SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Anyone use a battle/war belt?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone use a battle/war belt? Login/Join 
With bad intent
posted
Kind of in the market but having a hard time finding something that checks all the boxes for me.

Primary requirements are that its low profile, doesn't require the use of a velcro inner belt. I'm starting to see that I may end up having to buy 2 separate systems as that dont seem to be very prevalent. I've seen the HSGI Suregrip but it also bulky, the HTC LowVis is high on my list but requires the velcro inner belt which reduces the speed in which it can be put on.

Any recommendations?

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
You may already be familiar with it, but I have this High Speed Gear belt. If doing it over again, I’d probably get one that doesn’t feed the fastening belt through the channel. That design is probably better for attaching a lot of stuff, but for my purposes I’d like the convenience of having the fastening belt mostly on the outside where it would be easier to attach and adjust. Feeding the belt through the channel was difficult.

The “Sure Grip” rubber lining on the inner surface holds well and doesn’t require a separately-donned Velcro belt to attach to in my experience. If necessary, suspenders can be used with it. That belt is bulky, but it can be put on quickly and easily with any undergarment.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47364 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
Any belt that will be worn over the top of your pants will need some sort of grippy pad to keep the thing in place. HSGI makes a low profile sure grip pad that attaches via Velcro and works pretty well, but all over the top belt systems ride up, but are fast to don. The other option is suspenders, which are more forgiving of fit if you’re naked.

As for belt systems; I really love my Snake Eater Tactical battle belt set up.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2223 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
As a “grab and go” belt, I have a HSGI Duty-Grip padded belt. Low profile, light weight and the fastening belt is on the outside fed through belt loops. I prefer the belt mounted HSGI pouches as they are easier to move or swap (rifle pouches or shotshell pouches). There is a mollie section at the center rear of the Duty-Grip where I have my mollie Bleeder/Blowout pouch.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1321 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Understand that neither a battle belt nor any other kind of gear setup is going to be all that "low profile". Some are lower than others, but all be at least somewhat bulky and will stand out, especially with various pouches and holsters on it. They're at least as bulky as a LEO duty belt, with many being even more bulky due to large pouches and drop/offset holsters. You're not going to carry a battle belt concealed for your trip to the grocery store. Wink

What are you planning to use it for?

Is this something that's going to be worn for long stretches (such as classes or long tactical callouts), or just something to grab and don quickly for emergencies/bumps in the night?

For the latter, you should also consider something over-the-shoulder, like a bandoleer, satchel, or modified single-strap chest rig. They can be donned just as quick (or quicker) than a belt, don't ride up or require Velcro or grippy pads to stay in place, and can be worn with a wider variety of other setups underneath (handy not for LEOs or others with duty belts or holsters on already, but also for semi-dressed home defenders, folks wearing winter coats, etc.).

The downside is that they're less comfortable than belts, carriers, or full chest rigs, with all the weight being held by one shoulder, so they're less ideal for wearing for long stretches. And they typically hold a bit less stuff than a full chest rig, carrier, or potentially a battle belt, although that does help keep weight down.

For example, I have a OSOE Micro rig, setup with one shoulder strap so that it hangs more like a satchel, that I use for these purposes. It allows me to carry up to 4x AR mags, IFAK, TQ, light, cuffs, knife, compact handgun, and 2x handgun mags in a relatively small self-contained package that's very quick to toss over one shoulder and go.

(I have another similar OSOE Micro setup for shotgun, although that sees basically no use these days.)

Posts: 32417 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
In my head it will be a grab and go solution that can double for training classes.

My current setup is a chest rig that can be run as a bandolier or used as a standard chest rig. At this point im just trying out different options between my plate carriers, chest rigs etc. I haven tried a belt setup yet outside of my Wilderness belt with primarily my CCW gear.

I don't need it to be CCW discretion level, just something less obvious than my carrier when wearing a light jacket or windbreaker, slightly oversized on purpose for this reason.

I would say comfort is less of a priority to me.

Perhaps I need to consider to just switching my EDC belt to a velcro belt.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

For example, I have a OSOE Micro rig, setup with one shoulder strap so that it hangs more like a satchel, that I use for these purposes. It allows me to carry up to 4x AR mags, IFAK, TQ, light, cuffs, knife, compact handgun, and 2x handgun mags in a relatively small self-contained package that's very quick to toss over one shoulder and go.

)

Basically, the setup im using now.

