and there is no way to be certain it doesn’t affect more guns—and even one more would be unacceptable. I’m reminded of the Remington 700 trigger defects: how large a sample of people killed is sufficient for a recall?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47396 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
https://www.sigsauer.com/crossrecall

Holy Christ, this company can’t put our one new product without issues. What absolute shysters.

Posts: 9955 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
https://www.sigsauer.com/crossrecall

Holy Christ, this company can’t put our one new product without issues. What absolute shysters.

People have the wrong perception of issues like this latest one from Sig Sauer. This trigger issue is NOT a problem...

It's a symptom.

Yeah I know, all the Sig Sauer fan bois will be chiming in with the predictable "Oh, SIG will fix this then everything will be OK! You'll see." Yeah, until the next half assed product they release.

People will be saying... "Oh yeah, all manufacturers have problems..."

They'll say... "Well, I've never had a problem with MY new SIG..."

In the end, like I said... This latest thing isn't a problem. It's a symptom and very few people here will admit it and realize when they fix this latest issue, the root cause will remain... To fuck up the next new SIG product in epic proportion.

Such is the reason I NEVER recommend new SIG Sauer products to anyone I care about.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never Settle....for a firearm that works right the 1st time....

Posts: 668 | Location: NH | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
apparently a sample size of One is adequate enough for Sig to issue an immediate recall and request for all rifles to be returned. Not fun for the owners of this rifle but nobody can accuse Sig of "dragging their feet" on this. Rather unlike GM who is still delaying an adequate response to all those owners of GM vehicles with Takata airbags that still haven't been replaced.

As for Sig, kudo's for acting quickly on an obvious serious safety defect. However I would suggest that you start looking for designers with gray hair and some real experience under their belts. Because it's becoming obvious that just because some youngster can run your chosen CAD software that doesn't mean that he has the experience and vision to build a design that works as intended without flaw.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5642 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post