SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Mossberg SA-20 vs Weatherby SA-08.....opinions?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mossberg SA-20 vs Weatherby SA-08.....opinions? Login/Join 
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted
Picking up a new compact/bantam shotgun for my son. This will be in 20 gauge.

I realize that they are very similar although not identical. Do ya’ll have any opinions or experience between the two mentioned ?

0:01

Posts: 4206 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by x0225095:

I realize that they are very similar although not identical. Do ya’ll have any opinions or experience between the two mentioned ?

Ive owned 3 SA-08 20g and an SA-08 28g, by far the best "budget" auto loader out there. My son is using one this year for Turkey.

Shoot me an email if you decide to go that route, I can likely help you out.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
quote:

Ive owned 3 SA-20s and an SA-28, by far the best "budget" auto loader out there. My son is using one this year for Turkey.

Thanks.

What’s the word on shooting 7/8’s out of the Mossberg ?

That is my main concern.

Posts: 4206 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Ive owned 3 SA-20s and an SA-28, by far the best "budget" auto loader out there. My son is using one this year for Turkey.

Thanks.

What’s the word on shooting 7/8’s out of the Mossberg ?

That is my main concern.

Mistyped, meant SA-08...only handled the mossberg, never shot one. Weatherby did a great job on the SA line

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Roger that.

You like the Weatherby.

Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
I had a Mossberg SA-20 that I bought for my daughter. She preferred a Remington 870 in 20 Ga and took that one instead.

I liked the SA-20 as it was a handy little gun. I paired it with a Bushnell dot sight and it did well with slugs out to 100 yards.

The only problem it had was with the cheap Walmart low base Winchester ammo. The ammo wouldn't cycle the action far enough to extract and load a fresh round.

The manual recommended a 1 oz. load to reliably cycle the action. It worked fine with buckshot and slugs.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
My brother and I gave our father a SA-08 12 gauge for Christmas a few years ago. Mighty fine shooting and fine handling shotgun. In 20 gauge, I imagine it's even better.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xl_target:
I had a Mossberg SA-20 that I bought for my daughter. She preferred a Remington 870 in 20 Ga and took that one instead.

I liked the SA-20 as it was a handy little gun. I paired it with a Bushnell dot sight and it did well with slugs out to 100 yards.

The only problem it had was with the cheap Walmart low base Winchester ammo. The ammo wouldn't cycle the action far enough to extract and load a fresh round.

The manual recommended a 1 oz. load to reliably cycle the action. It worked fine with buckshot and slugs.

Yes....that’s what concerns me. Supposedly the new ones are better. Actually, I believe they don’t recommmend anything lighter than 15/16’s of an ounce. LOL

Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly the 12 ga. Weatherby's came with two piston rings. One for light loads and one for heavy loads.
I don't know if the same it true of the 20 ga. version.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I remember correctly the 12 ga. Weatherby's came with two piston rings. One for light loads and one for heavy loads.

Same for the 20g. I've been running thew cheap Wlmart ammo without issue.

PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That’s really good to hear.

How did you break in the gun...run heavy loads with the heavy piston ???

With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

That’s really good to hear.

How did you break in the gun...run heavy loads with the heavy piston ???

My first 20g has shot nothing but cheap Walmart ammo, 7.5 shot. The other were never broken in per se, just shot. You really have to handle one to appreciate it.

posted Hide Post
Both made in Turkey if you didn't know. Good semiautos for the price.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fundman:
Both made in Turkey if you didn't know. Good semiautos for the price.

Yup. I’ve learned that the 20’s are made in different factories but the 28’s are made in the same facility ... FWIW.

Some even say that a few components are compatible between the Weatherby and Mossberg (e.g., stocks, magazine end caps).

Thanks for the recommendation.

With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Randy Wakeman says the SA08 is the only Turkish auto he has recommended. I think hes a bit long in the tooth but the guy has shot a lot of shotguns.

PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Randy REALLY likes the “new” SA-20. I just don’t want to chance the 15/16 recommendation when my 11 year old is going to mostly shoot 7/8’s.

Don’t want the potential hassle.

posted Hide Post
I had the Weatherby 20 semi.... It would only cycle with hot loads...Buck, slug and turkey loads.

Could not get it to reliably cycle any bird loads. Sent it back to Weatherby. They polished the chamber and told me to only shoot hot loads in it.

Not very helpful, as I wanted something that
could shoot bird loads if needed....

Traded if off for an 870 and included a warning ( just described). Still have the 870 , don't miss the Weatherby .

Posts: 1272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike28w:
I had the Weatherby 20 semi.... It would only cycle with hot loads...Buck, slug and turkey loads.

Could not get it to reliably cycle any bird loads. Sent it back to Weatherby. They polished the chamber and told me to only shoot hot loads in it.

Not very helpful, as I wanted something that
could shoot bird loads if needed....

Traded if off for an 870 and included a warning ( just described). Still have the 870 , don't miss the Weatherby .

Curious....did the Weatherby not come with two gas pistons....light and heavy.....or are you saying it would only cycle using heavy loads using the light piston?

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Wonder if these are made by the same jokers as the Charles Daly 20 gauge semiauto I gave my sister around 15 years ago. It was Turkish made. It broke after very light use, and we couldn't get parts to repair it.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Got the Weatherby SA-08, 20 Gauge compact.

My 11 year old son loves it and shot lights out with it yesterday during opening day. Said the felt recoil was less than his .410 Mossberg pump he shot last year.

Ran Remington Gameloads 7/8 #8’s flawlessly.

Nice shotgun ... I recommend.