Was just moving gear around between the house and vehicles and decided I needed another rig of some sort and was considering the belt option to see if it offered any advantage.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I'll tell you my solution and it might not be what you are looking for.

I use a Wilderness belt with stiffener, always. If I need to grab and go, I pick up my Vertex EDC Essential Bag. Inside is 3 x AR15 magazines, 4 x G19 magazines, and your typical goodies (knife, light, TQ, bottle of water, multitool).

I also have 2 x Bladetech AR mag pouches with mags that easily fit on my EDC belt, along with a Bladetech double Glock mag pouches on top of the bag. Depending on the situation, I can pick and choose if I want to / have the time to put the mag pouches on or just stuff them in the bag to put on later.

My priority was more discretion / concealment. The mag pouches can be covered by an untucked shirt or jacket and the Vertex bag is non-descript. The only thing to standout would be the rifle and I have a bag solution for that as well.

Certainly not something for a run and gun class (I'm considering something for that right now as well), but it's my grab and go solution to be the gray man.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
I'll tell you my solution and it might not be what you are looking for.

I use a Wilderness belt with stiffener, always. If I need to grab and go, I pick up my Vertex EDC Essential Bag. Inside is 3 x AR15 magazines, 4 x G19 magazines, and your typical goodies (knife, light, TQ, bottle of water, multitool).

I also have 2 x Bladetech AR mag pouches with mags that easily fit on my EDC belt, along with a Bladetech double Glock mag pouches on top of the bag. Depending on the situation, I can pick and choose if I want to / have the time to put the mag pouches on or just stuff them in the bag to put on later.

My priority was more discretion / concealment. The mag pouches can be covered by an untucked shirt or jacket and the Vertex bag is non-descript. The only thing to standout would be the rifle and I have a bag solution for that as well.

Certainly not something for a run and gun class (I'm considering something for that right now as well), but it's my grab and go solution to be the gray man.

We seem to always have similar gear choices. My current setup is a Wildnerness belt, Vertx Gamut, inside is a chest rig with 4 AR mags, 4 psitol mags, tq, multi, light, knife.
Small med pouch. DD MK18 with a LAW folder. Topped off with an OR rain jacket which is nice for when it rains but primarily to cover up anything I might be wearing.
Im now wanting to keep a plate carrier behind or under the seat and was looking at belt options as I wanted to keep the carrier slick and low profile(as much as it can be) so I figured if I moved things from my chaet to my belt it would be beneficial.

posted Hide Post
Yeah, we always seem to have similar tastes in gear.

I ordered the Gamut and EDC ready bag at the same time a year or two ago. The Gamut was just a bit too big for my needs, so I returned it and kept the EDC ready bag which I use daily.

As I fly with the ready bag often, I don’t keep a ton of gun stuff in it - usually pistol reloads in a triple ten-speed pouch (easily removable), snivel gear / electronics, and a IIIA panel. So before I leave on a trip I just pull out the mags and check for knives. But it will hold a Scorpion pistol with brace & 4 x 30 mags easily enough if needed.

Your logic makes sense WRT the carrier and belt. A basic PC is on my list right now, but it’ll be more for home use so it’ll likely have some stuff on it.

Picture of PennSig
posted Hide Post
Check out SKD. I go there or to HSGI for this type of gear.

George Washington did what was right. Now it is our time to do the same. Restore the Republic!

Posts: 806 | Registered: October 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Yeah, we always seem to have similar tastes in gear.

I ordered the Gamut and EDC ready bag at the same time a year or two ago. The Gamut was just a bit too big for my needs, so I returned it and kept the EDC ready bag which I use daily.

As I fly with the ready bag often, I don’t keep a ton of gun stuff in it - usually pistol reloads in a triple ten-speed pouch (easily removable), snivel gear / electronics, and a IIIA panel. So before I leave on a trip I just pull out the mags and check for knives. But it will hold a Scorpion pistol with brace & 4 x 30 mags easily enough if needed.

Your logic makes sense WRT the carrier and belt. A basic PC is on my list right now, but it’ll be more for home use so it’ll likely have some stuff on it.

Yeah, if i didnt keep a rifle in mine I imagine I wouldnt have went with a smaller offering. I actually have a few Vertx Gamut and Gamut Plus setup for differnt things from camera bags to EDC.

