SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Sig MPX 9mm pistol brace vs AR15 5.56 14.5" for home defense.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig MPX 9mm pistol brace vs AR15 5.56 14.5" for home defense. Login/Join 
Picture of Amurr
posted
Main HD weapon: (after a your basic 9mm handgun and daily CCW)

Why only these two choices.
A. Neither requires an SBR stamp
B. Not interested in 5.56 SBR right now given A above and increased concussion from shorter narrow in a 5.56
C. Not trying to mess around with 300BO just keeping it two basic simple options. They come in at similar cost and both represent basic bread and butter packages in two of the most common calibers worldwide.
D. A silencer is an option down the road but not in play right now. (No travel restrictions like an SBR no need to apply and wait for a stamp now)
E. Not concerned about spare parts/ability to upgrade in the future etc.

Benefits of MPX:
- 9mm ammo across the board for your daily drivers (two main pistols and the MPX subgun). Buy lot of good 9mm SD and range ammo. It's cheap available and can stock it deep. Very simple supply chain.
-increased handiness, storage for travel and lower recoil for inside work.
-still a force multiplier vs the basic handgun when considering slightly longer barrels effects on ballistics and increased shotability with solid non reciprocating red dot and pistol brace's abilities
-maintains a very handy package with minimual concussion (comparitivly) with something like an omega 9k and 147gr HST (compared to make a 14.5" Closer to 20"s)

Benefits of 14.5" 5.56 AR:
-Ballistically Superior
-wider performance envelope should the need ever arise

Part of me thinks the MPX is simpler, easier and perhaps better suited to the rare chance I need to engage in a force on force encounter in my home. Especially considering I don't seem to be motivated to go SBR 5.56/300bo and have not even committed to a suppressor at this time. (Which is where the new caliber seems to outweigh an negatives SBR suppressd now migrates the benefts of the 9mm subgun)

Have at it ladies and gentlemen.....

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I have both an MPX and a <16" AR. And have both near my bed. Id go for either in a defensive situation.

ARs, regardless of barrel length, are loud indoors. And if/when a suppressor comes into play, 9mm is much easier to suppress to hearing-safe and isnt as loud even with super-sonic ammo.

Overpenetration in a home defense situation is something to look at. I live in a basement, so not an issue here.

My wife or kids would be more comfortable with the MPX, so id probably take the AR pistol and let the wife use the MPX.

You cant go wrong, really. But i think from your lists - go with the MPX.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you own an AR? If not, the AR no question. Everyone should have at least 1.

I think the AR loudness issue is overblown, I've looked at db numbers for different firearm types, they are within a couple and can swing either way depending on the particular gun and ammo. The 5.56 also penetrates less and is way more effective in terms of terminal performance. 5.56/.223 ammo isn't hard to find nor much more expensive than 9mm.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
- 9mm ammo across the board for your daily drivers (two main pistols and the MPX subgun). Buy lot of good 9mm SD and range ammo. It's cheap available and can stock it deep. Very simple supply chain.
-still a force multiplier vs the basic handgun when considering slightly longer barrels effects on ballistics and increased shotability with solid non reciprocating red dot and pistol brace's abilities
-maintains a very handy package with minimual concussion (comparitivly) with something like an omega 9k and 147gr HST (compared to make a 14.5" Closer to 20"s)

When factoring that I'll be using this when my life is on the line, none of these things matter:

This matters:
-Ballistically Superior
-wider performance envelope should the need ever arise

That being said, when considering a general purchase I take ammo type and secondary "pros" into consideration. For home defense it becomes very specific. Reliability, lethality and capacity. If all of those were equal bewtween my selected choices I would start to look at secondary benefits.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post