SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    DDM4ISR w/ 208gr AMAX
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DDM4ISR w/ 208gr AMAX Login/Join 
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted
Seeing a lot of unburnt powder on the BCG, trigger group and even the buffer.

This is using Hornady 208gr AMAX in 300 BO.

New to suppressed rifles and wasn't expecting this.

Is it unusual?

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1930 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Not sure about unburnt powder, but suppressed ARs push a lot of carbon / fouling back into the BCG, brass, top of the magazines, etc - excite amounts depends on the load, the weapon (how it’s gassed) and the suppressor, but it’s common.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+1 to Rhinoswo's comments. All DI AR systems blow a bunch of burnt powder back into the BCG area, and it's worse with a suppressor. Carbon fouling is just part of the beast.

IMO this is a primary reason people like piston systems, especially with cans.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redrider1596
posted Hide Post
Could be a filler and not unburnt powder. My 300 is covered with yellow specks all over the inside of the upper and lower. Been working through a case of S&B subs.

Posts: 321 | Location: Rio Grande Valley, TX | Registered: March 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
What's the velocity of the 208's in a .300 BO ? Just wondering.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redrider1596:
yellow specks

I don’t believe the load uses any sort of case filler. The natural color of smokeless powder is a sort of translucent yellow. It’s turned black by the graphite or other coatings that help it flow and meter properly.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redhookbklyn:
Seeing a lot of unburnt powder on the BCG, trigger group and even the buffer.

This is using Hornady 208gr AMAX in 300 BO.

New to suppressed rifles and wasn't expecting this.

Is it unusual?

Nope.. not unusual at all.

Pistol length gas system, suppressed.... normal. Stay on top of maintenance/cleaning of the entire rifle and baffle/tube.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
It is yellow in color.

Thanks all, appreciate the replies.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."

Posts: 1930 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
My 10" 300 BLK runs the 208, very accurate under 10.6 gr of 1680. Dirty yes, suppressed no powder left that didn't burn up. Head space a bit loose could maybe be the issue.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:

1020fps muzzle, 16" barrel, per Hornady.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redhookbklyn:
quote:

1020fps muzzle, 16" barrel, per Hornady.

It appears the DDM4ISR has a 9" barrel and a suppressor. Figure the suppressor's effectively adding an inch or so to the barrel length for MV. Assuming 1020 fps in a 16" barrel, the DDM4 barrel likely produces MV of 940-970 fps. In theory.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:

From my ~17 inch T/C Contender barrel the 208 grain A-MAX load averaged 1036 fps muzzle velocity (a very limited sample of five rounds).

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
My only experience with short barreled 300 BLK is shooting one that a friend owns.

I didn't notice any unburnt powder with subs from his but I didn't clean it afterwards either.

8" with a SiCo Omega.

My 11.5" 5.56 pistol with a silencer doesn't exhibit any more fouling than the 16" 5.56 with silencer.

300 Blk is a different animal though so it wouldn't surprise me to see it behave differently.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post