SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Bought a Polymer lower
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bought a Polymer lower Login/Join 
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted
Local gun show had a dealer selling lowers. One lower was polymer,price tag, $25. Its FDE in color so why not.

Now I have a 20”
A 16” and a AR pistol.

I’m not exactly sure what to do with this one

Ideas anyone

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7903 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
16" .22LR.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
16" .22LR.

Yep, for a polymer lower this would be my suggestion as well.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thawed out,
thrown out
posted Hide Post
I've heard about polymer lowers breaking. Is that an internet rumor or is that a real concern?

Posts: 124 | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
More of a concern than an aluminum receiver. (And those can break/wear out too.)

But still not really a concern to the average casual user.

I wouldn't use one on a serious defensive rifle, for a rifle destined for heavy use/abuse, or for something that you're planning to put a tax stamp on, but they're fine for a cheap plinker/deer stand rifle/once-every-few-months range gun/etc.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I'd caution against any hard use. I've heard of people breaking them during assembly. Monkey fisting on barrel nuts or putting strain on where the buffer tube screws in.

I'd probably only use for 22lr. If for center fire I'd expect it to break eventually.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8849 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
The GWACS lowers are pretty robust.

The polymer lowers that are dimensionally identical to aluminum often break where the receiver extension threads in.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
I think I might try a 7.62x39 build.

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7903 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I bought a New Frontier Polymer lower to make up my own mind.
It worked well but I realized, like others, it would be best suited for a Polymer 22lr dedicated upper.
So I picked up a Chiappa Upper & it's been making cans dance ever since.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I built my ATI polymer lower as a pistol lower to house short lowers while I waited for my SBR stamps.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:
I bought a New Frontier Polymer lower to make up my own mind.
It worked well but I realized, like others, it would be best suited for a Polymer 22lr dedicated upper.
So I picked up a Chiappa Upper & it's been making cans dance ever since.

did the same with a US ARms complete poly lower,

did change out the FCG since the plastic hammer and trigger sucked

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Chiappa .22 on a New Frontier polymer lower here as well.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Happened to the guy in the lane next to me. Scared the crap out of me.... I don't remember if he was using reloads

Posts: 436 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't see a maker mentioned in the op, so it's hard to look up a track record for the manufacturer. I'd put together a 16" light weight build on it.

Posts: 4587 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
My FIL has one of the New Frontier ones...I'm not a huge fan, but I must admit, it's worked...so far. Moving parts seem to bind on it a little bit, and don't snap into place as positively as I'm accustomed to with an alloy lower. For what Anderson lowers are going for right now, I don't see any reason to buy a polymer lower....in fact I recommended that he pick up an Anderson and we'd swap the parts out.

Posts: 8567 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCFD4:

Happened to the guy in the lane next to me. Scared the crap out of me.... I don't remember if he was using reloads

This looks like an FMK lower.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2191 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup, that's where they break, the weak area that gets high stress wher the RE attaches. It isn't about the recoil so much, but the stresses placed on the stock transmitted to that area (lots of leverage on the stock).

Not all polymer lowers are alike though, the TN Arms brand has this area reinforced as well as some I believe brass inserts.

I'd do a lightweight .22lr build. 16" pencil barrel, LW upper with no FA or dust cover etc.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
hope that dude (and everyone else near him)were all ok,

friend put a standard 556 upper on his USArms and put a few hundred rounds thru it,
no issues,

I , at the time, had plenty of standard lowers and guns built, so just kept one for myself and put the inexpensive 22 upper on it,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks to me, IMHO, that it is a total waste of time to try same, when you can get a 7075 lower for $30. Plastic breaks.

Posts: 971 | Registered: January 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The magwell completely disintegrated. There were pieces of plastic embedded into the wood below... Could've caused some serious injuries

Posts: 436 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post