SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Best Place to get SBR Information?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Place to get SBR Information? Login/Join 
Thermonuclear Vulcan
Picture of Zebulon
posted
I want a Short Barreled AR for Home Defense...Where can I get the Best Information? I'm new at this. It's just for the House. Thank you all.....Zebulon

Posts: 2761 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: November 19, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you mean a NFA national firearms act short barreled rifle, with a $200 transfer tax stamp, I would skim some discussions and for sale items on the principal two boards, and then visit some class 3 dealers in your state. Another consideration is a suppressor too.

Here is a Colt 9mm SBR w a 10“ bbl.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UdEvTYVq78vHuXc33

Posts: 2558 | Location: Ark, USA | Registered: January 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What specific information are you looking for? Which gun to buy or the legalities of purchasing/owning one?

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
The ATF NFA FAQ is there to make your head hurt.

Anything rifle-based with a barrel(s) shorter than 16" *or* overall length less than 26" put you in violation of the NFA regardless of whether it never leaves your home. Welcome to gun control from 1934 intended to control Italians.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MitchbSC:
The ATF NFA FAQ is there to make your head hurt.

Anything rifle-based with a barrel(s) shorter than 16" *or* overall length less than 26" put you in violation of the NFA regardless of whether it never leaves your home, unless you register it w/ the BATFE on a Form 1/Form 4 and pay for the $200 tax stamp!.

Of course it also needs to be legal for you to possess in your State of Residence. Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8787 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thermonuclear Vulcan
Picture of Zebulon
posted Hide Post
Thank you Men....That's all I need....Zebulon

Posts: 2761 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: November 19, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look up Tar Heel State firearms. They do engraving for 35.00 if have your on lower. they do the photos and paperwork for 30.00. they make it painless. There located in Matthews North Carolina.

Posts: 1046 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
+1 on Tarheel State Firearms, they are good folks.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My suggestion is buy an AR lower get it engraved and then file the paperwork with NFA. Stick the lower in your safe and forget about it until sometime in 2019. Then you’ll get an email from the man saying you can put a less than 16 inch barrel on it.

Option B is to buy an AR pistol and enjoy. If you can get over the ergonomics and looks of the pistol brace that’s the easier option.

I’ve done both options and they both have their benefits and downsides.

Posts: 612 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: March 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth, I have an SBR and if I had to do it all over again, i'd build an AR pistol and wouldn't bother with the NFA/$200 bullshit. Whether or not that satisfies your needs as a HD gun, well that's up to you.
Good luck in your search and enjoy, SBRs/AR pistols are fun.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
For what it's worth, I have an SBR and if I had to do it all over again, i'd build an AR pistol and wouldn't bother with the NFA/$200 bullshit. Whether or not that satisfies your needs as a HD gun, well that's up to you.

A good friend of mine did the SBR process. I went the AR pistol route.

We both have suppressors and red dots on our respective firearms. His is a 300blk and mine is 5.56.

After a chance for both of us to shoot together and run each through a variety of drills, etc. He opined that he felt like the hassle, wait and expense of his SBR was not worth it and he would rather have gone AR pistol.

Compound that with the ability to take a silenced pistol across state lines with no paperwork, but paperwork is required to travel with an SBR.

I'm not here to tell anyone that they made a mistake with going SBR, but the addition of a stock doesn't gain you much considering the intended purpose of most AR-15 SBRS/Pistols.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Feel free to laugh at my hose clamps. I'm ok with it. Razz This was intended to be a budget build and it does everything I need it to do. Smile

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
Feel free to laugh at my hose clamps.

Dude -- are those Magpul's new Advanced Tactical M-Lok compatible hose clamps? Wink

Do you know if I can get them in Krytek Highlander?

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:

A good friend of mine did the SBR process. I went the AR pistol route.

We both have suppressors and red dots on our respective firearms. His is a 300blk and mine is 5.56.

After a chance for both of us to shoot together and run each through a variety of drills, etc. He opined that he felt like the hassle, wait and expense of his SBR was not worth it and he would rather have gone AR pistol.

Compound that with the ability to take a silenced pistol across state lines with no paperwork, but paperwork is required to travel with an SBR.

I'm not here to tell anyone that they made a mistake with going SBR, but the addition of a stock doesn't gain you much considering the intended purpose of most AR-15 SBRS/Pistols.

I am the complete opposite I have 6 SBR’s the last 3 all started as pistols with braces while the form 1’s were pending. All 3 felt like crap compared to a real stock. For me it’s not worth the compromise of using a inferior brace vs doing a form 1 and getting a real stock that works. But I also realize that the fact I have been doing form 1 and 4’s since 95 makes me not really care about the time for it to clear . There is no hassle to me.

Posts: 633 | Location: PHILADELPHIA,PA,USA | Registered: October 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Feel free to laugh at my hose clamps.

Dude -- are those Magpul's new Advanced Tactical M-Lok compatible hose clamps? Wink

Do you know if I can get them in Krytek Highlander?

Wink

They are only available in overt stainless. Razz

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KML:

I am the complete opposite I have 6 SBR’s the last 3 all started as pistols with braces while the form 1’s were pending. All 3 felt like crap compared to a real stock. For me it’s not worth the compromise of using a inferior brace vs doing a form 1 and getting a real stock that works. But I also realize that the fact I have been doing form 1 and 4’s since 95 makes me not really care about the time for it to clear . There is no hassle to me.

I wouldn't disagree. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer, other than that silencers are awesome and they are more awesome on shorter barrels for many uses.

Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I agree with KML, once the stock went on they just felt right. I have pistols for crossing state lines but they don't compare IMO.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David W:
I agree with KML, once the stock went on they just felt right. I have pistols for crossing state lines but they don't compare IMO.

I was in this group until the pistol brace market exploded. I had an early SB15 that I used on my SBR while the SBR paperwork was processing. It was ok but I found it to be cumbersome. Some of the newer stocks are slimmer and more "stock"ish. I'll build another pistol one day soon, but I doubt i'll have another SBR. Maybe it's easier for me to say that having done the SBR and having one in my possession.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thermonuclear Vulcan
Picture of Zebulon
posted Hide Post
OK.....Here's the deal. I'm looking at an
LMT DEFENDER 2000 10.5" 5.56MM NATO SBR - NFA ITEM for two reasons. My AR's have long ago been sold because it was inconvenient to find a range where I could enjoy them. Now I want only one rifle for HD. My choice is based PURELY on the Cool factor....I appreciate all the wise advice I get here....You Guys are the best.....Zebulon

posted Hide Post
Don’t take this the wrong way, but have you shot an SBR AR in 5.56mm indoors? They are ungodly loud, with a big fireball, and with fairly crappy terminal ballistics. If you want it in .300 BLK, ok, but understand that how cool it looks does not necessarily make for a good HD weapon in 5.56mm. I have 5.56mm SBRs and PSBs for fun, but my HD 5.56mm is a suppressed Tavor. Still fairly loud, but relatively compact and with much better ballistics....

Posts: 1283 | Location: TX | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post