SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Help with Scar 16 optic choice.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with Scar 16 optic choice. Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
I know we have a lot of these type threads. But mine is for a Scar 16. Want to keep light weight. Be able to hit an 18" target at 300 yds with good accuracy.

But also engage close targets with ease as well. Do I need magnification or will a red dot do? I do not want a magnifier.

I am good with or with illumination.

Would like suggestions under $400 and then ones under $800.

Nothing chicom or other third world built optics plz.

Thanks guys.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aimpoint Pro, used Aimpoint Micro, used ACOG TA44 1.5x16. I think the SCAR 16 is a PIG for what it is. I had a TA-11 on mine which made it more of a pig...lol.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
A red dot will work at distance if you have the skills for it, bubba who shoots once a year is not going to have a very high % of hit at that distance.

Under $400 - used Aimpoints: T1,Pro etc. will be hard to find any non Chinese LPVO this cheap.

under $800 - New/used Aimpoint T2, this price point is where LPVO will come into play. Vortex PST GenII 1-6, Steiner 1-4, some of the Leupolds.

If my SCAR had a 16" bbl I would pick a LPVO and raise my budget some and look for a Vortex Razor 1-6 or Nightforce 1-4 (much lighter than the Vortex and might be the first choice since the SCAR is already heavy) but my SCAR is a 10" and it has a T1 on it and if I could I would upgrade it to a T2.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3642 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
An 18" target at 300 yards is equivalent to a 6 inch target at 100. With a target that size marksmanship is only part of the requirement to hit it, but it is a critical factor. I’ve seen shooters who couldn’t hit a 6" circle with every shot at 50 yards when shooting from a bench rest.

The other major factors include the type of target, the characteristics of the sight, and the shooter’s eyesight. A shooter with good eyesight should have no problem seeing an 18" circle at 300 yards—if it’s a nice solid color that contrasts with the background. That’s why solid white is so popular for steel targets, except in a snowy winter setting, of course. If it’s a steel plate, however, and been hit multiple times, then the target with its blotchy gray pattern due to the lead and bare steel being exposed often becomes much more difficult to see clearly to obtain a good sight picture.

But being able to see the target clearly isn’t the only possible issue. Many of us suffer from astigmatism that doesn’t become apparent until we’re using a nonmagnifying sight with an illuminated reticle, such as the common Aimpoints. I don’t know how the degree of my astigmatism compares with other people’s, but it is bad enough that it makes engaging a 4×6" target at 50 yards with an Aimpoint an exercise in concentration. Doing that at 100 yards would be tough. I really like my Aimpoints except for that fact; I really wish the dot was as sharp and clear as it appears when I take a photo of it.

If I were planning to use a rifle capable of designated marksman level precision at several hundred yard distances, I would strongly lean toward a low powered variable magnification riflescope, but that should be given thought as well. Both a friend and I had ARs capable of good precision and originally mounted 1-6× scopes on them. When using them to engage the smaller targets at longer distances they were capable of, though, we both concluded that a maximum of 6 power was really not very satisfactory. I switched to a 3.6-18× scope on my rifle and am much more satisfied with it. It isn’t, of course, ideal for targets across the living room, but I have other guns for such purposes.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Try an Aimpoint H1 if you can find one. Try shooting your desired target at 300. If you can't hit it reliably, add a magnifier.

IMO

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3209 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm going to place my LPVO - Vortex HD G3 1X10 on my Scar 17. I have it mounted on a Scalerworks Leap mount.

Posts: 1451 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, appreciate it.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
The new Trijicon Credo HX 1-6x with Red LED dot appears to be a winner. The new LED dot is much brighter than past Trijicon LPVO illuminated reticles.

It's $600 cheaper and 3oz lighter than the Vortex Razor HD-E 1-6x. I have several Trijicon Accupoint and Accupower scopes and their glass/quality has always been excellent. I currently have an Accupower 1-4x on a SCAR 16S and will probably upgrade to this Credo HX 1-6x eventually.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Trij...0mm-Satin-Black.aspx

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post