SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Browning SA22 LR from 1975
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning SA22 LR from 1975 Login/Join 
Picture of got2hav1
posted
Picked up this little sweetheart today. In very good condition a grade 1 I believe. Bluing is great and so is the wood. Can't wait to shoot it .

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2745 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I had one of those back in my "collecting 'just because'" phase. IIRC it was Japanese, by Miroku. Be careful of the positioning of your support arm, or wear a long-sleeved shirt. The straight downward ejection bounces cases off your arm. Other than that, yes, it was a sweetheart.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I had one of those back in my "collecting 'just because'" phase. IIRC it was Japanese, by Miroku. Be careful of the positioning of your support arm, or wear a long-sleeved shirt. The straight downward ejection bounces cases off your arm. Other than that, yes, it was a sweetheart.

I will watch that, might be OK for me since I shoot left handed most autos throw the empties close to my face.

Posts: 2745 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I love that! I don't have one but will - one day. I love .22s that were designed to be .22s from the ground up, and not made to look like something else. What a svelte little rifle. My highest praise. Congrats.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
I love that! I don't have one but will - one day. I love .22s that were designed to be .22s from the ground up, and not made to look like something else. What a svelte little rifle. My highest praise. Congrats.

It handles great. I agree with you on the design. JMB design so not surprising. The man was a firearms genius. Smile

Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
The SA22 is an elegant little gem of a rifle. I have a Belgium made wheel sight model from 1958 that I absolutely love. It will even cycle CCI Quiet rounds. It is one of my favorite guns to shoot, and makes for an excellent companion for a stroll through the woods. Congratulations, you have something that is rather special.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 884 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I could swear the one I had was a "takedown," by turning a little wheel in front of the receiver. I may be misremembering it. This one doesn't appear to have it.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I could swear the one I had was a "takedown," by turning a little wheel in front of the receiver. I may be misremembering it. This one doesn't appear to have it.

I believe that it is- look at pic 3; you can make out the knurled ring.

It was such a sweet little rifle that Norinco copied it (ATD). They are also fairly collectible.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
It was such a sweet little rifle that Norinco copied it (ATD). They are also fairly collectible.

I've owned several of the Norinco versions over the years. They actually shot better than the Brownings I've owned, but the fit and finish were a shadow of the Browning. Some of the Norico guns were tough to load and all had cheap soft wood for the stocks. I had one crack on me and saw a couple of others crack that buddies owned. But for less than $100 at the time, they were a still a bargain.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
I believe that it is- look at pic 3; you can make out the knurled ring.

I think you're right. Smile I haven't owned that gun since 2008.

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
yes, you can take them all down. I have a Belgian one, 1968 I believe, that is kind of a beater but I paid beater money for it right before my first son was born (he's 6.) It's a wheel sight model but the wheel sight had been lost and replaced. That is an almost impossible part to source nowadays.

They're the best 22LR I've ever played with and I'm a big Browning fan anyways. 10 round mag dumps make me smile like almost no other gun I own.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
another happy wheel sight model owner,

so happy I have 2, ,

great light little 22's, that are quite accurate

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I have an early Japanese one. It was my dad's squirrel hunting rifle.

Beautiful little rifle, very reliable unless it's absolutely filthy, pretty accurate. All in all, a great little .22.

My only complaint is the clunky loading mechanism, but it works fine and is a pretty common method.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
Thanks for looking in guys . And yes they are all take down models. Look forward to shooting some this weekend. I think '74 was the first year for Miroku manufacture.

posted Hide Post
I have a Belgian 1969. I always thought it was one of the most beautiful, elegant weapons made, almost a work of art from the master JMB. It's also a tack driver.

Posts: 238 | Registered: March 11, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
My late '60's era Belgian Browning. A fun little .22 with reasonable accuracy.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:

I could afford the Browning and got my ATD for about $90. I've thought about upgrading the wood on occasion but never got around to it. It's in the cabinet next to the Weatherby Mark XXII and CZ 452.

Have they really become collectable?

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a late 50s wheel sight model as well. Not in love with that knurled knob To tighten the barrel but works good enough.

Posts: 4736 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Mine is much more recent (mid 2010s), so it's lacking the patina of a lifetime's worth of use. But I'm working on it, for as long as I can.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
yes, you can take them all down. I have a Belgian one, 1968 I believe, that is kind of a beater but I paid beater money for it right before my first son was born (he's 6.) It's a wheel sight model but the wheel sight had been lost and replaced. That is an almost impossible part to source nowadays.

They're the best 22LR I've ever played with and I'm a big Browning fan anyways. 10 round mag dumps make me smile like almost no other gun I own.

1968 should not have had the "wheel" rear sight. Serial number for 1968 model will be on bottom or barrel in front of forearm. Will start with 8TXXXX, 8 meaning year 1968 (7-1967, 6-1966, etc) and T for long rifle. Wheel sight models should have serial number on a plate on rear of buttstock where loading rod goes in.

Posts: 263 | Location: Weatherford, TX | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post