SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Best spring kit for M1 carbine
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best spring kit for M1 carbine Login/Join 
Devil's Advocate
Picture of Holger Danske
posted
My inherited M1 carbine is having trouble with case ejection, so I figure it's time for a spring change (I don't know that's it ever had one), and while I'm at it, I may as well do the whole thing, the major ones at least. My Garand is probably due as well.

I've searched online, but each kit has its supporters and detractors, so I'd appreciate some input from the actual users here who seem to know what they're talking about.

Also, what's a good, easy-to-follow reference book for the mechanically impaired.

Thanks.

________
Homo sum: humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 1080 | Location: Baton Rouge | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
USGI springs would be preferable. You can still get new-old-stock USGI carbine springs various places online.

I would also be confident in using Wolff springs, if you can't find the USGI springs you need.

As for simple reference books, get Larry Ruth's "M1 Carbine Owner's Guide": https://www.gunsprings.com/ind...e=items&cID=2&mID=98

There are also a number of good YouTube videos and online tutorials for M1 Carbine field-stripping and disassembly available for free, like this step-by-step pictorial over at the CMP: http://thecmp.org/wp-content/u...rbinedisassembly.pdf

However, if you're that mechanically impaired, you might not want to try doing the smaller springs yourself, like the ejector/extractor/hammer/trigger/sear/safety/magazine catch springs. Disassembling and reassembling the trigger housing assembly and bolt can be a bit tricky, and the bolt needs a special tool. They're certainly doable, but might be above your skill level... Depending on just how mechanically impaired you are, you might need to get help from a mechanically-inclined friend or a local gunsmith.

However, swapping the recoil spring and magazine springs are simple, even for those who aren't mechanically inclined.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
you may start with just a simple recoil spring change, and also take the bolt out, hose it with kroil, or some other cleaner type, lightly lube and shoot,

if that does not fix, a bolt tool is cheap, or shoot me an email , I think I have a spare I can mail you (as a loaner, please return) if needed

if it is just ejection issues, I would not worry about the springs in the trigger pak

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Pack rat collectables is where I secured new main spring for M 1 plus several other parts
and I think ammo Garand is the same joint.

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devil's Advocate
Picture of Holger Danske
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the delayed response, but thanks for the ideas. Our fourth boy just arrived, so things have been a little chaotic (doing this again at 53 is a little more challenging that I was anticipating). Since my regular activities are going to be curtailed for a while, I'm going to try to take this time to really learn my M1 carbine, M1 Garand, and the '03A3 Springfield.

________
Homo sum: humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 1080 | Location: Baton Rouge | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I've used the Orion 7 op rod springs for my Garands and they are excellent. Lookes like they have some NOS springs for the carbine too.

http://www.m1garand.com/store/m1_carbine_parts.html

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post