SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Anyone have experience with the Browning BLR?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have experience with the Browning BLR? Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
LGS has 3 stainless BLR takedowns they are in .308, .30-06 and .300 Win Mag. I find myself strangely attracted to them. They are drilled and tapped for scope mounts on both the receiver and barrel. On one hand thinking they make a practical, "Alaska" rifle. On the other hand thinking I've already got a Marlin Guide Gun in .45-70 as my, "Alaska" rifle and it is lighter and quicker handling especially if the BLR has a scope mounted.

Then I start to think I've always wanted to play around with a rifle with a forward mounted scout scope...

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know anything about forward mounting scopes on them, but have had a BLR before. They are nice guns, with the one drawback being a somewhat mushy trigger that takes a knowledgeable gunsmith to improve. They shoot well, and have the benefit of strength to handle modern cartridges, with the magazine feed to allow modern bullet designs, too.

Posts: 67 | Registered: May 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had one for awhile and loved it. The action was like butter and a very accurate gun.

Jim

Posts: 1338 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
If it's the full-power chambering more than the scout cope that you're interested in, Henry also offers lever rifles in similar calibers in their "Long Ranger" line.

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/the-long-ranger/

As did Savage with their now-discontinued Model 99.

(Plus a few other even older models of full-power lever rifles, like Winchester 1895.)

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
So now we're comparing Henry with genuine Browning? Not a game anyone should play. First thing, discover when it was made (and by who). Yeah, I've got a .30-06. Wish it was a 7mm.

On your choices, 3 .30 cals. Buy the -06 or the maggie. Why buy an under powered .308? Well, unless you have a shitton of ammo, or some other obscure reason.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
If it's the full-power chambering more than the scout cope that you're interested in, Henry also offers lever rifles in similar calibers in their "Long Ranger" line.

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/the-long-ranger/

As did Savage with their now-discontinued Model 99.

(Plus a few other even older models of full-power lever rifles, like Winchester 1895.)

I've not shot one, but have sold a handful, and had to send a couple back for warranty work (poor QC)

one went back 3x's...

they look like and feel like a bad BLR clone,

listen to rburg, he is on the money

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be careful if considering buying a used one. The original style with the magazine that slightly extends from the bottom of the receiver. A replacement magazine for this version is very hard to find and pricey if you locate one.

Posts: 80 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: May 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbrng9mm:
Be careful if considering buying a used one. The original style with the magazine that slightly extends from the bottom of the receiver. A replacement magazine for this version is very hard to find and pricey if you locate one.

I think that is the BLR 81 (or called similar)

and yes, those mags are in the 3 digits sometimes

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Are you guys taking about a modern BLR with the aluminum receiver, or an older model with the steel receiver ? I used to like the old steel BLR in 358 Winchester, but never sprung for one. What a great North American heavy game brush gun that would have been.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post