SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Best Place to get SBR Information?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Place to get SBR Information? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I think a pistol caliber carbine is better for the confines of a house. I use my SBR’d Sig MPX for such occasions.

Posts: 612 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: March 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thermonuclear Vulcan
Picture of Zebulon
posted Hide Post
EBRfan....No, truth is. I'm just a gun mutt who thinks this is a cool little rifle. I was a Shotgun/Handgun fan for decades until the Gun Masses decided that an AR Carbine was the "best" option for home defense. Taking into consideration drywall tests, Gun Magazines, tactical everything and the need for appropriate Tactical clothing that no Home Defender would be caught without. I'm not being snarky either, but I've seen trends come and go, many of which Gun Store Counter Operators, Movies, and advertising birthed. I'm the first to admit that I am clueless. I may have to settle with my Pump Guns and the next door neighbors cat be damned.....Smile If anything, I'm teachable. Speak to me, and Thanks.....Zebulon

Posts: 2761 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: November 19, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heckler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zebulon:
I want a Short Barreled AR for Home Defense...Where can I get the Best Information? I'm new at this. It's just for the House. Thank you all.....Zebulon

Something to think about in regards to using NFA weapons, such as an SBR..(and never mentioned much) is that if you indeed need one to defend your home/family, it could come back to haunt you in legal proceedings.

The lawyer representing the bad guy could utilize the existence and use of an MG, SBR or silencer as that you used overwhelming force, etc etc. i'm not a lawyer, but you get the idea. By using an SBR at home it may complicate things.

I think a remington 870 or good quality handgun would serve you better

Posts: 227 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: April 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heckler:
By using an SBR at home it may complicate things.

Bah, if he can legally possess it and he defends his family and his life with it he should not have anything to fear in the least.

Now, said item will become evidence and it may be returned in worse condition but who cares? It saved your life.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heckler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David W:
quote:
By using an SBR at home it may complicate things.

Bah, if he can legally possess it and he defends his family and his life with it he should not have anything to fear in the least.

Now, said item will become evidence and it may be returned in worse condition but who cares? It saved your life.

Yup..that's a logical argument - your family comes first whether you pick up an SBR or frying pan..

Posts: 227 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: April 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The lawyer representing the bad guy could utilize the existence and use of an MG, SBR or silencer as that you used overwhelming force, etc etc.

I think a remington 870 or good quality handgun would serve you better

Last year a guy used an AR15 in Oklahoma to defend the home from 3 intruders. IIRC it was considered justified self defense.

IIRC the AR15 was not an SBR, therefore it had a longer barrel and thus produced more muzzle energy than an SBR.

As for the "overwhelming force" concept, an AR15 can produce 2-3 times the muzzle energy of a handgun. However even reduced-recoil shotgun ammo has roughly equal muzzle energy as an AR15. Full power buckshot loads can produce 50% to 75% more muzzle energy than an average AR15 load. Using muzzle energy per shot alone, a shotgun could be considered the most likely candidate for the use of overwhelming force.

But as stated above, proper use of a device in the dire need to defend self & family generally holds up in court.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post