SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Marlin 1894CST and the XS Sight Rail
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin 1894CST and the XS Sight Rail Login/Join 
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted
Does anyone know if I can get away with JUST the rail? Or do I need to get the entire rail "system"?
Are the sights different heights?

I emailed their support and got the replay back that I *MIGHT* need a new front sight, but to try just the rail first. I'd rather just make one order and be done with it.

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
You're looking at the "Lever rail" (I guess that's what they're still calling it, I haven't looked)... the rail with the small XS peep on top of it? You're raising the rear sight up a lot higher than the factory sight, so there's a good chance you might need a higher front sight. Of course there's lots of variables (bullet weight, how your gun shoots, what height rear blade you're using now) So a definite maybe, leaning towards probably.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cas, thanks for the reply.
Yeah, that’s kinda what I’m up against. I plan to mainly use some type of dot/reflex/holographic sight. But I’d like to keep the ghost ring sights operable.
I think I’ll just order the rail and see what happens.
BTW:i mainly shoot 158gr 357 magnum. With the occasional 158gr 38spcl when using the suppressor.

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
if you are just looking to add a peep sight and a scope mount on the marlin, I suggest you look at skinner sights. you would be limited to a standard weaver mount and conventional scope, I believe. It does look a lot nicer then the picatinny xs rail, if you like simple clean lines.

ken

Posts: 1049 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Going with the Skinner doesn't assure not needing a higher front sight either.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a rule of thumb, buy a new front sight with a height of .450 or .500. This should get you in the ball park depending on what aftermarket sight you are using. Try the OEM front sight first and go up.
The main advantage of a lever rail (IMHO) is the ability to mount red dots or long eye relief scout type scopes.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The XS "System" is a rear ghost ring and an straight front sight.
The CST came with an XS style setup from the factory (rear ghost ring, front blade).
In fact, they are billed as XS Ghost ring sights from the factory.
The height of the factory sights (front and rear) v the ones that come with the rail from XS are what is in question.

I think i'll take the suggestions mentioned and start with the rail then go from there.
Heck, I haven't even seen where the factory sights shoot yet.

Actually, I just saw they have a "Scout Rail" available. It only uses the two screws on the front of the receiver and the jack screw in the barrel dovetail.