I have 2 different carriers setup at home. One is kept in a 3 wheeled loadout bag(LBT 6094) with my SHTF setup, its loaded out with paltes on all 4 sides. The other(US Palm Desert Tracker) hangs in the closet upsatirs, its pretty minimalistic, front hard palte, soft armor int he side, no rear plate. The truck setup will be competely slick with the only addition possibly being a low profile triple AR shingle.

posted Hide Post
quote:
The truck setup will be competely slick with the only addition possibly being a low profile triple AR shingle.

Yeah, that is my direction right now, just a PC with front / rears of some variety, and an AR shingle.

I live on some property and have to investigate things at night every couple of months - usually it's just the ready AR, EDC Glock, and a spare AR magazine (I used to just put it in my rear pocket). But it would be nice to just slip on the PC, grab the rifle and be all set.

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
https://www.safariland.com/pro...74hyeeoyh2116yqzwwvd

Have not used it but it looks interesting. I have a PC setup but no belt. I might have to get one.

Posts: 9943 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I have been carrying around a lot of gear on belts at 3 gun matches for more than 10 years now.

Frankly, belts kind of suck.

It became really apparent when they started integrating cars and trucks as props into 3-gun matches.

If you put something on the back of the belt, sitting in any kind of a vehicle for any length of time is very uncomfortable. If you put something on the front of a belt, try getting it out while sitting in a car. It can be done but it isn't very practical or easy.

Drawing a handgun while seated in a car sucks.

Any belt that you put a lot of gear on is immediately going to be the exact opposite of low-profile.

Taking all that weight off of your waist at the end of a long day of 3-gunning feels GREAT.

Best solution I have found is a slim and lightweight simple chest rig. The one I bought can hold 6 rifle mags, two pistol mags and a flashlight, and can be concealed under a windbreaker or jacket.

I bought mine to attach an Invictus shotgun carrier to, and then started putting rifle and pistol mags in it on 3 gun stages where it would be convenient. Fell in love with the setup. I still use my belt gear some but if I were wearing something all day, it would be the chest rig. The weight just doesn't bother me having it on wide comfortable shoulder straps, instead of cinched up tight on my waist to try to keep it from moving.

I have worn it for hours at a time while coyote hunting and it is just plain comfortable.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I don't plan on laoding mine down. Probably jsut 2 AR mags, small ifak, holster. I may add 1 pistol mag pouch but chances are if im using the belt, I'll have a rifle in my hands. I agree the chest rig is a more comfortable optin but a chest rig on top of a carrier. Being as that my belt will be pretty minimal, Im leaning towards a slick carrier with a couple mags on it.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
Taking all that weight off of your waist at the end of a long day of 3-gunning feels GREAT.

Tell me about it.

Now imagine how taking all that off at the end of a long day of work feels. Wink

(Finally peeling your body armor off after a long summer day feels even better, but smells much worse. Big Grin)

Posts: 32417 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an HSGI Slim Grip setup as follows for AR Classes:

•HSGI Laser Slim-Grip Padded Belt/Slotted in Wolf Grey
•HSGI Cobra 1.75” Rigger Belt with D-Ring and Interior Velcro in Wolf Gray
•Blade Tech OWB Classic Holster Mounted to TMMS/Tek-Lok Mount - Black
•First Spear MultiMag Rapid-Adjust Pocket X 2 in Wolf Grey
•Maxpedition Rollypoly MM Folding Dump Pouch Mounted on a Blade Tech TMMS / MOLLE Mount - In Wolf Grey
•HSGI M3T (MULTI-MISSION MEDICAL) TACO Individual First Aid Kit (IFAK) mounted using Blade Tech Molle Clips - In Wolf Grey
IFAK Contents:
•Combat Application Tourniquet® (C-A-T®) (Tactical Black, Gen 7)
•Israeli Emergency Bandage - 4"
•Z-Pak Dressing
•QuikClot® Combat Gauze Z-Folded
•Frog Tape by Phokus Research
•Rusch Adjustable Flange Silkolatex Nasopharyngeal Airway w/lube - Sterile, 28fr
•Hyfin® Vent Chest Seal Twin Pack
•NAR ARS® for Needle Decompression 3.25" 14g
•Black Triton TE Tactical Nitrile Gloves X 2

The key to setting up the HSGI Slim Grip Slotted Belt is use a yard stick to keep the two belts separated until you get them aligned.

Posts: 60 | Registered: January 12, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
This is what I have set up for HD and pistil training.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post